Elegant Casual ???

Help please.

We are regular cruisers but this is our first trip with Regent.

We often travel P&O and are geared for their 'informal' 'semi' and 'formal' dress codes which most passengers adhere to.

In fact on recent cruises most people were dressing up on even the Casual nights.

I wonder if anyone can advise me what to expect on a Regent Med. cruise.

I have read the advice in the 'small print' but in reality do people do 'dressy' or is it generally quite casual.

Thanks in advance

I usually wear a nice top with capris or slacks, with a short or long summery dress thrown in now and then. My DH will wear a jacket on a few evenings, but not usually. Some people will dress up a little more but that is not the general rule.

The Med Itinaries are so brutal that last month clean clothes at dinner was an attainable goal....most of the time ! On our 10 day on Mariner last month my DH wore a sport coat half the time, I like Chico's and that was as fancy as the entire ship ever got...very casual! Seriously I don't remember seeing a "Sparkle" dress anywhere, but I did see some pretty dresses!

I usually take several short cocktail dresses plus either dressy pants and tops if cooler climate or a few sundresses if warmer. But I like dressing up. My husband will be in dress pants and a long sleeve button down shirt guaranteed.

Personally I do not like the Regent dress code. I call the way most people dress these days as "In-elegant scruffy". You do not see jeans or shorts at dinner but you see Hawaiian shirts, "cargo" pants etc etc. not at all the way it used to be... and that is a shame. However there is no reason why you cannot dress anyway you like - and we do! Blazer or long sleeved shirt and nice trousers for my husband, skirt and top or dress for me. How I wish we could return to the days of the three categories of dress!!

Me too, Gerry. But I know we are in the minority.

When there was a stricter dress code, my husband would bring a dark suit and tie because he is one to follow the rules. And he looked great. But with a more casual dress code, he is not one to dress up just because I want him too--same thing going out to dinner at home.

First, I don't understand why Med. itineraries are brutal. We are currenetly in the Med. on the Voyager. It has been a perfect 15 days (so far) -- great climate, calm seas, etc. I'm also puzzled about the comment that the entire ship is "very casual".

Regent repeat cruisers are aware of the three "special nights" The night of the Captain's Reception, Seven Seas Society Cocktail party and the Captain's Farewell (the night when the wonderful Krew Capers show is performed by the crew). On these nights you see many suits, sports jackets with or without ties, sparkley tops and dresses (not necessarily cocktail dresses).

I'm in the computer room at the moment and have noticed people walking by. This is not a special evening. Most men are wearing long sleeve shirts with slacks. Women are wearing slacks and nice tops. A few men are wearing sports jackets with or without ties and a few are wearing suits. While polo shirts and other short sleeved shirts are permitted, they do tend to stand out as it does not seem to be the "norm" (thankfully)

There are many "newbies" on board that do not seem aware of the dress code. We have seen shorts, bare feet and jeans in the lounges after 6:00 p.m. (some enter as late as 7:30 p.m.). Unfortunately, they are asked to return to their suites and change. To avoid this embarassment, it is really a good idea to read Regent's Elegent Casual dress code. Basically, there are no jeans, shorts, t-shirts or hats allowed after 6:00 p.m. - anywhere except your suite. Baseball type caps are pretty much looked down upon in most of the world. It is more of a U.S. "thing". People are very well aware that hats are not worn indoors. Regent simply insures that you adhere to this.

The dress code is simple (and MUCH easier than if you were sailing on other luxury lines). Regent is really Country Club Casual which makes it easy for everyone. The most important thing is to enjoy your time on Regent. The dress code is really common sense for dining in fine restaurants.

RachelG, As a man I'm equally disappointed with the change in code. I love putting on a tux and seeing my beautiful DW in her best bib and tucker. I must admit, however, that I get no support from the distaff side and we might not be going on my bucket cruise from SYD-HKG if RSSC hadn't changed the code. We love SS and I would have chosen them but the itinerary wasn't quite as good and DW didn't want to deal with the many formal nights:rolleyes:

Just a quick comment. I am 100% against the formal dress code (as are most of the people I speak with currently on board). If it were put to the vote again, I'd select "Informal" (jacket and slacks) and "Country Club Casual". The dress codes of Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal keep many passengers away (along with their smoking policies). JMHO

Travelcat2!!!! I could only dream of 15 days on board, our Med Itin. Was only 10 days and one scheduled Sea Day (missed Santorini) and an unplanned sea day...every day a new wonderful port Rome, Florence, Ephesus, 2ports in Italy etc... We had 9 and 10 hr tour days in most ports.

My favorite Regent cruise was a 16 day where every other day was a sea day to recover! Guess I'm not as young as I used to be! This last cruise had so many important ports to miss one and blow off the day!

So from my outlook it was a really hard (brutal) trip, we needed a vacation from our vacation! And we LOVED every minute of our cruise and the time we spent on Mariner.

As to dress code, i do enjoy my DH in a Tux and getting all gussied up too. There were many on our cruise that seemed to not get that you did need to dress for dinner. We like casual for the most part but some folks on our cruise seemed to think it was a beach party.

Ok enough said, dress was casual very casual, food was great, they would not let me bring Ram our butler home :( the ungrade fairy was generious, and we never smelled anything coming from Mariner!!!!

Jackie, Understand where you're coming from. Without being rude, however, I hope you understand different opinions. Imo a woman who dresses to please her man, or to be a spectacular addition to a party, is something special; and I applaud it.

Personally I do not like the Regent dress code. I call the way most people dress these days as "In-elegant scruffy". You do not see jeans or shorts at dinner but you see Hawaiian shirts, "cargo" pants etc etc. not at all the way it used to be... and that is a shame. However there is no reason why you cannot dress anyway you like - and we do! Blazer or long sleeved shirt and nice trousers for my husband, skirt and top or dress for me. How I wish we could return to the days of the three categories of dress!!

My husband wore a blazer and long sleeved shirt to dinner every night on Navigator in March. He always looked "elegantly casual". I wore a dress most nights. I don't think either of us looked out of place. The funny thing is, we probably were the poorest people on the ship, but we looked quite the opposite!

Help please.

We are regular cruisers but this is our first trip with Regent.

We often travel P&O and are geared for their 'informal' 'semi' and 'formal' dress codes which most passengers adhere to.

In fact on recent cruises most people were dressing up on even the Casual nights.

I wonder if anyone can advise me what to expect on a Regent Med. cruise.

I have read the advice in the 'small print' but in reality do people do 'dressy' or is it generally quite casual.

Thanks in advance

It was quite casual on my Med cruise. So much so that one person wore T-shirts and either jeans or shorts to dinner in CR every night. Most other passengers however were at least an average country club casual (as opposed to the country clubs where a black tux is casual).

I am 100% against the formal dress code (as are most of the people I speak with currently on board). If it were put to the vote again, I'd select "Informal" (jacket and slacks) and "Country Club Casual". The dress codes of Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal keep many passengers away (along with their smoking policies). JMHO

Couldn't agree more.

We have seen shorts, bare feet and jeans in the lounges after 6:00 p.m. (some enter as late as 7:30 p.m.). Unfortunately, they are asked to return to their suites and change. To avoid this embarassment, it is really a good idea to read Regent's Elegent Casual dress code. Basically, there are no jeans, shorts, t-shirts or hats allowed after 6:00 p.m. - anywhere except your suite.

Although the policy states that casual wear is not acceptable after 6, the pool was often open until 8 PM on our recent Navigator cruise. I did not see anyone swimming in elegant casual wear.

One thing I don't like about the evening dress code is that it always goes into effect at 6 p.m. If it's winter and it gets dark outside at 5:30, that seems appropriate. If it's summer and it's light until 7:30 or 8:00 or later, I wish Regent flexed the start of required evening attire until a little later -- perhaps 7 p.m. If you get back from a later afternoon tour and want to visit a bar for a drink before going back to your suite to shower and change for dinner, it should be okay. If you are lounging at the pool late because it's still delightfully sunny, it should be okay. If you want to be out on deck to enjoy a wonderful sunset before dressing for dinner, that should be okay.

I know on our Alaska cruise a few years ago -- where it's daylight all the way through dinnertime -- we, and many other passengers, stretched the 6 start time of evening attire a bit later (albeit not until sunset!).

I think Regent would do well to make the evening attire time in public places (except the restaurants) start later -- probably 7 p.m. -- in locales and seasons when it is daylight past 7 p.m.

-- Eric

No time to address each post individually. Just a couple of comments. The bartender in the Observation Lounge walks around at 6:00 p.m. to insure that everyone is not wearing jeans or shorts. We have not seen ONE person dressed the way someone described above. I understand that this could happen if an excursion arrives late and the choice Regent has is to either extend the hours of Compass Rose or allow guests to dine there the way they are dressed. I am happy that Regent does not make the hard-working staff work longer hours at night (they do at lunch) to accommodate late guests coming off of excursions.

Just to be clear, I have no problem whatsoever with people dressing up (tux, gowns, etc.). In fact, most men look incredibly sexy in a tux. My point is that I do not want this to be required. My DH does wear a sports coat with and without a tie which is above the dress code. However, most nights (like tonight) he is wearing a long sleeved shirt and nice slacks. I do find polo shirts and Hawaiian or similiar shirts (no matter how expensive) a bit too casual for Regent. However, this is my opinion and is not the policy set forth by Regent. For better or worse, we need to comply with the minimum dress code and hope that most passengers choose to go a little above that minimum.

P.S. I understand your comments. However, all of the Regent dining venues open at 6:30 p.m. which is probably why the dress code goes into effect at that time.

We would never wear shorts and T-shirts to dinner but for goodness sake I'm on vacation and would prefer not to stress about what to wear

I will be one of those dreaded newbies soon I hope I live up to your standards :)

English Tim,

You would most likely be the only one in a tux. It's up to you if you want to be that one person.

I was on the same Med cruise as Nana. I agree that it was "brutal", long days with excursions starting at 8 many mornings.

The dress, I agree with Nana, was very casual, very casual chinos on the men with shirts. I did see a man in jeans and sport coat in Horizon lounge after 6.

For after 6 PM: DH brought a sport coat, never wore it. He wears dress shirts (long sleeves) or nice silk sweaters with collars and dress pants, not chinos. He looks very dashing!

I wear a skirt with a top and cardigan most nights. I bring a few skirts and then mix and match the tops. Saves on packing since I try to wear something different every night.

Yikes, I seem to find myself on threads discussing how to dress when in reality, this is just common sense. We are on Silversea in Jan and I have been told that if I do not like to wear a gown, perhaps "we are not Silversea material." Also sailed on Regent (several times) and Seabourn. Just follow the dress code. My DH almost always wears a jacket (it is cool in the restaurants). I always wear nice skirts or slacks with fancy tops. I would hate it if Regent allowed someone to wear shorts, jeans, caps, etc in CR or any other restaurant. For heavens sake, I think it is respectful to all to follow the dress code.

We would never wear shorts and T-shirts to dinner but for goodness sake I'm on vacation and would prefer not to stress about what to wear

I will be one of those dreaded newbies soon I hope I live up to your standards :)

Just follow the Regent guidelines and you'll be fine. There is no reason whatsoever for anyone to dress to please someone else. If it's important to some people to see men in tuxes and women in ball gowns they should just cruise a ship that requires that and not try to influence others to dress that way on Regent.

We've just spent 25 days on Mariner and there were no dress issues. Men looked just fine in Hawaiian-type shirts and the occasional polo or short-sleeved shirt. Why anyone feels the need to object to this is beyond me.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't be intimidated by anyone here.

Archived