Adventure ocean age requirements

Does anyone know the flexibility of RCI, specifically FOS, with regards to the age limits of adventure ocean. My daughter turns 3 during our cruise, the RCI rep said she must be 3 before leaving in order for her to be with the 3-5 year olds. She is pretty advanced and I don't want her sitting in a daycare with 18 and 24 month old babies for a week. I am hoping someone has experience in a similar dilemma.

Does anyone know the flexibility of RCI' date=' specifically FOS, with regards to the age limits of adventure ocean. My daughter turns 3 during our cruise, the RCI rep said she must be 3 before leaving in order for her to be with the 3-5 year olds. She is pretty advanced and I don't want her sitting in a daycare with 18 and 24 month old babies for a week. I am hoping someone has experience in a similar dilemma.[/quote']

Here's what RCI's web page says about the 3-5yr room:

"To participate, children must be fully potty-trained and 3 years of age as of the first day of the cruise."

Royal Tots is for 18-36 months - so she would not be with babies.

The 3YO at time of sailing is a hard-and-fast rule. I have been told that RCCI's liability insurance for Adventure Ocean is what governs that age.

Once a child "qualifies" to participate in AO, the staff has some latitude to change a child from one grouping to another, but the lower age for AO program and the 18YO "upper" limit for the teen club is set by the insurance coverage that RCCI has chosen.

Does anyone know the flexibility of RCI' date=' specifically FOS, with regards to the age limits of adventure ocean. My daughter turns 3 during our cruise, the RCI rep said she must be 3 before leaving in order for her to be with the 3-5 year olds. She is pretty advanced and I don't want her sitting in a daycare with 18 and 24 month old babies for a week. I am hoping someone has experience in a similar dilemma.[/quote']

I guess you are assuming that all the other kids would be somewhat less advanced? Your kid would be in a group that is comprised of the same ages, and some of them will be less advanced, and others will be more advanced than yours. The ages groups are set up for that reason and RCCL follows their rules on ages for many "advanced" reasons.

It's the same with drinking. If you're 20 on the first day of your cruise and you turn 21 a couple nights later - too bad. You're 20 until the end of the cruise. It's like time stops when you're on a ship! :)

I guess you are assuming that all the other kids would be somewhat less advanced? Your kid would be in a group that is comprised of the same ages, and some of them will be less advanced, and others will be more advanced than yours. The ages groups are set up for that reason and RCCL follows their rules on ages for many "advanced" reasons.

I've been on these boards for quite some time and I can't remember any parent who didn't have an advanced, exceptionally well-behaved child.

In any event, to the OP - it is, as noted, an insurance issue so it doesn't matter how advanced and mature your child is. If you don't want her "sitting in daycare with . . . babies for a week" no problem - just keep her with you. She'll have a great time.

I've been on these boards for quite some time and I can't remember any parent who didn't have an advanced, exceptionally well-behaved child.

Let me be the first then! I have two normal, sometimes well-behaved, sometimes poorly behaved kids.

We take it as our responsibility that their behaviour doesn't impact on anyone else's enjoyment of their vacation - only their poor parents!

Lol! Reminds me of what I tell my coworkers when they're going on and on about their children:

"I can run faster, draw better, hit a baseball farther and read at a more advanced level than your kid can."

And for the record - I have 2 sons and a stepson. And yes - I can run faster, draw better, hit a baseball farther and read at a more advanced level than any of them! :D

Check out the family board, there have been people who went to AO once there child turned 3 on the cruise and there child was then allowed to attend.

It's the same with drinking. If you're 20 on the first day of your cruise and you turn 21 a couple nights later - too bad. You're 20 until the end of the cruise. It's like time stops when you're on a ship! :)

Incorrect, they can go to guest services and have their information updated so they can drink.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age

is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest

celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to

consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify

ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the

vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a valid

government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

The 3YO at time of sailing is a hard-and-fast rule. I have been told that RCCI's liability insurance for Adventure Ocean is what governs that age.

Once a child "qualifies" to participate in AO, the staff has some latitude to change a child from one grouping to another, but the lower age for AO program and the 18YO "upper" limit for the teen club is set by the insurance coverage that RCCI has chosen.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for some lattitude from the staff, but i don't think they will budge.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for some lattitude from the staff' date=' but i don't think they will budge. Wow, some people are just ignorant. Of course my child is advanced, it comes from intelligent parents. What people don't realize is the difference between the programs involving the ages of the kids. The 3-5 year old group learns a lot more about animals, the oceans, and gets to do fun stuff like the pirate parade, etc. The 18-36 month old class does not get to do those things.[/quote']

Yes I'm sure your child will be the most advanced child on the ship - with you and her daddy as the most intelligent and attractive too I'll bet! ;)

Check out the family board, there have been people who went to AO once there child turned 3 on the cruise and there child was then allowed to attend.

Incorrect, they can go to guest services and have their information updated so they can drink.

I was wrong and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :) Glad they changed that policy.

Archived