Genie Bras....

sail7seas

I love the Genie Bra, but there is some kinks to work out. I haven't put another bra on in about 8 months. It took a few trys to get the right size, so I'll tell you about sizing for someone my size. I ended up with the Large. I take about a 34DD or 36D. I'm petite, not even 5'. I weigh about 110lbs.:rolleyes:(more or less!) I have 9 of them, but they vary slightly in fit with how the straps are (some straps might stretch more then others.) I hope this helps for anyone looking to purchase it. When you use it without the pads it's more sports-like in looks. The pads really add shape. My SIL is flat chested but tall and slim. She thought she'd take a small, but went with the medium, but my large size fit her well, also.

I don't get the thin comment... many people including myself are thin and have D or larger cup sizes. Being thin has no impact on what type of support you need from a bra. Being small chested is what determines not needing it.

I've never seen a large woman with small breasts. And generally thin women likewise have small breasts. Not everyone obviously but most commonly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a problem with underwire bras at an airport, luckily, but I can see that if has happened to you, you'd be extra cautious.

I tried the Genie bras--worst bra I've ever had. I bought a size large than recommended on the package; tight, constricting, no suppost, ack!

Maybe they would be okay for someone with a small breast size. I'm not huge, but apparently too big for the Genies!

Like Lois, they went back to the store the next day.

I've never seen a large woman with small breasts. And generally thin women likewise have small breasts. Not everyone obviously but most commonly.

Apparently you haven't looked at Victoria's Secret models... or just about any swimsuit model. It's actually not hard to find a bra in a 34 or 36D/DD when in the specialty stores. There are many women with large breasts (both natural and enhanced) if you actually look around... at least in the US.

Apparently you haven't looked at Victoria's Secret models... or just about any swimsuit model. It's actually not hard to find a bra in a 34 or 36D/DD when in the specialty stores. There are many women with large breasts (both natural and enhanced) if you actually look around... at least in the US.

Totally agreed. I have a heavier friend, size 20 or so, and she is a B cup. My closest friend is a size 6 and a 32DD naturally.

I disagree. I'm a size 6 and wear a D cup and "that time of the month" I could use a DD. I have two friends who weigh about 300 pounds and are a B cup.

Yes, maybe that's the difference here. In Australia in most cases, women with large breasts are not thin. We don't have Victoria's secret marketed much here, if at all. But we are all just taking anecdotally here anyway.

My mom, as well as me, have the Genie Bra. My dm is about a 40 D, and spent her life trying to find the perfect bra. She never wore an underwire, nor have I. She loves the Genie Bra also. Our one complaint with it is the pads. In the summer heat, they are hot! They are removable, but when removed, you don't want to wear anything form-fitting.

As it's been said, it might not be a bra for everything you wear, but it's certainly a good choice for comfort. It is better then a Sports Bra.

I may even be in the wrong size and have thought about going to Dillard's to get fitted properly but am just a little squeamish about it. :o. I guess they got touch and move the girls around, right?

Gawk what a prude. :D

I wouldn't say that makes you a prude, but I would encourage you to reevaluate your bra size! I was amazed when I heard statistics about how many women wear the wrong size bra. I've forgotten the figures, of course, but it was much higher than I expected…

There's an excellent section on Her Room on bras. It has great instructions on measuring yourself (if you don't want someone else to do it). There's also an excellent bra fitting checklist, which is even available as a PDF you can print out or save to your smartphone.

The amount of information they have on bras is amazingly exhaustive! There are separate articles on bands, cups, underwires, center panels, straps, styles…you name it, they discuss it!

I'm busty (36DD), and like many busty women I've always hated bras. I recently reevaluated my size, and was amazed. Between finding the correct size, wearing the band correctly, and adjusting the straps the right way, I'm astoundingly more comfortable!

Thanks for this thread , I have seen these advertised on TV and wondered about them. Do they only come in S M L XL. I am plus size and ware a 42DD , so perhaps this would not be a good fit for me, I am thinking of one as a sleep bra or comfort for long trips, so the band of the bra would not get uncomfortable . Thanks for the info. I am modest and don't ware low cut or tight things , would it work for me. I can go to Bed Bath and Beyond and also CVS out here.

Cori

The sizes go up to 4X, if you can find them. I'm a 42DD also and find them comfortable. But I only wear them around the house. At my size, they fit like a sports bra, but they are lighter weight & cooler. They don't give me the 'unibra' look, but it's close. I also tossed those 'modesty' pads. It just too much fussing to get them aimed in the same direction. I got mine at Wal*Mart, up at the front of the store where they have all the "as seen on TV" items.

I've often wondered about the underwires and airport security. I don't fly much but for a few hours it is all about comfort! I am average so it easy to just go braless with a thick tee shirt and a hoodie over top. Comfortable, not sexy LOL and warm enough for chilly areas.

~ Jules ~

My daughter is a DD and almost always sets off the alarms at the airport. Right after 9/11 they even tried to get her to remove her bra, I think they have calibrated things a bit better since.

I hate bras! I thought they would be a good choice for comfort. I'm (right now) 40 B, think they would work for me? I may even be in the wrong size and have thought about going to Dillard's to get fitted properly but am just a little squeamish about it. :o. I guess they got touch and move the girls around, right?

Gawk what a prude. :D

Debbie, yes I hate them too. First thing to come off when I get home. Even before i read the mail. LOL Most time in the summer they are gone before I put the car in 'drive' I run out and remember there are 3 or 4 in the back seat LOL

~ Jules ~

I am a fan of the genie bra. I discarded the pads. They do however begin to wear with numerous washings. You can buy them at Walmart as well or anywhere the As Seen on TV stuff is sold.

Got tired of not being able to find bras without padding.

• 2 months later...

Sail, I wanted to thank you for this thread. I bought the two-pack and I am definitely wearing one on my 14 hour flights to and from Australia.

As for sizing, I wear a 34D bra. Love Wacoal by the way. According to the size chart I should wear a Large. When I went to pay at BB&B the clerk advised me to go up one size to an XL. I did and they fit perfectly. I disposed of the pads. I find this much easier to put on than my previous smoother that was hip length. It also stays put and doesn't roll up.

To take this thread a little further off topic :D -- Sail and a couple of others mentioned they wear Wacoal bras, and the comment was made that they are very expensive. Just thought I'd share that I get mine at Marshall's where typical "full" price is $12.99 and I've bought some on their clearance rack for as little as $7.99. I figure they are last year's styles but well, they are bras, who would know?

I know they may carry the Wacoal brand, but have you tried to find them in a 36DD? I've never been successful, other than a full fare department store. Not saying it could not happen, but it has not, in my experience. Silver

Pushka, pop into David Jones or Myer and you will find plenty of 12D, 12DD, 10DD. While generallly these lucky super slim ladies (an Australian 10 is probably an American 6 or 8, by the way) are smaller breasted, that's not necessarily the case. Also, I've had a few friends who are big girls but with fairly small breasts, taking no more than a B cup (one of my sisters is a case in point), and I have a couple of in-laws who are really big girls with very small breasts.

I just hate the look of those genie bras, and like a nice bit of support. I like my underwires and my lace. I'm a DD cup and I think support is the most important thing for breasts, not comfort - they don't have any muscles and need all the help they can get to sit up straight and pay attention.

Pushka, pop into David Jones or Myer and you will find plenty of 12D, 12DD, 10DD. While generallly these lucky super slim ladies (an Australian 10 is probably an American 6 or 8, by the way) are smaller breasted, that's not necessarily the case. Also, I've had a few friends who are big girls but with fairly small breasts, taking no more than a B cup (one of my sisters is a case in point), and I have a couple of in-laws who are really big girls with very small breasts.

I just hate the look of those genie bras, and like a nice bit of support. I like my underwires and my lace. I'm a DD cup and I think support is the most important thing for breasts, not comfort - they don't have any muscles and need all the help they can get to sit up straight and pay attention.

I agre with the last paragraph but I think most of us (I know it's true for me) are talking about wearing the no-bra bras for travel only. For my next cruise I have a 2-3 hour drive to the airport, a 3 hour wait for the flight, a 14 hour flight, 3 hours or more before boarding, and who knows how long before I see my luggage. Comfort is key. And yes my underwire has set off the metal detector. I've also tried a wireless bra and the hooks in back set it off! I guess they are super paranoid here in California. :p

Sail, I wanted to thank you for this thread. I bought the two-pack and I am definitely wearing one on my 14 hour flights to and from Australia.

As for sizing, I wear a 34D bra. Love Wacoal by the way. According to the size chart I should wear a Large. When I went to pay at BB&B the clerk advised me to go up one size to an XL. I did and they fit perfectly. I disposed of the pads. I find this much easier to put on than my previous smoother that was hip length. It also stays put and doesn't roll up.

I'm happy for those who have found this thread helpful and for whom the genie bras work. :)

I agree to size up. The chart on the back of the box is on the 'conservative' side. IMO I also discarded the pads.

The clerk at BB*B did you a favor and saved you having to come back for an exchange. :)

Have a safe flight and wonderful cruise. :)

I agre with the last paragraph but I think most of us (I know it's true for me) are talking about wearing the no-bra bras for travel only. For my next cruise I have a 2-3 hour drive to the airport, a 3 hour wait for the flight, a 14 hour flight, 3 hours or more before boarding, and who knows how long before I see my luggage. Comfort is key. And yes my underwire has set off the metal detector. I've also tried a wireless bra and the hooks in back set it off! I guess they are super paranoid here in California. :p

Yes. I want these bras for travel. I never want my underwire or bra hooks to again set off a metal detector at the airport. I had a negative experience with an aggressive security person and now am sure to avoid any risk of it happening again. No underwires, no bra hooks means no beep at the metal detector.

Just a note for any mastectomy women out there: according to women on my breast cancer board, the Genie bra works well to hold prostheses and are a lot more comfortable than the iron maiden mastectomy bras.

If I still had my external prostheses, I would give them a try.

I have a prostheses and I tried the Genie bra. Couldn't take it back fast enough. There is absolutely NO support. I wear a "normal" bra from department stores and have a prostheses and have absolutely no trouble.

As an aside, I had a "underwire" break in two pieces one time and it was plastic, not wire.

I haven't been to the States, but have lots of friends who have and they would certainly agree that minimising the chance of those beepers going off is a real high priority. I can also imagine that such a bra would be super comfortable for travel. I have noticed advertising for a new style one, covered in lots of lovely French lace and with a slightly different design, and I could be tempted for that because when we travel to Europe, which we do a fair bit, we're often travelling for 30 hours or so, including 18 hours on a plane. :)

I have a prostheses and I tried the Genie bra. Couldn't take it back fast enough. There is absolutely NO support. I wear a "normal" bra from department stores and have a prostheses and have absolutely no trouble.

As an aside, I had a "underwire" break in two pieces one time and it was plastic, not wire.

Yes, I've had bras with a plastic "wire" but there are also metal ones.

Archived