No answer on port boards

I posted this question on the Jamaica board and received no answers. Has anyone been to the island shopping area adjacent to Jimmy Buffet's in Ocho Rios? Is it quality stuff or "made in China"? I believe someone said there wasn't much open anymore.

I posted this question on the Jamaica board and received no answers. Has anyone been to the island shopping area adjacent to Jimmy Buffet's in Ocho Rios? Is it quality stuff or "made in China"? I believe someone said there wasn't much open anymore.

Wish I could help you..we were there not too long ago, but we docked in Falmouth. Tons of shops in port and I would say most of it was "Made In China"

Hopefully someone else can help you further.:)

I'm not sure what you mean by quality but most items we saw was the typical made in china or other areas nowhere near the caribbean.

Stuff from china must be reasonable good quality since its sold all over the islands and people still buy it. :D

Both.

There are several jewelry stores...clothing stores...some chain stores...and beach access

You can google it. There is a map online..with a store listing...

I can't remember the website, sorry.

Sidenote: Even though it is quite close to the port there are some shady characters lurking between buildings...use care.

It's been several years since I've been there, so things could have changed, but I remember there being some good stores - nothing too unlike other Caribbean shopping areas, though. There was a Cariloha, which is rather pricey but super soft Bamboo clothing and home accessories. I'm pretty sure there is also a Del Sol, and perhaps a Sunglass Hut. It's kind of similar (but smaller) to the shopping area in St. Thomas, if you've been there.

The Jamaica board is the better place to ask. A very small number of people would probably know.

I ask on the jamaica board if Hilton rose hall was within walking distance to the school and the great white house and got no answer. Out of all the people who have visited Hilton (on the board) you would think someone would know if either are within walking distance...but no answer for me either.

LIV 2 CRUISE clearly wrote "I posted this question on the Jamaica board and received no answers".

I posted a question about the America's Cup Yacht Race Cozumel board, got nothing.

Went to the RCI board and posted it there, got a lot of good info.

I do not think the Ports of Call boards get as much attention as the Cruise lines boards.

I posted a question about the America's Cup Yacht Race Cozumel board, got nothing.

Went to the RCI board and posted it there, got a lot of good info.

I do not think the Ports of Call boards get as much attention as the Cruise lines boards.

Agreed...which is why it annoys me when posters criticize where some of the posts are posted. The original poster stated that he/she HAD posted on the port forum, but received NO response...leading him/her to post on the general questions forum.

I ask on the jamaica board if Hilton rose hall was within walking distance to the school and the great white house and got no answer. Out of all the people who have visited Hilton (on the board) you would think someone would know if either are within walking distance...but no answer for me either.

Have been there -- it is not within walking distance of either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay.

A new pier facility has opened up which some ships dock at -- Falmouth -- I have no idea if Rose Hall is near there. We were scheduled to dock at Falmouth but it wasn't ready for ships so we ended up at the freight pier in Ocho Rios.

We have shopped at that shopping area twice. Enjoyed great food and drinks and music and views and shopping at Jimmy Buffets. Of course there is a beach and beach toys to play on at Jimmy's as well as a pool (with a slide if I remember correctly). Bought some excellent liquor at the liquor store (mainly rums). There is a stage in the middle of the complex where we saw a great show once for free. The other shops changed from one time to the next so they may even be different again now. But very nice and clean inside the shopping complex. If you are not afraid to say no to the street people, then you can walk a short distance to your left from Jimmy's complex to the Taj Majal shopping center which has a very nice jewelry store back in the corner and a bunch of other shops!

Thanks, I will be careful. I have read the numerous posts re OR on these boards and have been to Jamaica twice. Frankly, I wouldn't even get off the ship except I will be with my grandson and he will probably want to do something. First time in Jamaica was about 12 years ago and we have a wonderful ship excursion to Noel Coward's home. Nice scenery along the way. Now it's all Dunns River Falls, Dunns River Falls, Dunns River Falls. No thanks. Maybe we'll do Magic Mountain ...

When in Jamaica we usually take one of the tour buses, parked outside the terminal, to the Shops at Rose Hall.

They aren't that many but they are a little more upscale that the shops around the cruise port.

Here is one of the many links out there that mention Rose Hall's Shops.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/destinations/st_james/the-shoppes-at-rose-hall.htm

Archived