Will someone explain WHY the 3rd passenger is NOT discounted?

Okay so looking at a cruise out of Galveston on Magic in March 2013, when i put in 2 with the past guest rate I get $2327 but when i add the 3rd person I get $3271, I THOUGHT it was supposed to discount the 3rd and/or 4th passengers?? but that adds like $1100 on!! :confused:

it's this way for any dates i have tried out of galveston? some dates if i put 3 past guest rate even disappears.

Can anybody tell me why there are not discounted rates for 3rd person?:(

THANKS

If a sailing is close to capacity, then Carnival can get restrictive with their pricing.

No discounts are ever guaranteed. OR it could just be s glitch in the system.

I do know that during the summer, the 3rd person discount "aint what it used to be".

Where a summer sailing years ago was $149 for a 3/4 person...it is $389...almost as much as the 1st and 2nd....

I see a 3rd passenger discount on every sailing in March for all categories.

Stay with the same promo, like early saver, for every search. Don't compare an ES double rate with a Past Guest Triple rate.

WE noticed when we book 3 or 4 passengers over 2, it just dicounts ALL people across the board. So instead of first and second being $500 and the third being $300, it will be $433pp, it just spreads out the dicount out among all the people booked.

WE noticed when we book 3 or 4 passengers over 2, it just dicounts ALL people across the board. So instead of first and second being $500 and the third being $300, it will be $433pp, it just spreads out the dicount out among all the people booked.

Yes,it just shows the avg rate for all pax.

So, it appears the third person rate went up, but you'll see passenger 1 and 2 went down. They just divide the rate by 3.

OP, your numbers show over 1100 per person for the first two and then a jump of a little over 900 for the third.

Sometimes the ship can be getting close to full occupancy with families traveling with 3 and 4 to a room. The ship needs to make sure the cabins all sail at double occupancy for best revenue. They cut the discounts for the third and fourth to encourage booking a separate cabin rather than use the discount for the third and fourth passenger.

Not sure if I made that make sense or not.

Or , like others have said, it could just be a glitch in the website.

Okay so looking at a cruise out of Galveston on Magic in March 2013, when i put in 2 with the past guest rate I get $2327 but when i add the 3rd person I get $3271, I THOUGHT it was supposed to discount the 3rd and/or 4th passengers?? but that adds like $1100 on!! :confused:

it's this way for any dates i have tried out of galveston? some dates if i put 3 past guest rate even disappears.

THANKS

Sounds to me like you are booking spring break time and CCL can fill the ship without discounting. There is no rule that the 3rd and 4th passengers are always discounted, though in your case there appears to be a small discount for the 3rd passenger.

I have seen 3rd and 4th guest cost more then 1st and 2nd. It is just on some sailings and you wont know on the Carnival site until you try a reservation for 2, then one for 4. We used to check and book to cabins if it was equal to, or more then booking one.

If you ask Carnival they will say that it will never be more for 3rd and 4th. Theoretically if they divide the price by 4 it is impossible anyone to cost anymore then anyone else.

Also, if a category 4A is available for 459, but none of the 4As accommodate 4 you will be bumped up to a 4B costing more right off the bat. Unless upgrades are included in your fare.

Not to give anyone any ideas, but a good pricing person would realize that you can probably GET more for a third pax, but not for a third AND fourth, as that would just be the incentive just to get a second cabin.

But as a family of 3, I've yet not to see any discount for a third passenger. And if I didn't, I'd have no alternative (except to splurge on bringing one of her grandmothers. Might be worth the extra $$ for the third pax!:D )

I have 6 cabins booked on my upcoming cruise. Five are 2 person cabins and 1 is a 3 person. The 3 person is actually a couple hundred dollars more per person than the 2 person cabins. Same category. I was told this is because on my cruise, the 3 person cabins were in high demand and almost sold out. The 3 person cabins were going for a much higher rate.

THANKS

If i understand the question

2 passengers = $2347.00 if you divide by 2 = 1173.50 each

the third passenger is $3271 - $2347 = $924

That IS less for the third passenger

I've noticed that when I book with Carnival, two people in a cabin are a certain price per person, but when I add a third person the price for the first two people goes up and the third person is discounted. So, as others have said, the average price per person is what I look at. And that average price is generally right around or slightly less than the average price would have been per person for two people.

This is very unlike other cruise lines, where the 3rd person is usually much less, but I'm pretty sure it's a matter of economics. Carnival passanger are willing to pay just as much for the third person in a cabin, so that is what Carnival charges. It seems better to find a fourth person to bring and book two cabins (which I'm guessing is what Carnival would prefer that you do.)

THANKS

#1 on carnival.com the rates for 3 or more are averages, so you really are not seeing the rates for pax 1 and 2.

My guess is the cheapest triples are sold out, so its giving you the price for a more expensive category.

Okay, now i understand what/why it looks like this to me.....and yes it's a little bit of a discount, I just know on two other cruise lines for same dates the 3rd guest is 1/2 of what the first two passengers are, therefore, making it more affordable to go with another line. bummer.

Archived