Nail polish color?

I'm bringing dresses in the following colors on my upcoming cruise: royal blue, ivory, black, black polka dot, brown polka dot, tomato red, and yellow. My bathing suits are yellow, green, royal blue and hot pink, aqua, aqua and coral, royal blue, black/white zebra, hot pink, and black.

I HATE clashing, so a bright pink would totally clash with the red dress. The red dress is throwing me off. I do my own no chip gel manicures. I'm thinking coral toes (toes are mostly covered with the nude peep toes I'm wearing with the red dress), and shimmery beige on my fingers. Or can I get away with coral fingers? Any other suggestions?

I like the idea of orange, but it would have to be equally as bright as the yellow, red, and pink you are bringing. It is very fashionable this spring to mix brights, even red, yellow and pink.

Otherwise I would go with a neutral, maybe a nice French manicure or the beige you mentioned. A classic red on fingers and toes is always appropriate IMHO, even with pink.

Or, a very neutral color....tannish/pink...mauve....something along those lines. Nails are not an item of clothing...they won't "clash" with anything!

I like keeping toes and fingers the same....coral would be fine! As long as they're shiny, it's all good! Don't overthink things!

Or, a very neutral color....tannish/pink...mauve....something along those lines. Nails are not an item of clothing...they won't "clash" with anything!

I like keeping toes and fingers the same....coral would be fine! As long as they're shiny, it's all good! Don't overthink things!

I disagree with the clashing...I'll never mix pink nails/red clothing or red nails/pink clothing. That said, you're right...I am overthinking :)

I hate clashing my nail/toe colors with my clothing, too. Totally get it. And, I definitely need the nails and toes to be the same colors. What about a corally pink color--like a watermelon color? The only dress that may be iffy would be the tomato red one. Have you considered leaving that dress out of your cruise wardrobe and replacing it with a different one that would match your nail color? That's probably what I would do.

I did consider leaving out the red dress, but I went through a lot of effort to get this darn dress, and I LOVE it.

I don't think nails and toes need to match. Coordinate, yes, but they definitely don't need to match. In past cruises I changed out the polish midway through the cruise, but that's a pain. No need to do it with the gel manicure.

A classic red or french would go nicely no matter what color you are wearing. I'm sure whatever color that you chose will be fine.

BTW, I always take along the color in case of small chips and a shiny topcoat to refresh.

I'm currently wearing a glitter fade on my toes - it's like a french with pink as the main colour, but instead of a white tip, it's silver holographic glitter that fades from being densely applied to a "barely there" look.

This image has a purple/lilac glitter, but you can get the idea: http://blogs.nailsmag.com/365NailArt/archive/2010/10/20/Day-293-Glitter-Fade-French-Nail-Art.aspx

On cruises, for the same reason as the OP (I don't want to clash), I usually favour Minx, in particular the one called Minxlusion Rose:

http://tornadocalli.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/minxs-minxlusion-rose.html

It's very shimmery and eye-catching, but goes with everything.

I also get it that you love the tomato red dress and need to wear it for your cruise. If I were you, I would do a french mani, however, I noticed on past cruises my french manicures kinda start to get an odd color as the week goes on in the sun and ocean. Maybe that wouldn't be an issue with the gels. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

OP all of the colors that you are planning to take sound so pretty. When I travel I love a brighter, unexpected polish for my pedicure, and a neutral mani color, like the palette below.

OPI-MoonOverMumbaiBlog.jpg

Moon Over Mumbai is my favorite and I've gotten it in gel as well.

On cruises, for the same reason as the OP (I don't want to clash), I usually favour Minx, in particular the one called Minxlusion Rose:

http://tornadocalli.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/minxs-minxlusion-rose.html

It's very shimmery and eye-catching, but goes with everything.

I love the Minx lusion rose......where can I buy it??

I love the Minx lusion rose......where can I buy it??

Minx is a professional product - it's very tricky to get them on unless you know what you're doing. You can find them on Ebay, but I've had lots of clients buy them online only to have to bring them to me to put on as they can't manage it. But they are worth it - I tend to only need one application per summer, as they last about 2 months on me. More than long enough for a cruise!

Try googling "Minx nails + your town" and see what comes up. If you get stuck, just ask and I'll try to find someone in your town for you on a nail forum.

Minx is a professional product - it's very tricky to get them on unless you know what you're doing. You can find them on Ebay, but I've had lots of clients buy them online only to have to bring them to me to put on as they can't manage it. But they are worth it - I tend to only need one application per summer, as they last about 2 months on me. More than long enough for a cruise!

Try googling "Minx nails + your town" and see what comes up. If you get stuck, just ask and I'll try to find someone in your town for you on a nail forum.

Thanks! Think I'll call salons around and see if I can find one using this product. What makes it hard to apply? I normally have manicure/pedicure every two weeks, but it would be great to have manicure to last longer as we're going on a 19 nights cruise with pre and post hotel stays. We'll be gone for 24 days. Does it not show when your nails begin growing out from your original manicure?

Thanks! Think I'll call salons around and see if I can find one using this product. What makes it hard to apply? I normally have manicure/pedicure every two weeks, but it would be great to have manicure to last longer as we're going on a 19 nights cruise with pre and post hotel stays. We'll be gone for 24 days. Does it not show when your nails begin growing out from your original manicure?

For pedicures, MINX lasts much longer (like I said, about 6-8 weeks) but on hands I wouldn't count on it for more than a week. People can't help but pick at it and then they start coming off.

You need to be a nail tech to buy them (or at least you're supposed to be... heaven's knows people are able to obtain them in various ways) because there is a training element to using them. They are applied with a heat source, and while you wouldn't think it was that complicated, they are fiddly. There's lots of over-the-counter options that don't involve heat, but I'm hearing wildly mixed opinions of them (from them lasting a few hours to a week...).

I can do my own Minx pedicure, but it involves a lot of rolling around on the floor and being in tricky positions... I hope no one ever films me doing it for myself! And as for manicures, I can't apply them on my own because you need two hands to do a proper job. Sure, you can just stick them on, but they'd be wrinkled and lift quickly.

I would find someone for a Minx pedicure (and bring a bit of nail adhesive in case you do get a bit of lift), and perhaps a Gelish gel polish for a 21-day manicure? I normally use Shellac and some of my ladies can go 3 or 4 weeks without redoing them, but Gelish is meant to be a bit more long lasting (although it involves a bit of buffing of the nail bed before applying... some people want to avoid this, so Shellac would be your best option there). If you have a classic French or a Glitter Fade with the pink at the base of the nail, it doesn't show the growth as much as a coloured manicure.

While you can see a bit of the growth line, it's generally not noticable by other people if the polish is applied neatly (they only see the colour, not the line).

Good luck deciding!

For pedicures, MINX lasts much longer (like I said, about 6-8 weeks) but on hands I wouldn't count on it for more than a week. People can't help but pick at it and then they start coming off.

You need to be a nail tech to buy them (or at least you're supposed to be... heaven's knows people are able to obtain them in various ways) because there is a training element to using them. They are applied with a heat source, and while you wouldn't think it was that complicated, they are fiddly. There's lots of over-the-counter options that don't involve heat, but I'm hearing wildly mixed opinions of them (from them lasting a few hours to a week...).

I can do my own Minx pedicure, but it involves a lot of rolling around on the floor and being in tricky positions... I hope no one ever films me doing it for myself! And as for manicures, I can't apply them on my own because you need two hands to do a proper job. Sure, you can just stick them on, but they'd be wrinkled and lift quickly.

I would find someone for a Minx pedicure (and bring a bit of nail adhesive in case you do get a bit of lift), and perhaps a Gelish gel polish for a 21-day manicure? I normally use Shellac and some of my ladies can go 3 or 4 weeks without redoing them, but Gelish is meant to be a bit more long lasting (although it involves a bit of buffing of the nail bed before applying... some people want to avoid this, so Shellac would be your best option there). If you have a classic French or a Glitter Fade with the pink at the base of the nail, it doesn't show the growth as much as a coloured manicure.

While you can see a bit of the growth line, it's generally not noticable by other people if the polish is applied neatly (they only see the colour, not the line).

Good luck deciding!

Thanks so much for all the information. I don't do my own nails, but thought this was polish. So, this is some kind of stick on product? I have had gelish on my fingernails, and it did last longer than normal. I felt it damaged my nails either soaking it off with pure accetone or the buffing or a combination of both. Maybe I'll just stick with a regular mani/pedi(or do the glitter fade mani) and have another manicure on the ship when needed.

I use a color called "Gold Tipped Rose" by Ulta, mostly on my toenails but sometimes on my fingernails too. Here's the link, but I don't think this is a great picture of the color. I find that it is a real chameleon color and tends to go with every color I wear.

http://m.ulta.com/mt/www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp;jsessionid=028EB570E05EFC0FF30E9F448F692097.p-a2-app1?productId=xlsImpprod3570051&skuId=2230823&un_jtt_v_page=1#crbar

I'm bringing dresses in the following colors on my upcoming cruise: royal blue, ivory, black, black polka dot, brown polka dot, tomato red, and yellow. My bathing suits are yellow, green, royal blue and hot pink, aqua, aqua and coral, royal blue, black/white zebra, hot pink, and black.

I HATE clashing, so a bright pink would totally clash with the red dress. The red dress is throwing me off. I do my own no chip gel manicures. I'm thinking coral toes (toes are mostly covered with the nude peep toes I'm wearing with the red dress), and shimmery beige on my fingers. Or can I get away with coral fingers? Any other suggestions?

My 'go-to' colors tend to be black, white, some brown, red, turquoise, pink now and then, an occasional purple, & green. I love the OPI gel color called Cajun Shrimp. It seems to go whether I wear red or pink.

Archived