leaving balcony door open?

CLGcruiser

We are sailing on the Solstice and have been wondering if you are able to leave the balcony doors open for sleeping? We love listening to the sea, but on the Oasis, if the door was open the air conditioning would not work. It got so stuffy, we had to close the door. I understand the logic, not to waste the cool air, however we love the "noise" outside.

It's the same type of system. If you leave the door open your a/c will not work properly.

I like to go to sleep to the sound of either rain or waves so I loaded an app on my iPhone. You might want to consider that, then you'll have the sound of the sea 365 days a year!

We'll be in the Mediterranean and who knows what the temps will be like. We were in western Caribbean on the Oasis and that's why we couldn't leave the doors open. We left them open on our cruise to Alaska and loved it!

We were on the Equinox for a mediterranen cruise in September and left the balcony doors open most of the nights. As I remember, you can either shut down the AC or at least set it to lowest level. However, it worked perfect. In the mediterranean area the night temperatures are usually considerably lower than during the day.

Well, yes. All depends... in spring and fall the decrease of temperature at night is higher than in summer, but that varies much depending on where you are.. north, west, east or south med. After midnight it getting better anyway. Wind direction might have an relative impact as well as the location of the cabin. Same with the environmental sound (deck number, rear, bow middle or where ever). Take into consideration, what conditions you usually live in and with what you feel comfortable there. And... and... In a nutshell: Just try! ;)

I love the AC to be on and the room nice and chilly mmmmm

Also in the mornings the balcony was always soaking wet in the med.

Maybe they got washed at night?

Not a good idea to keep the doors open.

The "noise" you hear is wind...there's really little "ocean" noise....no waves breaking...since they don't "break" in the middle of the ocean, unless it's mighty rough!

Actually, it's the breaking of the waves the ship makes when cutting through the water that makes that wonderful noise. I thoroughly enjoyed that a couple of weeks ago. We turned the AC off when the door was open.

Robin

We always leave the door open and the a/c on.Sometimes there is a humidity problem.The only issue we had was if it was windy there was a whistling noise from the vent in the bath room,closing the bathroom door quieted down some.Also be careful when you open the cabin door.

Tom

I'm a sleep walker and don't want to be awakened by someone screaming, "Man overboard!" (that would be me.) I thought I'd like the window open, but didn't dig it all that much. Besides, the steward said, "Oh, you have the door open....." Kinda indicated it shouldn't be.

We are sailing on the Solstice and have been wondering if you are able to leave the balcony doors open for sleeping? We love listening to the sea, but on the Oasis, if the door was open the air conditioning would not work. It got so stuffy, we had to close the door. I understand the logic, not to waste the cool air, however we love the "noise" outside.

we love the door open, and the waves crashing against the hull. i actually had a hard time sleeping when we got home a couple of weeks ago it was sooo quiet.

The "noise" you hear is wind...there's really little "ocean" noise....no waves breaking...since they don't "break" in the middle of the ocean, unless it's mighty rough!

Sorry, but it is not wind if you have an aft cabin, to have the balcony door open and listen to the wake is really pleasant way of getting to sleep.

An open balcony door not only messes up your AC, it can also affect the AC of other cabins on the same "loop" so,if you want to be considerate to other passengers - imagine that ;) - then keep the door closed.

In so many cases in leaving the balcony door open, there are many factors involved such as the temperature and humidity outside compared to inside, the force and direction of the relative wind. The point being there are just a lot of variables that enter into what affect it has on the interior climate. One thing is certain, if you detect any draft through the cabin door to the hallway, as in that whistling sound or when all the loose paper starts flying around the room when the main door is opened... it will affect (negatively) the adjacent cabins significantly.

The hallways serve as the cold air returns and many times balcony doors open will cause all the conditioned air in the hallways to be siphoned off to the outside. The warmer and more humid the outside, like the Caribbean makes it all the more noticeable.

I'm surprised there isn't a sticker on the door telling you not to leave it open. Every ship we've been on, and it's been many, have a sticker reminding you not to leave the door open as it messes with the a/c. So please don't.

Maybe I'm a sissy, but I wouldn't leave my balcony door open because I'm afraid that critters may sneak into my cabin. I haven't seen them often, but occasionally the ship does get stowaways. I've seen mice, several birds, and even a bat on my balconies. I would hate to have any of those get into the cabin through the open door. I'm afraid of bats so there would be enough screaming for the neighbors to think I was being murdered if I woke up with a bat in the cabin.

I would disagree - you can hear the surf hitting the ship.

Archived