Locked out on the balcony on the Summit

miched

I am only referring to the Summit as that is the only M class that I have been on it may be the same on the other M class ships but I don't know.

I have been on 2 S class ships and they have very nice and smooth operating doors with a completely different locking system. There is a handle inside and outside the door.

On the Summit the handle is only on the inside. Outside there is a small depression in the door instead of a handle and the door doesn't slide easily, so you grab the handle on the inside to close the door and ....

So if you don't believe it take a cruise on the Summit and try it. I talked to the Head of Securtiy and the cabin steward and they both said it happens frequently. So I am not making it up.

My post didnt infer you were wrong or making it up, I just stated what I found. I had read your thread, found it interesting and when I got on the Eclipse, checked it out. I assumed, rightly, this was a Summit design flaw. Good of you to start this thread....and sorry you felt I was questioning it.....Not.

Edit: I just re-read my post with an eye on how it could be read as questioning this occuring. Since I didnt end the next to last sentence with "...locked out on the Balcony" properly by adding "....on the Eclipse." I now see how you could interpret what I posted as quesitoning if it occured. Sorry, always hard when we are not face-face.

Believed your story and that was one of the first things I checked in my SR. Thanks for the heads up.

Den

De

I gave up trying to go through the almost 200 threads posted for over a month, so I quit and will add my observation about S-Class ships that has probably been mentioned......On the Eclipse, the handle must be rotated up to lock it, and down to unlock, so I don't see how you can get accidently locked out on the Balcony.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Den

Page 1, post 18 I said this and also acknowledged there is a design fault on the M-Class ships which can cause an issue like that the OP experienced. Hard to trawl through all the posts on this thread with puns that for me at least became tired and old long ago. Perhaps I need a humour inplant.:confused:

Phil

The new Deck 11 aft cabins seemed to have the S class doors with handles both sides on Summit however, the steward kept messing around with our handle ( maybe he thought he was in another room on the ship) and in the end we had to get it looked at by maintenance. I think if he had left it alone, there would have been no issue.

We locked ourselves out during a cruise on Millie in Feb. I learned that unless you have the door latch lever all the way down, it might pop up into the lock position when the door closes hard against the frame. That is what happened to us. Neighbors called security who had a butler rescue us. He said it happens all the time and demonstrated how it happened. So keep those lever handles turned all the way down.

My post didnt infer you were wrong or making it up, I just stated what I found. I had read your thread, found it interesting and when I got on the Eclipse, checked it out. I assumed, rightly, this was a Summit design flaw. Good of you to start this thread....and sorry you felt I was questioning it.....Not.

Edit: I just re-read my post with an eye on how it could be read as questioning this occuring. Since I didnt end the next to last sentence with "...locked out on the Balcony" properly by adding "....on the Eclipse." I now see how you could interpret what I posted as quesitoning if it occured. Sorry, always hard when we are not face-face.

Believed your story and that was one of the first things I checked in my SR. Thanks for the heads up.

Den

De

Not a problem. Things like that happen all the time, we write something and it gets read or interpreted different than we intended.

Thanks for your input and

Happy Poating.

Thanks to all of you who have given me and my DH the best laugh we have had in weeks! CC can be a very scary place for those of us who read the posts often, but do not post many comments or questions ourselves.

Happy Cruising All!!!!

------------------

Donna & Mike:D:D:D:D:D

Page 1, post 18 I said this and also acknowledged there is a design fault on the M-Class ships which can cause an issue like that the OP experienced. Hard to trawl through all the posts on this thread with puns that for me at least became tired and old long ago. Perhaps I need a humour inplant.:confused:

Phil

No Phil, no humour inplant needed; this thing got old about 4 pages ago!:rolleyes:

Phil

That is my bitch. It is a design fault. The head of security and the room steward acknowledged it. The ship went into dry dock for upgrades. You would think that a design fault like that would have been corrected. As I posted in all the other cruise lines and ships that I have sailed on it was a first for me. X has messed up on this one. Whenever there is a design fault in the auto industry there is a recall to correct the problem. Apparently X thinks it is ok for some passengers to get locked out when closing the doors and not leaving them open when on the balcony.

So the solution is to leave the door open or use a Poat. :D

Archived