What is Northern Europe/Baltics Cruise like?

My wife and I have cruised the Mediterranean, the British Isles, numerous caribbean cruises, Alaska cruises etc. but we would like your opinion on how the Northern Europe/Baltics compares .....is this a really great cruise or just a good one .... it's expensive and I'd like to be sure that it's worth it in your opinion. The cruise we're looking at takes in St. Petersburg, Gdansk Poland, Riga Latvia, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Coperhagen, Bruges, Visby, Tallinn,Berlin etc. We know this cruise tends to attract an older crowd - because of this, do the cruise ships and tour operators run things a bit too slow and limited in terms of getting around and really seeing things and doing things at these places?

Another question - we usually take the cruise ship excursions - but on occasion we've gone with a private provider as recommended by cruise critic members and had a great tour with significant savings. Of the cities and towns I've named, what advice do you have for us? (Must-See stuff - and "don't bother" stuff) and equally important - have you booked excursions privately at any of these ports and had good results? Anxious to hear your replies - Thanks very much - John and Charlotte, Canada

My wife and I have cruised the Mediterranean, the British Isles, numerous caribbean cruises, Alaska cruises etc. but we would like your opinion on how the Northern Europe/Baltics compares .....is this a really great cruise or just a good one .... it's expensive and I'd like to be sure that it's worth it in your opinion. The cruise we're looking at takes in St. Petersburg, Gdansk Poland, Riga Latvia, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Coperhagen, Bruges, Visby, Tallinn,Berlin etc. We know this cruise tends to attract an older crowd - because of this, do the cruise ships and tour operators run things a bit too slow and limited in terms of getting around and really seeing things and doing things at these places? Another question - we usually take the cruise ship excursions - but on occasion we've gone with a private provider as recommended by cruise critic members and had a great tour with significant savings. Of the cities and towns I've named, what advice do you have for us? (Must-See stuff - and "don't bother" stuff) and equally important - have you booked excursions privately at any of these ports and had good results? Anxious to hear your replies - Thanks very much - John and Charlotte, Canada

Hi, John and Charlotte! For the Baltics, much depends on how much you really like history, culture, architecture, etc. St. Petersburg is clearly a top highlight for the area and a private tour can work out well there. There is also the Norway coast, fjords, etc., that can offer dramatic scenery, wildlife, etc. See my live/blog below for more info on those excellent options. The Baltics do tend to be higher in cost than the Med as the cruising window is more narrow and some of the ports (including Copenhagen and Stockholm) tend to be more costly.

Tell us more about your exact personal interests and travel style. Below are a few of my highlight pictures to consider. Bruges is super wonderful. Have not yet been to Berlin or Poland or Latvia. Many give mixed reactions on Visby. You can't do "ALL" of it in only a ten or eleven day cruise. Much depends on your priorities. Some of the ports can be done on your own.

Keep the good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,216 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,246 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard is one of the key highlights and is handy, close to the next-door historic old town area. :

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

My wife and I have cruised the Mediterranean, the British Isles, numerous caribbean cruises, Alaska cruises etc. but we would like your opinion on how the Northern Europe/Baltics compares .....is this a really great cruise or just a good one .... it's expensive and I'd like to be sure that it's worth it in your opinion. The cruise we're looking at takes in St. Petersburg, Gdansk Poland, Riga Latvia, Helsinki, Amsterdam, Coperhagen, Bruges, Visby, Tallinn,Berlin etc. We know this cruise tends to attract an older crowd - because of this, do the cruise ships and tour operators run things a bit too slow and limited in terms of getting around and really seeing things and doing things at these places?

Another question - we usually take the cruise ship excursions - but on occasion we've gone with a private provider as recommended by cruise critic members and had a great tour with significant savings. Of the cities and towns I've named, what advice do you have for us? (Must-See stuff - and "don't bother" stuff) and equally important - have you booked excursions privately at any of these ports and had good results? Anxious to hear your replies - Thanks very much - John and Charlotte, Canada

John and Charlotte

Welcome to the Baltics part of Cruise Critic. Terry has once again given some excellent advice to get you started.

Depending on what you are looking for in a cruise?? I would say a Baltic cruise is anything but relaxing. If you desire seas days and time to just lounge around the pool, this really isn't the right cruise. it is VERY port intensive, and very history related. You are off the ship in a rush and back on as late as you can be to try and get the most out of the ports you are in. Most nights you are tired from touring but eager to get up the next day to discover more of what these fascinating ports have in store for you.

We toured a bit over 2 years ago and it is truly the 'cruise of a lifetime'. We have been to Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, the Caribbean but this cruise was the best. We are seniors, and to be able to visit all these wonderful cities that we have only read about thru out our lives, even though we are only sampling them, was simply magical. The memories we came home with from places like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and of course St Petersburg. When We were growing up, who could even ahve imagined we would spend time in Russia, our sworn enemy. Once again, if you are looking for scenery this is not the place to find it, but you will find that certain European charm, it's fabled history and things that you have only dreamt about.

That said, if you are fairly mobile, most of the ports are VERY easy to do on your own. Forget ANY ship excursions. We have several posters from almost every port and they are always eager to assist anyone in seeing their cities and exploring them on their own. Almost to a man here, we have all done most of the ports on our own. Of course in St Petersburg, we all recommend booking any of the several private tour companies over any ship's excursion. You will see more, go in a much smaller group and tailor the tour to YOUR likes and dislikes (like spending more time at the Hermitage). We used a tour group called SPB Tours (http://www.spb-tours.com/). They are excellent and now offer private tours in 3 other cities, if you prefer to go that way. Many people on this board have used this company and all came home with glowing reports on them.

Here are a few more pix of what you will see on your cruise to the Baltics

In Copenhagen, one of the highlites is a canal boat tour thru the many canals of this city. You will get a different perspective of this city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster285.jpg

In Tallinn, this is a lost jewel as far as cities are concerned. Just a quaint city with a great walking tour that you can download from this site. Very, very easy to do on your own

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe566.jpg

In St Petersburg, one of the main highlites is Peterhoff and all it's fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

Since you indicated about the Hermitage, it is much more than just Paintings. Each room is a majestic thing of beauty,

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe927.jpg

In Helsinki one of the joys is just wandering around an area called Market Square. here you can shop, eat or just intermingle with the wonderful Finnish people

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

We loved Stockholm and the area known as Gamla Stan. A section of the city known for its narrow cobblestone streets and wonderful shops. Just an exciting place to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

You will love a Baltic Cruise. Go for it.

Cheers

Len

Hello John and Charlotte

Terry and Len have said it all really. If you need a bit more info on some of these ports here are the short videos I made on my 2010 Baltic cruise.

Copenhagen (took no. 26 bus from port to town centre, walked back)

You can just walk onto that canal tour (about 50-55 mins) at Nyhavn canal (in 2010 it was every hour on the hour) or book your preferred time at the excellent information centre in the town centre, (but that is the more expensive of the 2 firms that do it - we did this to be sure of the 1 pm trip and it still is very good value)

Tallin (head for the spires and walk to town - 10 minutes from ship to Fat Margaret)

St Petersburg

There are several excellent independent companies for seeing St Petersburg. It hardly matters which you choose, just as long as you avoid the ship's excursions (more expensive and more people). If you are going to Berlin too it makes sense to use a company that goes to both - you'll get a slight discount and only need one point of contact.

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

plus a ride in the underground, several photo opportunities, and a bit of souvenir shopping if that's your thing. If you are like me and it's not ask you guide if you can have the 20 minutes to wander around the locality - there is bound to be a sight to see in this phenomenal city.

If I had my time again I'd pick a tour that does all the above plus the Yusupov Palace and a canal tour. Expect to pay around $300 pp at today's prices, plus 10% tip (split around 60/40 guide/driver)

Helsinki (took shuttle to the top of the Esplanade, and back of course, else it's a 30 minute walk) and then bought a one-day travel ticket for 7 Euros which is good for trams, buses and ferries. Helsinki is a another great port, criminally under-rated IMHO !

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)

Stockholm - we docked at Nynasham so no archipelago and 2 hours less time to explore :(. There's nothing good to say about this but if the same happens to you I'd suggest taking the coach-trip only option and doing it yourself, but hopefully you will dock in Stockholm proper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweRnGqZ1k

Royal Warship Vasa & the Vasa Museum

A must for all Stockholm visitors. To be as time-efficient as possible in the Vasa Museum head straight for the information desk to find out the time of the next showing (in your language) of the terrific 25-minute film of how the ship was found, raised and restored. Then go to the theatre 5 minutes before 'showtime'.

There is also a 20 minute guided tour of the ship which is worth doing if you have the time. I'd say you can 'budget' for 60-75 minutes once in the museum if you get lucky with the times of the film and tour, 75-90 if you don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45l1WMZOXA

If you are in two minds about Berlin - go. 3 hours transfer each way is a pain, there's no arguing about that, but you will still have a good 6 hours to see things and what great things there are to see. These were made on a non-cruise holiday but took about the same time a cruiser would have on a well-organised day trip. You won't be able to go into the Reichstag, and probably not the underground information centre at the Holocaust memorial either, but you will obviously see both as you move around.

Berlin Sights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdvsq9lJJ8

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgke23Hfuw

The Berlin Wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZCwlKiiZrs

On the roof of the Reichstag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o57Fb88tVTM

So the only places you definitely need a tour are Berlin and St Petersburg as all the others mentioned above are very easy to do on your own as long as you know what you want to see.

All the best, it's a fabulous cruise

Tony

Cruising is the best way to see all of these places in such a short time. I want to comment about the "older crowd". Each cruiseline skews to a slightly different demographic, but we used NCL Sun, and there were people of all ages on board. Many young US armed forces stationed in Europe and wanting to see the Baltic states before they went back home. What a fun way to do it. Plenty of teenagers with their parents. Not many young toddlers, but there were some. Also, a large percentage of the cruisers were Europeans. Lastly, nobody on Cruise Critic should take the ship's tours for the Baltics, use one of the private tour companies. You will have a small group, see more, and spend less money for the tour.

Cornishpastyman1, thank you for the links to your videos! I really enjoyed looking at them (except the Suomenlinna video wouldn't load, but I'll try again later). I'm taking my DD on a Baltic cruise as part of her HS graduation trip and we'll be visiting the ports you highlighted (except Stockholm and including Bruges, Belgium). It was great to see videos of the ports. We're not going into Berlin (we'll spend a few days there later in the trip), but I'll alert my roll call to your videos as many of them are planning to go to Berlin.

Again, thank you!

Did a short Baltics cruise last year in August. The cruise out of Stockholm was wonderful - the scenery was amazing.

Tallinn - fairytale place and very hot!

St. Petersburg - big, didn't see it at it's best because it was wet (I think you may need a visa to do your own thing (approx. £100).

If you are into history and culture then this is the cruise for you.

Cornishpastyman1, thank you for the links to your videos! I really enjoyed looking at them (except the Suomenlinna video wouldn't load, but I'll try again later). I'm taking my DD on a Baltic cruise as part of her HS graduation trip and we'll be visiting the ports you highlighted (except Stockholm and including Bruges, Belgium). It was great to see videos of the ports. We're not going into Berlin (we'll spend a few days there later in the trip), but I'll alert my roll call to your videos as many of them are planning to go to Berlin.

Again, thank you!

Hi Jayne

Thanks for your kind words. This is a bit left-field but I notice that you start and finish at Dover. If you (or anyone) are into this sort of thing it's very easy to call in on the excellent Battle of Britain Memorial

at Capel-le-Ferne which is 7 miles from Dover.

It can only be done with by car. I thought it was well worth a look if you are near.

Tony

Hi Jayne

Thanks for your kind words. This is a bit left-field but I notice that you start and finish at Dover. If you (or anyone) are into this sort of thing it's very easy to call in on the excellent Battle of Britain Memorial

at Capel-le-Ferne which is 7 miles from Dover.

It can only be done with by car. I thought it was well worth a look if you are near.

Tony

Good to know--thank you! I've actually put together (with the help of another person on the roll call) a web site for us with links to things to do and information about the port cities. Earlier today I added links to your videos and will add this one as well.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Thank you Tony !!! John and Charlotte Daniels Canada

Hello John and Charlotte

Ever since my visit I have been kicking myself that I didn't pick a tour that also included the Yusupov Palace. So when a friend of mine went there in June I asked him if he would wave my camcorder around, and from what he brought back I have made this one

So I personally would pick a tour that included all other 6 'attractions' shown in post number 4 here plus the YP. But whatever you do you will have the time of your life in the Baltics. All the best, Tony

Hello John and Charlotte. Ever since my visit I have been kicking myself that I didn't pick a tour that also included the Yusupov Palace. So when a friend of mine went there in June I asked him if he would wave my camcorder around, and from what he brought back I have made this one

So I personally would pick a tour that included all other 6 'attractions' shown in post number 4 here plus the YP. But whatever you do you will have the time of your life in the Baltics. All the best, Tony

Agree with the above posting by Tony about Yusupov Palace. We visited there and enjoyed it very much. Lots of great, interesting history there. Compared to the super giant royal palaces, it was nice to see a more "normal" palace that had a good human scale. Below are some pictures from there, plus some more from around wonderful St. Petersburg. Lots of great options there. That's why planning ahead and considering your various options is so important.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 96,115 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,131 views.

Along a quiet stretch of the Moika River stands a long yellow building. It was once the residence of the wealthy and powerful Yusupov family. It was one of the most dramatic episodes in Russia's history, Grigory Rasputin’s murder. In 1916, some of the city's noble elite, including one of the Grand Dukes and the prominent Prince Felix Yusupov, conspired to kill a royal advisor who they believed threatening the stability of the war-torn Russian Empire. Here is one picture from the Blue Room of the Yusupov Palace. Is this just like one of your bedrooms at home?:

1A-StP-Yusp-BlueRoom.jpg

This is the lower-level room where they have displays reflecting what was done as they were preparing to kill Rasputin at Yusupov Palace.:

1A-StP-YuspRasp.jpg

One of many elegant rooms used for entertaining Royals and the powerful at Yusupov Palace.:

1A-StP-Yup.jpg

This Palace had its own Opera Hall. Don't most homes have this feature?:

1A-StP-Yusp-OperaHall.jpg

On the canal boat in front of the Hermitage, here is a speed boat enjoying the water:

1A-StP-HermtBoat.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Hi, we've just got back from 12 night cruise to the Baltic states & Russia and I posted a review. What i can add is that the cruise is very tiring and port-intensive (even our 20-somethings found it hard going). You will also go through 3 time zones from the UK - on our cruise we lost 2 hours in two days. You may also find the weather is mixed, although we were lucky except for a couple of hours in St Petersburg. However, it is a totally brilliant cruise. We didn't do any ship excursions although we used the ship shuttle a couple of times. In St Petersburg we had a private tour with itravelspb. There were 6 of us and it worked out at about $250 each but for that we got two full days in a private van with an English-speaking guide (Elena who was totally fluent and very knowledgeable). We wanted to do something different and not spend all our time in queues or traffic so did a Citizens Tour which involved the Metro, markets & supermarkets, a couple of churches, the Yusopov mansion, a private power boat , the museum of political history and the space museum. There were no problems with Russian customs and one of the officials even smiled!

If you do go I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Pauline

I loved the baltic ports, especially Saint Petersburg, Tallinn & Stockholm. Saint Petersburg, my favorite, is an amazing city!!

We DIY in all ports with the exception of Berlin & Saint Petersburg. We used a private Russian tour company in Berlin & Saint Petersburg & saw much more than on the ship tours in a much smaller group and at a substantial savings. For both of these ports, we booked with ALLA TOURS and had absolutely spectacular tours. Alla offers some package tours in 4 & 5 of the baltic ports.

http://alla-tour.com/

As others have noted, this is not a relaxing itinerary as the baltic cruises are very port intensive.

jill

I certainly agree that this is not a relaxing vacation. Very different from a Carribean cruise! We were on the go every day, but that's what we like. We only used guides in St. Petersburg and Gdansk as these ports seemed daunting on your own. A couple people hired taxi drivers in Gdansk, but you take a risk compared to a guide where you can decide exactly where you want to go and at what cost and timetable. Everywhere else was easy to do on your own. Age range often depends partly on cruise line, but our Gdansk group of 12 (organized on our roll call) was mainly 65-70 yr. olds and was fine with what we had planned. I think the key is not to get too big a group. In St. Petersburg we had 8 and it was more efficient. We bought Rick Steves' Scandanavian guide and it was very useful for almost all of the ports. Visby was an unexpected delight, but we had perfect weather there. Ronne was a bore, but a dreary rainy day too. We went from 60 in Stockholm to 100 in St. Petersburg -- pack for all temperatures!

We have done all the cruises you have listed and and both us of liked Baltic best . Make sure you get the two night in Saint Petersburg.

If you are able to do a cruise with two nights and three days in St. Petersburg, that also gives you the options for using one of those days to do an exciting "adventure" of going to and from Moscow for one of those days. It's not cheap, but allows a very important sample for the "other" Russian capital.

Moscow has its unique history, sights and sites, from Ivan the Terrible up through Lenin, Stalin and the new Russian leaders of today. In 2008, we did this trip via air travel. Now, it's done by high-speed rail.

The Kremlin and nearby are real “super stars”, including the State Armoury with its spectacular Faberge Eggs, plus so many carriages, crowns, gowns, jewels, etc. Red Square is so historic, especially having grown up seeing the military May Day parades there, visuals of Lenin’s Tomb, etc. To be able to “CONTRAST” and compare Moscow and St. Petersburg during these three short days adds to the benefits of seeing both of these great Russian capital cities. Each is a very different and special city.

Is one day in Moscow too short and limited? YES! You can, however, do and see lots in only that one short day. How often do you get to Russia? The Cold War might not come back in full force, but there might be increasing and revisited tensions in future years involving Russia and getting access there.

Then, if you only have two days in St. Petersburg, you need to have a private tour there and careful thought as to your priorities in that city and what fits your personal interest, needs, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 97,492 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,368 views.

Archived