Passport is sufficient correct?

poohbear60

We are traveling on our first cruise on Carnival and as a family of four we all have passports now, my dh and I just got ours. I have read some threads that are saying they take along their birth certificates also? We are just doing a 3 day cruise from Miami to the Bahamas, so I thought the passport would be enough. I looked on Carnival's website and it appears that it should be. I'm just a little confused, and want to make sure we have all our documents that we need! Thanks in advance from the first time cruiser:).

We are traveling on our first cruise on Carnival and as a family of four we all have passports now, my dh and I just got ours. I have read some threads that are saying they take along their birth certificates also? We are just doing a 3 day cruise from Miami to the Bahamas, so I thought the passport would be enough. I looked on Carnival's website and it appears that it should be. I'm just a little confused, and want to make sure we have all our documents that we need! Thanks in advance from the first time cruiser:).

The passport is enough. Have a good cruise!

There is no reason to bring a BC if you are carrying a passport.

Unless you lose it on the way to the port;) (or grab the expired one, both of which I've read about happening recently). I would have electronic copies of all our documents on a flash drive, just in case.

You will need your passport and a credit card to check in. On port days you don't want to carry your passport with you, it will be in the cabin safe, so bring the driver's license or a photo ID with you.

You will need your passport and a credit card to check in. On port days you don't want to carry your passport with you, it will be in the cabin safe, so bring the driver's license or a photo ID with you.

If you leave the passport in the safe on port days, what happens if you miss the ships departure time? Can you still get a flight to the next port?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Passport should be sufficient enough when you travel. If it makes you have peace of mind, what you can do is head down to the Pursers desk and request for copies of passports to be made.

I certainly did it when I was working at the desk. Hope this helps.

If you leave the passport in the safe on port days, what happens if you miss the ships departure time? Can you still get a flight to the next port?

Unlikely (unless the next port is in the US)......I would carry my passport with me and leave a photocopy on board. However, I have heard (on CC boards) about ship personnel breaking into the safe of passengers who've missed the ship and leaving their passports with the officials at the port. I don't know if that happens frequently or not. I wouldn't count on it and I'd carry my passport with me (safely, keeping pickpockets in mind).

Unlikely (unless the next port is in the US)......I would carry my passport with me and leave a photocopy on board. However, I have heard (on CC boards) about ship personnel breaking into the safe of passengers who've missed the ship and leaving their passports with the officials at the port. I don't know if that happens frequently or not. I wouldn't count on it and I'd carry my passport with me (safely, keeping pickpockets in mind).

Thanks for the advice calliopecruiser. Leaving a photocopy in the safe sounds like a good idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It seems as though some cruise lines will do this, and some will not. Some people believe the best place for your passport is in the safe, so it is less likely to be lost or stolen. Others believe that it belongs with you at all times, as it is your ID abroad and you would need it to travel if something were to happen.

Consider asking at the guest services desk on the first day of your cruise, if ship's staff will retrieve your passport and leave it at port if you miss the ship. Use that information to make your own decision. If you leave the passport aboard, carry color photocopies. If you carry your passport, leave color photocopies aboard.

Most people do not take their passports into ports, it usually isn't necessary. Therefore, they want you to have a picture ID and your key card to get back into the dock area and onto the ship.

Most people do not take their passports into ports, it usually isn't necessary. Therefore, they want you to have a picture ID and your key card to get back into the dock area and onto the ship.

Too late to get passports at this point as we leave in 15 days, but the Carnival site says that if leaving and entering the US from the same port, only a certified BC is required. Is that right?

Too late to get passports at this point as we leave in 15 days, but the Carnival site says that if leaving and entering the US from the same port, only a certified BC is required. Is that right?

As long as nothing goes wrong and the ship doesn't leave a foreign country without you.

Archived