Fod

Ihave read on here to check when the FODwas going on. The reply was to look at the newsletter in your room. They said they meet at night in a club. That is all i know (one person said they are called the friends of dorthy).

from Wiki

Starting in the late 1980s, on several cruise lines, gay passengers began approaching ship staff, asking them to publicise gatherings in the daily cruise activity list. As the cruise lines were hesitant to announce such things so blatantly in their daily publications, they would list the gathering as a "Meeting of the Friends of Dorothy". Such meetings have expanded in popularity and frequency over the years. Now, many cruise lines will have multiple "FOD" events, sometimes as many as one each night

IME this Wiki post is accurate

On about our 3rd cruise, I saw a sign for the Friends of Bill. I remembered seeing these signs every single day for a meeting of the Friends of Bill. Finally, I said to my daughters that Bill must sure be a popular guy because he had a private party every day on each of our cruises. I wanted to know what you had to do to get invited to Bill's. Luckily they told me before I embarrassed myself and crashed the "party" out of curiosity.

Friends of Dorothy Society (FODS) is a subtly named meeting group for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people -- along the lines of "Friends of Bill W." being a subtle group name for Alcoholics Anonymous. A name to avoid the highlighting the core of the group for worry of any prejudice or abuse. The Dorothy in question is the heroine of The Wizard of Oz (and the Bill W in that title is one of the founders of AA).

On about our 3rd cruise, I saw a sign for the Friends of Bill. I remembered seeing these signs every single day for a meeting of the Friends of Bill. Finally, I said to my daughters that Bill must sure be a popular guy because he had a private party every day on each of our cruises. I wanted to know what you had to do to get invited to Bill's. Luckily they told me before I embarrassed myself and crashed the "party" out of curiosity.

Ha ha ha I was shy to ask, came home and Googled later :)

And only after that I found those sticky notes on this forum that explain all abbreviations.

Archived