Need advice! Book now or wait?

We've just completed our first HAL cruise (absolutely fabulous)and we want to book another for next March! As we were using travel points, we had to book through our credit card travel company and booked only 3 months before the cruise. The next cruise won't be on points and I'm not sure the best way to book. Should I deal directly with HAL? Use a TA? And... should I book now, or wait? Do the prices typically come down or are they less expensive the farther away the cruise date is. I'd appreciate any tips or info from experienced HAL cruisers.

Thanks!

There is no way to predict if prices will go up, go down or stay the same.

We usually book cruises about a year in advance and have seen all three options happen.

We book as soon as we know what cruises we want as we get the cabin we want.

If prices drop before final payment, you can usually get the benefit of that.

We've just completed our first HAL cruise (absolutely fabulous)and we want to book another for next March! As we were using travel points, we had to book through our credit card travel company and booked only 3 months before the cruise. The next cruise won't be on points and I'm not sure the best way to book. Should I deal directly with HAL? Use a TA? And... should I book now, or wait? Do the prices typically come down or are they less expensive the farther away the cruise date is. I'd appreciate any tips or info from experienced HAL cruisers.

Thanks!

Book thru a TA (they will give you the best deal) and book now so you can get the cabin you want and sometimes you get a better price when you book early.

If I'm not mistaken, if you book withing 60 days of leaving a ship, you will qualify for at least a $50pp OBC. Some people get the email, but if you don't, just ask the agent. They usually know what you are talking about.

If I'm not mistaken, if you book withing 60 days of leaving a ship, you will qualify for at least a $50pp OBC. Some people get the email, but if you don't, just ask the agent. They usually know what you are talking about.

I've never heard of that & I don't remember receiving an e-mail about it eiither..But very interested in knowing about it as we disembarked the NA on Feb 11 & booked our Jan Grand cruise on April 11..Since be booked within 60 days shouldn't we be entitled to the extra OBC too? :confused: Anyone know what OV girl is talking about..

Many times we purchase a FCC on board, for $100 per person which is the only deposit required on any future cruise, with the exception of World & Grand cruises...You have 4 yrs to decide which cruise you want to apply it to..By using the FCC you are entitled to an OBC depending on type of cabin & length of cruise..

To the OP..I would definately call or go on-line with HAL now & get a fare quote on the cruise you want.. Then call some on-line Travel Agents & see what they have to offer..Ask if they give OBC's.. Be careful some of them charge fees if you cancel or change your reservation.. Also ask the TA if your deposit & final payment is processed by HAL..If not steer clear of that Agent..Our experience has been that a TA will give you a better deal..We always get between 8 & 12% less from a TA..Ask them if the price goes down before final payment will they adjust the price? We've had our fares adjusted on bookings & our TA advised us a few days ago that if the price comes down before the penalty date on our Grand cruise (120 days) he will adjust the price....

Don't wait, as you might not get the cabin you want..Ask questions..

Good luck..cheers..:)Betty

One strategy is to book the lowest category that you would be comfortable with fairly early on and then watch for sales. If one comes along, normally you can upgrade your cabin to a higher category (but I do not think it works in reverse) for little or no extra money.

This way you lock in a cabin that is acceptable on a cruise you want, and do not risk the chance of prices going up or the sailing being filled while you are waiting for a price drop to occur.

DaveOKC

We book cruises as soon as possible in order to get the cabin we want.

I watch for price reductions -- never seems to happen for our cabin category - SA. But I have seen prices drop for the lower cabin categories.

We prefer to use a TA and have been fortunate to have one for over 23 years.

As for receiving e-mails offering shipboard credit -- never got one.

I've never heard of that & I don't remember receiving an e-mail about it eiither..But very interested in knowing about it as we disembarked the NA on Feb 11 & booked our Jan Grand cruise on April 11..Since be booked within 60 days shouldn't we be entitled to the extra OBC too? :confused: Anyone know what OV girl is talking about..

Many times we purchase a FCC on board, for $100 per person which is the only deposit required on any future cruise, with the exception of World & Grand cruises...You have 4 yrs to decide which cruise you want to apply it to..By using the FCC you are entitled to an OBC depending on type of cabin & length of cruise..

To the OP..I would definately call or go on-line with HAL now & get a fare quote on the cruise you want.. Then call some on-line Travel Agents & see what they have to offer..Ask if they give OBC's.. Be careful some of them charge fees if you cancel or change your reservation.. Also ask the TA if your deposit & final payment is processed by HAL..If not steer clear of that Agent..Our experience has been that a TA will give you a better deal..We always get between 8 & 12% less from a TA..Ask them if the price goes down before final payment will they adjust the price? We've had our fares adjusted on bookings & our TA advised us a few days ago that if the price comes down before the penalty date on our Grand cruise (120 days) he will adjust the price....

Don't wait, as you might not get the cabin you want..Ask questions..

Good luck..cheers..:)Betty

Hi Betty - yes, I have gotten the email twice now (never received it before). This is on top of the FCC.

here is the info for you:

LENGTH OF ITINERARYINTERIOROCEAN VIEW/

LANAIVERANDAH/

VERANDAH SUITEDELUXE VERANDAH SUITE7 – 11 days$25$25$35$50 12+ days$50$50$75$100

To take advantage of this Mariner benefit, call your Travel Professional or Holland America Line at 1-866-920-2332 (mention Promo code ZPM & ZPN).

So there are the codes - Good Luck:D

We book cruises as soon as possible in order to get the cabin we want.

I watch for price reductions -- never seems to happen for our cabin category - SA. But I have seen prices drop for the lower cabin categories.

We prefer to use a TA and have been fortunate to have one for over 23 years.

As for receiving e-mails offering shipboard credit -- never got one.

The price for my interior stateroom on my recent Caribbean cruise onboard the Noordam dropped almost $600 at final payment! :)

It depends - if you don't care where you go or the cabin or ship you have you can wait until you see those last minute discounts.

if the ship matters and the itinerary and maybe even the cabin, (which it does for us), then we book as soon as possible. If the price drops before final payment we still get the benefit. :) Air fare for us is a big deal and usually prices are better earlier than later.

It's also worth noting that we have seen prices go up for cruises as well as down. Booking early can pay off:D

There's also the 'how hands on' a traveler are you? If you want to be in charge of your arrangements, then do it yourself. It's easy.

If you want someone else to do the work, then talk to TA's.

We've never found that perfect TA that gave great service and saved us money, but others here have.

Even if you use a TA, keep tracking prices yourself.

Hi Betty - yes, I have gotten the email twice now (never received it before). This is on top of the FCC.

here is the info for you:

LENGTH OF ITINERARYINTERIOROCEAN VIEW/

LANAIVERANDAH/

VERANDAH SUITEDELUXE VERANDAH SUITE7 – 11 days$25$25$35$50 12+ days$50$50$75$100

To take advantage of this Mariner benefit, call your Travel Professional or Holland America Line at 1-866-920-2332 (mention Promo code ZPM & ZPN).

So there are the codes - Good Luck:D

Thanks Jacqui...I'll call our TA tomorrow..On Grand Cruises you can't use an FCC, but we did get a generous OBC from HAL for booking prior to May 15 & also getting a reduction in fare for paying in full prior to May 31..By the way do you know if that is per cabin or per person?

We may very well have received that e-mail & I may even have ignored it, as hadn't planned to book so soon..From now on I'll read my e-mails from HAL very carefully..;):o

Also wonder if HAL will give us the extra OBC for booking within 60 days..It's worth a try..I'll post here when I find out..Thanks again..

Cheers...Betty

Thanks Jacqui...I'll call our TA tomorrow..On Grand Cruises you can't use an FCC, but we did get a generous OBC from HAL for booking prior to May 15 & also getting a reduction in fare for paying in full prior to May 31..

We may very well have received that e-mail & I may even have ignored it, as hadn't planned to book so soon..From now on I'll read my e-mails from HAL very carefully..;):o

Also wonder if HAL will give us the extra OBC for booking within 60 days..It's worth a try..I'll post here when I find out..Thanks again..

Cheers...Betty

Betty - glad i could help - good luck with your TA - they should know the code - but in case they don't I wanted to include it for you. :D

Archived