Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

It's been several years since I wore my tux on a cruise, and now I have no problem just wearing dockers and a polo or dress shirt on elegant night.

This is an individual choice for each cruiser, and IMO, as long as someone stays close to the cruise ship's guidelines, it's fine with me what any else wears.

"To thine own self be true".

I like to sit and watch everyone who thinks they are dressed up going to dinner. I don't think many of them have mirrors in their rooms. Dress up on carnival is just not jeans and a T-shirt although I have seen that get by at times.

I get a dressed up a lot in my daily life so the thought and preparation of dressing up on vacation is something that I really could do without. Even with that being said, I do participate in Elegant night and I have done so even on Freestyle cruising on NCL when you don't have to.

Have to say I enjoy it, but when sailing with my almost 93 year old Dad, every night is somewhat formal. He does a tux or dinner jacket on Formal nights, but always has a jacket for all other nights. Gotta keep up with Dad!a31b3608e6f5e78899bdab5560946a7c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a lovely photograph!

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

Have to say I enjoy it, but when sailing with my almost 93 year old Dad, every night is somewhat formal. He does a tux or dinner jacket on Formal nights, but always has a jacket for all other nights. Gotta keep up with Dad!a31b3608e6f5e78899bdab5560946a7c.jpg

Cool! I like that your dad is keeping tradition alive. He's a handsome fellow in that tux... may he live to be 100+. My MIL is also 93. :)

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

I never dress like a slouch for dinner, but I do not enjoy puttin' on the ritz for dinner.

I work hard all year long and just want to relax on my cruise, and that does not include dressing up for dinner. And frankly, I don't care what other people are wearing. That being said, I do think men should wear at least a collared shirt (polo shirt and not t-shirt) for supper, but it doesn't stress me if they don't. Nice shirt and nice shorts for supper for guys and nice shirt and nice capris for women, and I'd be comfortable. But I'd never feel deprived if others don't dress that way. I'd just be happy to be dining with other happy diners. :-)

YES

We dont get "dressed up" for anything at home so YES we look forward to elegant night and the pictures :D

Ditto, DW will always pick up one new dress before the cruise and pull one of my favorites from her now extensive formal night wardrobe. She looks fantastic and it always one of my favorite parts of the cruise. She never spends much on the dresses either, more often then not, the shirt and tie she gets me to match costs more. (But the shoes are a totally separate issue!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awesome picture!!

We have a small farm and wear clothes that get dirty every day. So it's no surprise that we love to dress up!!

I was just thinking about this. I think I will wear a dress shirt and tie but no jacket. I just can't see myself packing a sport coat on a trip to the southern caribbean in August, only to wear it a couple of nights to dinner. Maybe if I were planning to get a professional photo... but I'm not.

Elegant on Carnival is perhaps a misnomer for many of the passengers. Check out other threads on Elegant or formal night (there are 2 or 3 new ones it seems every week):D:D

I wear black slacks, black sandles and a nice top. DH wears khakis, a short sleeve plaid button down collar shirt and loafers. We're neither under or over dressed for "Elegant Night" on Carnival.;)

I think it is great that your dad still wants to do it. As for myself, I normally always dress very nice for dinner on the ships, and for formal night, I always dress a little extra. Even at my age of 74, I get so many compliments for the way I dress. It just makes me want to dress MORE like that. :)

I like elegant night but not on carnival. I don't find it elegant at all....kakhis and a polo (which btw is not a dress shirt) is business casual and there is nothing "elegant" about it.

Do we dress up? Not any more since they started to relax the standard this far. DH will wear a dress shirt and slacks and I will wear a simple dress. We will save cocktail dress for Princess where it's appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums