Allure Formal Night

Formal night means just that. Both nights are equally formal. Do you have to dress formal? No. You can dress as formal or as informal as you want. If you care not to be formal there are places to eat in less than formal attire.

Yes, the first night is considered more formal- so for example i did, tuxedo on first formal night and blazer and tie on semi formal second night. Thats my interpretation of it, which seems to makes sense for packing and for browsing formal photos earlier rather than on the last day, etc

Yes, the first night is considered more formal- so for example i did, tuxedo on first formal night and blazer and tie on semi formal second night. Thats my interpretation of it, which seems to makes sense for packing and for browsing formal photos earlier rather than on the last day, etc

By whom? Not by any definition.

Thank you Dave, I knew the first formal night tends to be a bit more formal. My family wants to skip one and I was trying to figure out which one to skip.

The only difference I know about with the formal nights, is one usually involved lobster and one involves the same day as the Captain's reception.

I "feel" the first formal night is more formal than the second. I know I am so over dressing up (tuxes & long gown) that by the the second time formal night comes around you'll find hubby just in a tie and jacket and me in a normal dress. Sorry, but my personal opinion is one formal night on a 7 night cruise is enough. I am on vacation for goodness sakes and who wants to pack all that!

Formal night means just that. Both nights are equally formal. Do you have to dress formal? No. You can dress as formal or as informal as you want. If you care not to be formal there are places to eat in less than formal attire.

Just off the Allure and on formal night we saw people come to the dining room in shorts and there were some dressed in jeans. Did I notice it? Obviously. Did it bother me or affect my experience? No.

I don't understand the content of this thread so someone please help me get it since I'm always in favor of learning something new! I looked at Royal Caribbean's website and there is not one mention on what night is more formal than the other. So who defines this concept on the ships and how is it determined?

I agree with another poster who mentioned that formal nights are just as they are: formal! In other words, either the evening is formal or it's not! I'm going to be on the Allure this Sunday and throughout the week, I don't expect to see a difference between the 2 nights.

No need to discuss the definition of Formal again - thats not the question. What the OP wants to know is if the people actually on the ship (as opposed to hanging out here) seem more dressed up on one of the nights. The short answer is Yes - the first "Formal" night often seems to have more people participating.

I don't understand the content of this thread so someone please help me get it since I'm always in favor of learning something new! I looked at Royal Caribbean's website and there is not one mention on what night is more formal than the other. So who defines this concept on the ships and how is it determined?

I agree with another poster who mentioned that formal nights are just as they are: formal! In other words, either the evening is formal or it's not! I'm going to be on the Allure this Sunday and throughout the week, I don't expect to see a difference between the 2 nights.

I don't think the OP was looking for an official declaration of one night being more formal than the other. I think they were just asking in general, does one of the the 2 nights seem to be more formal than the other. Just my interpretation.

The meal tends to be better on the second formal night (Lobster). I am very hesitant to bring two suits or suit/tux on a cruise. Whatever I wear on the first I wear on the second.

Just as a side note....the lobster on the Allure last week was AWFUL! Way overcooked and rubbery....ick! :(

I think this is a good topic, because regardless of the few people who disregard dress code and other cultural things, it looks funny to me (not bothering me) when you have a group that is mixed between between tuxedos and blazers. So in general, by doing tux first night then blazer is going the flow.

Also when i first rented a tuxedo package onboard the the tailor suggested to wear the bow-tie and cummerbund on the first night and the (also included) neck tie and vest on the second formal night.

Thank you Dave, I knew the first formal night tends to be a bit more formal. My family wants to skip one and I was trying to figure out which one to skip.

I am not sure how one interprets which is more formal I have always thought it was equal. However how someone else has decided to dress is not a very good indicator. To me the night they serve Lobster is a bigger indicator and they normally serve Lobster the second formal night.

Archived