New York help please

We are Australians flying in to JFK on September 11th to join the Caribbean Princess Canada/New England cruise on the 15th so looking for advice on our stopover in New York.

Firstly hotels. Should we consider staying close to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn and travelling in to do our sightseeing - or can anyone recommend a good value mid-range hotel in Manhattan.

Secondly - we're collecting ideas to plan our sightseeing and would appreciate any tips on the free/cheap/great value activities that don't make it into the guide books.

Finally (for now) - I remember seeing an article some years ago about New Yorkers who would show you round their city - can anyone give me details?

Many thanks

I would concentrate on the hotel first. Your visit coincides with Fashion Week in NY, so Manhattan hotels are busy, booked, and expensive. What is your hotel budget? How much you're willing to spend is going to affect the choices you will have.

I looked on Hotwire to get some idea of discounted hotels for Sept 11-15. The least expensive Manhattan hotel is a 3* (don't really want to do less than a 3*) in the Empire State district (centrally located) for $211 + tax.

For Long Island City (across the East River in Queens, NY) Hotwire is showing the Ravel Hotel (4*) for $179. For Hoboken/Jersey City (across the Hudson River in New Jersey) Hotwire is showing a 4* hotel for $148.

The 4* Hoboken/Jersey City hotel shows up all the time on Hotwire and is either the Sheraton Lincoln Towers in Weehawken, the Westin in Jersey City, or the Hyatt in Jersey City. We have recommended this choice many many times and folks have always been more than satisfied with any of these hotels. The Sheraton is a really quick bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority Bus Terminal (40th and 8th). The Westin is near the Newport station on Path and the Hyatt is near the Exchange Place station on Path (http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html), which gives easy access to either midtown (33rd & 6th) or downtown (World Trade Center) via subway train. You would spend more money to get to these hotels from JFK by car service, but given your 4 night stay and the price and quality of the hotels (real 4* hotels with a fantastic view of NY from the property), they are definite contenders.

There are definitely hotel choices in Brooklyn - I will look around to see what we have recommended in the past. The Brooklyn location will give you good access to downtown Manhattan, but will be a longer trip to midtown.

Where are you from in Australia?

I would take the property in Manhattan for $211. Your schedule could be so much more flexible because you won't have to figure in commuting and rush hour into your plans. You can walk lots of places. In Manhattan, just because your hotel doesn't have a nice lounge/restaurant attached it doesn't matter, there are literally dozens surrounding you, at any price point. The same with the view. Go to any fancy hotel and order a drink at that hotel with a nice view, and go back to sleep in yours. jmo

The 4* Hoboken/Jersey City hotel shows up all the time on Hotwire and is either the Sheraton Lincoln Towers in Weehawken, the Westin in Jersey City, or the Hyatt in Jersey City. We have recommended this choice many many times and folks have always been more than satisfied with any of these hotels. The Sheraton is a really quick bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel to Port Authority Bus Terminal (40th and 8th). The Westin is near the Newport station on Path and the Hyatt is near the Exchange Place station on Path (http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html), which gives easy access to either midtown (33rd & 6th) or downtown (World Trade Center) via subway train. You would spend more money to get to these hotels from JFK by car service, but given your 4 night stay and the price and quality of the hotels (real 4* hotels with a fantastic view of NY from the property), they are definite contenders.

Baycruising ~

For what it's worth, I absolutely concur with 138east's assessment of these hotels and their respective locations.

I recently shot some video just outside the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. These clips should give you a good idea of the hotel, its setting, and the views you'll enjoy there:

True, you won't be sleeping in the heart of Manhattan. But if you stay at the Hyatt Regency or the Westin, you'll be less than 15 minutes from Manhattan by PATH (subway) train or ferry. Just as a point of reference: It takes no more time to travel between Jersey City and Lower Manhattan than it takes to travel between from Midtown (the Times Square area) and Lower Manhattan.

See also my write-up on Jersey City here (with links to a few more short videos showing the Westin Hotel):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1613763

Finally: If you can get them in Australia, Frommer's New York City Day by Day and Frommer's Memorable Walks in New York are two excellent (and very compact) guide books, with loads of tips on free or low-cost sightseeing options.

("Free" in New York City invariably means lots of walking... But there's an amazing variety of things to see in the city; a terrific variety of architecture and surprising and delightful little enclaves and "oases" within the city that even many New York natives aren't familiar with.)

Cheers!

We are Australians flying in to JFK on September 11th to join the Caribbean Princess Canada/New England cruise on the 15th so looking for advice on our stopover in New York.

Firstly hotels. Should we consider staying close to the cruise terminal in Brooklyn and travelling in to do our sightseeing - or can anyone recommend a good value mid-range hotel in Manhattan.

Secondly - we're collecting ideas to plan our sightseeing and would appreciate any tips on the free/cheap/great value activities that don't make it into the guide books.

Finally (for now) - I remember seeing an article some years ago about New Yorkers who would show you round their city - can anyone give me details?

Many thanks

You can check this site for no fee (tips only) walking tours in NYC...

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/default.asp

Also, this may be a helpful site for your visit...

www.mvpny.net

Let us know what you decided and how it all worked out. Have a great time.!

Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. We are really looking forward to this first visit. Everyone we know who has been once has booked to return to NY!!

We have booked the Staybridge Suites near Times Square - thought that a Manhattan location would enable us to see the sights more easily and after looking at Tripadvisor chose this location as popular, reasonably priced and central.

What is your best advice for getting across to the Brooklyn port for our departure on Caribbean Princess please?

Also would be interested in getting your views on transport from JFK - perhaps by bus/shuttle? We are easily able to manage our luggage both from airport and to port but would probably prefer bus to subway as we will have a better idea of where we are going if above ground and subway stairs can be awkward with luggage if it is busy.

Thanks in advance.

grab a cab...put print out directions to the port...we grabbed a cab..you have to hail off the street...our driver had never been to the port in Brooklyn before..and there was a detour..signs were high up poles and hard to see...map made it easier for him to find.

second option would be to book a car service...they will pick you up at your hotel and should know where they are going before they do so..but still have directions just in case...

have fun

We have booked the Staybridge Suites near Times Square - thought that a Manhattan location would enable us to see the sights more easily and after looking at Tripadvisor chose this location as popular, reasonably priced and central.

What is your best advice for getting across to the Brooklyn port for our departure on Caribbean Princess please?

Also would be interested in getting your views on transport from JFK - perhaps by bus/shuttle? We are easily able to manage our luggage both from airport and to port but would probably prefer bus to subway as we will have a better idea of where we are going if above ground and subway stairs can be awkward with luggage if it is busy.

Thanks in advance.

I would cab it from JFK to hotel and hotel to pier.

For JFK to hotel is a flat rate.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/faq_pass.shtml#16

"John F. Kennedy International Airport

- The TLC has established a "Flat Fare" program for trips to and from JFK and Manhattan. The flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls. There is no set fare to or from JFK to any point in New York City outside of Manhattan, and the metered rate applies."

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bay, the article on New Yorkers showing you around their city free of charge may have been referring to Big Apple Greeters. Although I have never used them myself they are highly praised on Tripadvisor. I do know you have to book them far in advance, best of luck!

Thanks - I found Big Apple Greeters on line and have sent off a request - hopefully we shall be lucky and someone will be available. Otherwise we shall probably start with a HOHO bus.

We are thinking that we might book the shuttle bus from JFK to Port Authority as apparently that is just close to our hotel - anyone have an opinion? Otherwise I think it will be a cab.

I would go with the cab. The savings with cab over two pax on the bus is not that great, but the convenience of the cab is overwhelming.

First off, the bus usually stops at all the terminals letting people to get on and off. This is a waste of your time. Secondly, aren't you going to be exhausted from your long flight? Door to Door service is much easier than schleping your luggage through the crowded sidewalks of NY.

Archived