Shopping for a Watch

jan can

There's only one thing I want to buy - a ladies eco watch. Eight years ago I purchased one in St. Thomas for a very good price. It's time for an update. Can I expect to find good prices in Bermuda too?

Our last cruise had one day of reasonable prices aboard the ship.

Any comments on the shopping?

Shopping in Bermuda is not the same as St. Thomas. You will not find bargains unless a particular store is having some kind of sale. The only savings you will see is not paying any sales tax.

Shopping in Bermuda is not the same as St. Thomas.

And one of the reasons I love going to Bermuda, none of those tacky stores.

I understand there are deals in St Thomas to be had but I do not cruise to shop.

Thanks everyone. As expected, I didn't think Bermuda would be a shopping mecca (that's good) or inexpensive. Just thought I'd better ask ahead.

Since I'm in need of a new watch, I thought I might luck out. I find a watch a daily memory of my trip. I will look for specials on the ship.

Hi JanCan,

You can buy a Citizen EcoDrive watch in Bermuda for 25% off US Retail price, and no sales tax. For very good reasons (Board Rules), I'm not allowed to say where, but I'm sure you can find the store in question.

Have Fun!

Hi JanCan,

You can buy a Citizen EcoDrive watch in Bermuda for 25% off US Retail price, and no sales tax. For very good reasons (Board Rules), I'm not allowed to say where, but I'm sure you can find the store in question.

Have Fun!

I would suggest Crisson's. I recall they have Citizen watches.

Shopping in Bermuda is not the same as St. Thomas. You will not find bargains unless a particular store is having some kind of sale. The only savings you will see is not paying any sales tax.

True.

Also, maybe it's just me...but when I'm in Bermuda I'm not spending one minute shopping. I can shop the other 51 weeks of the year with better pricing and time to make wise decisions. When I'm in Bermuda I'm going to enjoy the beaches, scenery, dining -- things I can't do the other 51 weeks of the year.

True.

Also, maybe it's just me...but when I'm in Bermuda I'm not spending one minute shopping. I can shop the other 51 weeks of the year with better pricing and time to make wise decisions. When I'm in Bermuda I'm going to enjoy the beaches, scenery, dining -- things I can't do the other 51 weeks of the year.

True. But last year it rained every day the week I was in Bermuda. Was able to do Fort Hamilton which I had missed previously but the beaches were a bust. Since we were docked in Hamilton I did check out the stores. Also some people like to buy something as a memento even if it is something they can buy at home. It reminds them of the trip when they wear it.

• 1 month later...

Since I knew what I wanted, I didn't spend much time looking for the watch. I had a quick look in Macy's in NYC so had an idea of their sale prices.

I bought on the ship for the 40% discount and no tax. IMO, the choice was the same as in Hamilton and prices were only a 25% discount & no tax there.

I'm satisfied and it will be a continual souvenir.

Since I knew what I wanted, I didn't spend much time looking for the watch. I had a quick look in Macy's in NYC so had an idea of their sale prices.

I bought on the ship for the 40% discount and no tax. IMO, the choice was the same as in Hamilton and prices were only a 25% discount & no tax there.

I'm satisfied and it will be a continual souvenir.

Yes I saw them on sale on Veendam at 40 percent off also

With so many different watch styles and brands (many brands carry similar styles that look very close to each other at different prices) and especially jewelry How would anyone know what a good price is??

"Retail Price" is term that is widely used let vendors show a discount and to con people into thinking they got a good price. I for one have stopped buying on trips those sort of items. One suggestion I would like to make is to download an App for the Iphone or Android that let's you scan the bar-code and it will give you prices at different locations. I use the Amazon.com App and it works great.You will need a phone signal where your at though. It may be costly in Bermuda but that depends on the cost of what you wanted to buy I guess. It maybe more costly NOT to check the price.

There's only one thing I want to buy - a ladies eco watch. Eight years ago I purchased one in St. Thomas for a very good price. It's time for an update. Can I expect to find good prices in Bermuda too?

Our last cruise had one day of reasonable prices aboard the ship.

Any comments on the shopping?

Yu may also want to go to the eco-watch site:

http://citizenwatch.com/COA/English/find.asp

You can research the watch you like find their suggested retail price and take it with you.

My motto is: Be an informed shopper and not get Scr%#d

Go with the exact style number and design name you want they all have codes then you know you are buying what you priced out in other locals. It works for us and yes it is a nice remembrance of your trip not some hokey trinket that you have to dust.

When you purchase a watch onboard the ship make sure it really is an EcoDrive. I assumed I purchased one (about 4 years back) and it stopped working. When I contacted Citizen they told me it was a regular Citizen watch, not an EcoDrive even though my receipt and the box all said EcoDrive. Needless to say, I was not happy but not much I could do.

• 1 month later...

Hey ALL,

Just got off the Enchantment yesterday. They had a 40% off US retail price sale. WOW that sounded great. NOT!!!

The marked down price for a particular watch was $159.00 down from original price of 265.00.

Luckily I did not buy it. After I got to a free wifi connection I checked the exact model number on Amazon.com and found it for 150.00 (no tax & free shipping) And if I have a problem with it I can go back to Amazon. I love Royal Caribbean but be careful of the so called specials.

I just bought one on the Summit last week and the only place I have seen it lower was on Amazon with free shipping/returns....by $3.00. I don't regret getting on the ship at all. Celebrity also has a price match guarantee for 30 days after purchase if you should find it at a lower price. Of course I won't bother for three dollars. Last year I bought one in St. Maarten, and the price on the ship was competitive. I'm satisfied. The prices in Bermuda are just too high.

Hi Kendon,

I can't believe people keep saying Bermuda prices are too high!

Here's an actual price check I just did.

I took Believer's advice and checked Citizen's site for the MSRP of a ladies EcoDrive Riva. It was $375 for a regular U.S. store. You would have to pay Sales Tax on top of that.

I then checked Amazon - they had it at 25% off MSRP - and you pay Sales Tax on top of that (which varies from State to State).

I then checked a Bermuda store. They had it at 25% off too, BUT you pay NO Sales Tax.

If you can get it for less on the ships, fine, but surely Bermuda's price isn't "just too high"?

Anyway,

Have Fun!

Hi Kendon,

I took Believer's advice and checked Citizen's site for the MSRP of a ladies EcoDrive Riva. It was $375 for a regular U.S. store. You would have to pay Sales Tax on top of that.

I then checked Amazon - they had it at 25% off MSRP - and you pay Sales Tax on top of that (which varies from State to State).

I then checked a Bermuda store. They had it at 25% off too, BUT you pay NO Sales Tax.

If you can get it for less on the ships, fine, but surely Bermuda's price isn't "just too high"?

Anyway,

Have Fun!

At the current time Amazon only collects sales tax in six states. If you live in one of those six states you can likely find another online seller that does not collect the sales tax.

Hi Kendon,

Anyway,

Have Fun!

I agree .....

First: I've never been charged a tax on Amazon.

Second: MSRP is a tool the industry uses to somehow give the vendors a baseline and the ability to show a discount for their merchandise. If anyone sells anything at MSRP their a crook. I am a buyer and one of our contracts we have a 90% off list price. When I purchase a 3/4 x 12" brass nipple the list price is around 900.00. The industry does this due to all the contracts in place. It's all a game.

First: I've never been charged a tax on Amazon.

Second: MSRP is a tool the industry uses to somehow give the vendors a baseline and the ability to show a discount for their merchandise. If anyone sells anything at MSRP their a crook. I am a buyer and one of our contracts we have a 90% off list price. When I purchase a 3/4 x 12" brass nipple the list price is around 900.00. The industry does this due to all the contracts in place. It's all a game.

A number of states have threatened legal action against Amazon, in an attempt to force them to charge sales tax. Also in states where Amazon has a physical presence such as a warehouse, they are normally required to collect tax. Recently Amazon agreed to start charging sales tax in NJ, and in return will get tax incentives for building a facility in the state. Here's a list of states where Amazon already collects sales tax, as well as states where they will be collecting tax in the near future:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/18/news/economy/amazon-sales-tax/

Archived