First Time cruisers w/ BABY

camara381

Hi everyone, we will be tcruising for the first time on RCCL Liberty of the Seas on 6/2. We will be travelling with our 6 month old son? Any tips or advice? He is on formula and will need bottled water, should we bring our own or get the bottled water package?

If you must have bottled water, bring it....much cheaper than the ship's bottled water! The tap water is fine, too.

Bring all the baby gear you will need, including any possible medications. The ship doesn't carry baby stuff.

Don't overplan! Let your child dictate the schedule....everyone will be happier that way!

Babies are welcome on the ship...in the dining room, too! Don't avoid things just because you have a little one with you!

Some cruise lines will provide baby food if you request in advance.

Also, a stroller that baby can sleep in is a huge plus but I would definitely say umbrella size or smaller. Narrow hallways make it difficult to maneuver even with the umbrella stroller.

Water wise, there is filtered water at the buffet areas that I would be comfortable using. Worked fine for my 1 year old and he has a very sensitive tummy. I would just not want to pack anything unnecessary since there is SO much to bring with a little one.

Go light on toys. There is so many things to look at plus they are amused by an empty cup at this age. ;-)

Enjoy!

Hi everyone, we will be tcruising for the first time on RCCL Liberty of the Seas on 6/2. We will be travelling with our 6 month old son? Any tips or advice? He is on formula and will need bottled water, should we bring our own or get the bottled water package?

I too will be traveling with an infant. I was curious how permissive Royal Caribbean will be with bringing formula and pedialyte with their ban on beverages. How will you be bringing on bottled water when it is against their policy? I wouldn't be surprised if they confiscated the formula and tried to sell a formula card to the baby for $75. Mildly kidding with the last part, but I am interested in hearing about their policy.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

And don't forget that your baby counts as a passenger, and needs to be included in tipping :)

(I only say this as a lot of people mention on here that they think it's unfair that you need to tip for babies, or even pay for their presence onboard... babies make a lot of work for the crew members, and they deserve their tips for looking after them. This post isn't to infer that you weren't planning on tipping, but just to outline to anyone else reading it that the expectation is there.)

Have a fantastic trip! You and your baby will have a great time!

I too will be traveling with an infant. I was curious how permissive Royal Caribbean will be with bringing formula and pedialyte with their ban on beverages. How will you be bringing on bottled water when it is against their policy? I wouldn't be surprised if they confiscated the formula and tried to sell a formula card to the baby for $75. Mildly kidding with the last part, but I am interested in hearing about their policy.

One other thing. Make sure your baby has a passport.

I called today and the rep advised that there would be no problem bring bottled water on board for the baby's formula. She said I could check it in with the luggage. I also asked about formula and she advised they do not sell formula on board.

Thank you. We got his passport soon after he was born.:D

And don't forget that your baby counts as a passenger, and needs to be included in tipping :)

(I only say this as a lot of people mention on here that they think it's unfair that you need to tip for babies, or even pay for their presence onboard... babies make a lot of work for the crew members, and they deserve their tips for looking after them. This post isn't to infer that you weren't planning on tipping, but just to outline to anyone else reading it that the expectation is there.)

Have a fantastic trip! You and your baby will have a great time!

I was not aware that he needs to tip as well, so if I do pre-paid gratuites is he included in there or will i have to tip seperate for him? :confused: I am curious to know what extra work they create for the crew members? I assumed they would not be involved much other that the nursery if used.

Check out the Family Cruises board under Special Interest Cruising.

Here's a thread to get you started--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1623277

Thank you so much, that thread was very helpful!!!

Some cruise lines will provide baby food if you request in advance.

Also, a stroller that baby can sleep in is a huge plus but I would definitely say umbrella size or smaller. Narrow hallways make it difficult to maneuver even with the umbrella stroller.

Water wise, there is filtered water at the buffet areas that I would be comfortable using. Worked fine for my 1 year old and he has a very sensitive tummy. I would just not want to pack anything unnecessary since there is SO much to bring with a little one.

Go light on toys. There is so many things to look at plus they are amused by an empty cup at this age. ;-)

Enjoy!

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I am a bit worried about the stroller, we have a Peg Perego and fear that it may be a bit too big. We plan on brining bottled water only because it is what he is accustomed to and would hate to have something go worng because of the water.

If you must have bottled water, bring it....much cheaper than the ship's bottled water! The tap water is fine, too.

Bring all the baby gear you will need, including any possible medications. The ship doesn't carry baby stuff.

Don't overplan! Let your child dictate the schedule....everyone will be happier that way!

Babies are welcome on the ship...in the dining room, too! Don't avoid things just because you have a little one with you!

Does the ship carry anything other than diapers? i was planning on buying the necessary stuff on the ship but may have to pack some now! :eek:

I called today and the rep advised that there would be no problem bring bottled water on board for the baby's formula. She said I could check it in with the luggage. I also asked about formula and she advised they do not sell formula on board.

Thank you. We got his passport soon after he was born.:D

I was not aware that he needs to tip as well, so if I do pre-paid gratuites is he included in there or will i have to tip seperate for him? :confused: I am curious to know what extra work they create for the crew members? I assumed they would not be involved much other that the nursery if used.

Our daughter was about 10 months old on her first cruise, but we never carried bottled water for her formula - the ship's water was just fine.

Diapers will be very expensive to buy onboard - I would pack a large package or two (plus lots of wipes!), put them in a box, and check it in with your luggage. There is a company that will deliver a shipment of diapers/formula/various baby items to the ship (if you aren't in a position to stop at a store first to buy them) but I don't know it off the top of my head - I'm sure another cruiser here will know.

For the tipping, I would just leave the autogratuity in place, but you could cancel it and just tip individually as you see fit. Your cabin staff will still have to make up your baby's bed and deal with dirty diaper disposal, although I understand that the dining staff may not have as much to do if your son isn't eating table food yet (at 6 months, some babies are starting on table food, and in these cases will be extremely messy in the dining room!) I know our 10 month old daughter, while pretty tidy, still made a lot of extra mess that took up our server's time. They deserve their tips if they are cleaning up after that.

Your 6 month old might like a little splash pool to use on deck - our kids always loved these (as you can't take them in the pool, even with swim diapers on). They are the little inflatable pools, about 2 feet wide - fill them up with a bit of pool water, and give your little one some small toys or cups to play in the water in. Then dump the water into the drain (not back in the pool) after play time is over. Our kids could amuse themselves for hours this way, and I could sit outside and watch them (we always found shady spots... I'm not a real sun person).

Have a fanastic time!

babies under 2 do not need to tip

Your 6 month old might like a little splash pool to use on deck - our kids always loved these (as you can't take them in the pool, even with swim diapers on). They are the little inflatable pools, about 2 feet wide - fill them up with a bit of pool water, and give your little one some small toys or cups to play in the water in. Then dump the water into the drain (not back in the pool) after play time is over. Our kids could amuse themselves for hours this way, and I could sit outside and watch them (we always found shady spots... I'm not a real sun person).

Make sure you take her advice with the blow up. There is no where to bathe the baby unless you have a suite with a tub. The blow up can be used as a tub for the baby also. :o

[/b]

Make sure you take her advice with the blow up. There is no where to bathe the baby unless you have a suite with a tub. The blow up can be used as a tub for the baby also. :o

[/b]

i'm getting awesome advice from this thread that i'm sure my wife didn't know. Thanks camara for starting the thread. When I booked the trip and selected MTD it automatically added prepaid gratuities for the baby. Is this true that under 2 no gratuities?

I've never heard the "no gratuities" rule for children under 2, and we've sailed with Carnival, Disney and RCCL. Some cruise lines may not ask for the babies to tip, but I'd take that on a cruiseline-by-cruiseline basis.

As per the RCCL site:

Suite attendant:USD 5.75a day per guestStateroom attendant:USD 3.50a day per guestDining Room Waiter:USD 3.50a day per guestAssistant Waiter:USD 2.00a day per guestHead Waiter:USD 0.75a day per guest

For new bookings that set sail on or after 1 July 2011, the suggested tips are:

Suite Attendant/Housekeeping Services:USD 7.25a day per guestStateroom Attendant/Housekeeping Services:USD 5.00a day per guestDining Room Waiter:USD 3.75a day per guestAssistant Waiter:USD 2.15a day per guestHead Waiter:USD 0.75per person per day

Note: As of 9 December 2010, Royal Caribbean International is adjusting the suggested daily tips for dining and stateroom attendant/ housekeeping services. This is Royal Caribbean's first tip adjustment in 13 years and puts our suggestions in line with our competitors. The new guidelines apply to new reservations made for sailings on or after 1 July 2011. These tips apply to guests of all ages.

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15 % gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served.

Tips are voluntary and at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as suggestions to help guests express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their Royal Caribbean cruise holiday.

These tips apply to guests of all ages.

http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq&wuc=GBR

Note: As of 9 December 2010, Royal Caribbean International is adjusting the suggested daily tips for dining and stateroom attendant/ housekeeping services. This is Royal Caribbean's first tip adjustment in 13 years and puts our suggestions in line with our competitors. The new guidelines apply to new reservations made for sailings on or after 1 July 2011. These tips apply to guests of all ages.

So to add to the confusion, babies are expected to tip, but tips are voluntary. Go figure.

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I am a bit worried about the stroller, we have a Peg Perego and fear that it may be a bit too big.

Does the ship carry anything other than diapers? i was planning on buying the necessary stuff on the ship but may have to pack some now! :eek:

Your Peg should be good unless its the twin stroller (side by side) then yes that would be too big.

You want to bring everything that you need with you. Do not take the chance the ship will carry those items- (suppose if they are sold out)

Take extra nappies and leave the formula in it original container ( gives security less to question you about) . You will have a ball and most of the other passengers will love meeting your little one too , out little girl had a new family of nannas and pops for the 3 weeks we went around australia. Everyone wanted to play with her and hold her it was a great trip.

:D

[/b]

Excellent! Thank you. I was planning on bring toys and floaters for the pool, so glad now I know he wont be able to enjoy them. I have not been able to find small blow up pools of tubs but will keep looking, everything seems so big.

Take extra nappies and leave the formula in it original container ( gives security less to question you about) . You will have a ball and most of the other passengers will love meeting your little one too , out little girl had a new family of nannas and pops for the 3 weeks we went around australia. Everyone wanted to play with her and hold her it was a great trip.

:D

I was planning on transfering the formula to zip lock bags, probably would look a bit suspicious? white powder in plastic bags!!! :eek:

I've never heard the "no gratuities" rule for children under 2, and we've sailed with Carnival, Disney and RCCL. Some cruise lines may not ask for the babies to tip, but I'd take that on a cruiseline-by-cruiseline basis.

As per the RCCL site:

Suite attendant:USD 5.75a day per guestStateroom attendant:USD 3.50a day per guestDining Room Waiter:USD 3.50a day per guestAssistant Waiter:USD 2.00a day per guestHead Waiter:USD 0.75a day per guest

For new bookings that set sail on or after 1 July 2011, the suggested tips are:

Suite Attendant/Housekeeping Services:USD 7.25a day per guestStateroom Attendant/Housekeeping Services:USD 5.00a day per guestDining Room Waiter:USD 3.75a day per guestAssistant Waiter:USD 2.15a day per guestHead Waiter:USD 0.75per person per day

Tips for other service personnel are at your discretion. A 15 % gratuity will automatically be added to your bar bill or wine bill when you are served.

Tips are voluntary and at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as suggestions to help guests express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their Royal Caribbean cruise holiday.

These tips apply to guests of all ages.

http://bookings.royalcaribbean.co.uk/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=263&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq&wuc=GBR

So to add to the confusion, babies are expected to tip, but tips are voluntary. Go figure.

Just to clarify for everyone I double checked- we did pre paid gratuities and the baby paid the same amount as the adults.

Definitely take the formula in the original container. I would prepare a big box with all the baby things, diapers, wipes, extra wipes, extra wipes, extra diapers, formula, bottled water for formula, etc. I would also add some of the single serving formula packets if your child will drink that brand. They could be a life-saver if you are headed on an excursion!

I would spread the baby gear through all your suitcases just in case a suitcase gets lost or delayed arriving in your stateroom. Also, be sure to hand carry enough supplies to get you through the first day and evening. Again, sometimes luggage does not arrive until after dinner.

I would spread the baby gear through all your suitcases just in case a suitcase gets lost or delayed arriving in your stateroom. Also, be sure to hand carry enough supplies to get you through the first day and evening. Again, sometimes luggage does not arrive until after dinner.

I agree. Spread the baby stuff throughout every suitcase. Heaven forbid that is the suitcase that goes missing. My DD stuffed diapers in every nook and cranny which left room for stuff to come home. You can carry the box of baby stuff on if needed. You should also bring one of those thingys (can't remember the official name) like a garbage bag only it's scented and you dispose dirty diapers in them. That way you don't have to be in a cabin with stinky smells and won't gross out your steward.

I agree also that you will need to tip for the baby. You will have extra clutter, you'll use towels, mess up the room etc causing work for the steward. The baby will be taking up a space when you eat and the dining staff will spend a considerable amount of time saying hi to him/her every chance they get. The fawning over your child is worth it alone LOL.

Archived