"LIVE" from Enchantment of the Seas- Bermuda/New England - May 17, 2012

I am really enjoying your live reports. Hope the weather improves

We board for a 6 night in 5 weeks.

I wanted to suggest based on my experience that you should wait list for early dining. I booked our April trip 10 months out and early dining was closed. I accepted main dining and wait listed. About 5 weeks later I cleared the wait list and had my dining selection.

If the LA on-board will not wait list you call C&A when you get home.

I am really enjoying your live reports. Hope the weather improves

We board for a 6 night in 5 weeks.

I wanted to suggest based on my experience that you should wait list for early dining. I booked our April trip 10 months out and early dining was closed. I accepted main dining and wait listed. About 5 weeks later I cleared the wait list and had my dining selection.

If the LA on-board will not wait list you call C&A when you get home.

I agree with this--- I have wait-listed before a few times, and was successful in getting switched to my preferred time.

Thank you for taking the time to post compasses, but for some reason I can't open Day 4 onward. I get message - Word Press 404 - File not found. Also would you happen to have the dining room menus.

We are following along with you on this cruise. We took this cruise May 3rd. Our dear cruising friends Holly & Bruce, Debbie and Jim are on this cruise. We would have liked to been there with them, but grand jury duty intervened. So this is as close as we can get to be with them.

I just booked this cruise for June 14 - it's been 6 years since I've sailed with Royal C and am looking forward to seeing all new to me ports and have never been to Baltimore.

Where on the top deck is best to stand for the best views as we leave Baltimore? Port or Starboard?

Thanks so very very much for posting pics and info along with the daily news -- super way to help my pre-planning urge!

I look forward to being with you each day. ;)

Dinner was wonderful with the same 4 people at the table. This afternoon I booked what will probably be my final voyage on Enchantment, a 9-day on January 26. At this early date early seating is not available so it looks like I will have to try My Time Dining.

Roy

If you really want early dinner, go back to the Loyalty Ambassador and have her/him put your on a waiting list. In 95% of the time, being that this is so far out, you will be given early dinner within a couple months.

I just booked this cruise for June 14 - it's been 6 years since I've sailed with Royal C and am looking forward to seeing all new to me ports and have never been to Baltimore.

Where on the top deck is best to stand for the best views as we leave Baltimore? Port or Starboard?

Thanks so very very much for posting pics and info along with the daily news -- super way to help my pre-planning urge!

I look forward to being with you each day. ;)

If you stand on the port side, then you will have a view of Fort McHenry.

Thank you for taking the time to post compasses, but for some reason I can't open Day 4 onward. I get message - Word Press 404 - File not found. Also would you happen to have the dining room menus.

I post the compasses by email but only seldom go into the blog physically as it eats satellite time. I set up all the links ahead of time, but it's just now day 4 and the rest of the compasses will be posted as I get them.

Menus are the same setup with menus replacing compasses in the URL.

Roy

The day began much like Friday with raging winds, rain, and choppy sea. Around 9 Captain Andres came on the PA and gave us the bad news that the weather had further delayed our arival in Bermuda.

At 9:30 Timothy Calvert gave part 2 of his talk ofn Bermuda focusing on the West Side of the island. A few other activities were also scheduled like an extra session of Bingo due to our extended time at sea.

Around 11 things had calmed down to the extent that deck 5 had been reopened. The starboard gate at the bow was open and I got to walk around the bow of the ship only to find it had apparently been a mistake and the port gate was closed. I did walk all around deck 5 from the barrier around the bow and then the stern, back to the gate on the port side. The walking time was just under 7 minutes; I estimate a lap around the ship would be about 1/3 mile.

We got our first views of Bermuda about 12:30 and started to tie up about 2. We were cleared about 2:30 and it was about 3 when I got to the end of the pier and on a bus to Hamilton. A number of tours were cancelled either due to our delayed arrival or the weather but mine was not scheduled until 8PM. Hamilton is only about 3 miles from Kings Wharf but the island is sort of an open oval and it’s a long way by land. The bus ride was rather exiting as our driver made the 1-hour trip in about 45 minutes. I had about an hour to explore the town and do some work on the library’s internet before catching the 5PM ferry back to Kings Wharf. The vessel was standing room only and we left about 10 minutes late waiting for stragglers but the trip was only 20 minutes. When I got back to my room there was a note on the door that my “Nightlife Glass Bottom Boat” tour had been cancelled, I assume due to the strong winds.

I had expected to rush through dinner to make the tour but service was quick anyway and I finished about 7:15. There were 2 different evening shows. At 7:45 several of the Royal Caribbean singers did a cabaret show of their favorite songs. Comedian Kivi Rogers did the second show at 10:30, but I was too tired to stay up.

I did not see the Preakness but heard the results on the Sunday morning show. My paring shot today: Congratulations to potential Triple Crown winner “I’ll have another”

Roy

I post the compasses by email but only seldom go into the blog physically as it eats satellite time. I set up all the links ahead of time, but it's just now day 4 and the rest of the compasses will be posted as I get them.

Menus are the same setup with menus replacing compasses in the URL.

Roy

Thank you. That answers my question as why I couldn't get it. I guess senior moment how could you post when you haven't done it yet. Not sure though what you mean with menus. Can you please explain.

Thank you. That answers my question as why I couldn't get it. I guess senior moment how could you post when you haven't done it yet. Not sure though what you mean with menus. Can you please explain.

Menus are at http://baltoenchantment.wordpress.com/menus

I slept in this morning until about 6:30, and left the ship about 9. The 9:30 ferry into Hamilton was crowded, but I got one of the last seats and there were few people standing. I continued exploring the town on foot for about 45 minutes. I don’t know if it ever works with RCI schedules but Victoria Park has a Summer Sunday celebration periodically (always 1st Sunday of the month) that looks interesting. My morning in Hamilton concluded with the 11am service at Wesley Methodist Church.

The 12:15 bus took me to Somerset Bridge. This is billed as the world’s smallest draw bridge. The bridge spans a small cut between islands and has a tiny 32-inch opening. Sailboats must pass under the bridge but the opening is just wide enough to let the mast pass through.

Bermuda had a railroad which served passengers and freight from 1931-48. Once cars were allowed on the island, the railroad was abandoned and most of the right of way is now a trail. I walked the final 2 miles of the trail from Somerset Bridge to Somerset village before completing the trip to Kings Wharf on another bus.

After a bit of browsing in the shops my final stop in Bermuda was National Museum, originally the Maritime Museum. I did not find it much of a maritime museum but it was an interesting collection of things. There were exhibits in the Commissioners House, primarily relating to the slave trade and a great view of the harbor from the port. There was a Dolphin Quest section where people could get in the water with dolphins or simply watch, and an opportunity to walk the fortress walls all the way over to the former barracks/prison, now undergoing restoration, and eventually possibly part of the museum. I returned to the ship about 3:30.

All aboard was 4:30 with sailaway at 5. Several careless passengers sauntered up to the gangway about 4:50. We left the dock just a little after 5 for a smooth sailaway, with St. George passing by our dining room window about 6:30.

The evening show was the action comedy of Rick Novell. Novell was mostly a juggler, working from a freestanding ladder and unicycle and using a lot of humor and audience participation. I saw Novell perform on the Enchantment last May and the show was mostly the same, but enjoyable the second time around. We gain an hour tonight as we return to Eastern time for our arrival in Boston.

Today’s parting shot comes from tonight’s dinner conversation. Several of the tour personnel talked of living in Bermuda and loving it, but many having a feeling that they have to leave the island occasionally or else they start to feel a bit trapped. Apparently, we can even have too much paradise.

Roy

I slept in this morning until about 6:30, and left the ship about 9. The 9:30 ferry into Hamilton was crowded, but I got one of the last seats and there were few people standing. I continued exploring the town on foot for about 45 minutes. I don’t know if it ever works with RCI schedules but Victoria Park has a Summer Sunday celebration periodically (always 1st Sunday of the month) that looks interesting. My morning in Hamilton concluded with the 11am service at Wesley Methodist Church.

The 12:15 bus took me to Somerset Bridge. This is billed as the world’s smallest draw bridge. The bridge spans a small cut between islands and has a tiny 32-inch opening. Sailboats must pass under the bridge but the opening is just wide enough to let the mast pass through.

Bermuda had a railroad which served passengers and freight from 1931-48. Once cars were allowed on the island, the railroad was abandoned and most of the right of way is now a trail. I walked the final 2 miles of the trail from Somerset Bridge to Somerset village before completing the trip to Kings Wharf on another bus.

After a bit of browsing in the shops my final stop in Bermuda was National Museum, originally the Maritime Museum. I did not find it much of a maritime museum but it was an interesting collection of things. There were exhibits in the Commissioners House, primarily relating to the slave trade and a great view of the harbor from the port. There was a Dolphin Quest section where people could get in the water with dolphins or simply watch, and an opportunity to walk the fortress walls all the way over to the former barracks/prison, now undergoing restoration, and eventually possibly part of the museum. I returned to the ship about 3:30.

All aboard was 4:30 with sailaway at 5. Several careless passengers sauntered up to the gangway about 4:50. We left the dock just a little after 5 for a smooth sailaway, with St. George passing by our dining room window about 6:30.

The evening show was the action comedy of Rick Novell. Novell was mostly a juggler, working from a freestanding ladder and unicycle and using a lot of humor and audience participation. I saw Novell perform on the Enchantment last May and the show was mostly the same, but enjoyable the second time around. We gain an hour tonight as we return to Eastern time for our arrival in Boston.

Today’s parting shot comes from tonight’s dinner conversation. Several of the tour personnel talked of living in Bermuda and loving it, but many having a feeling that they have to leave the island occasionally or else they start to feel a bit trapped. Apparently, we can even have too much paradise.

Roy

Roy your comment about needing to get off the "Rock" as the natives call it, is true. When I've stayed on-island, I always talk with the staff at the hotels, and they mention how they need to get off several times a year to go shopping, see shows or family on the East Coast. I can see how you could go stir crazy after several months. When I flew back and forth there are always lots of Bermudians traveling as well as tourists.

Roy

Roy, thank you so much. After looking at the first four menus decided to make a reservation at Chops for day 4.

Thanks for all of the awesome info we are sailing late JUne. Will you be posting the room service menus as well? Thank you again!

I will, will just have to figure out how to do it. Just tried it as an attachment, but it was too big.

Thanks for the review and photos. What cabin category are you in? Is that a walk in closet?

Thanks. M

I'm in a basic outside cabin on deck 4. No walkin closet, but ample storage space at least for a solo.

Roy

I have seen questions about the jump zone on the Enchantment. This was a surprise to me since the ship has not been in drydock since my first visit a year ago and this seems like a major change.

The vita course that used to be on deck 10 is now gone. The old mesh trampoline has been replaced by a set of 4 big air cushions and a rigging structure which is attached to a set of bungee cords for each station. Since the jump zone sits above the deck level I found it hard to photograph but I have provided a couple of snapshots along with a short video which probably shows more of the idea than a still photo.

The jumper on the right had been jumping for a while when I started shooting while the one on the left is just getting started.

jump1.jpg.728aa90558c78cb1be386147b66a2ab6.jpg

jump2.jpg.8d03f138c6e95259a334398ab0f647ac.jpg

We are just past the halfway point from Bermuda to Boston and they announced at the close of the bellyflop contest they have a medical emergency, with an evacuation from the pool deck. I'm part of a big crowd in the Vista Crown Lounge. A helocopter is expected soon,; the pickup point seems to be above the ice cream machines, and a couple of crewmen in firefighter garb just walked by and are setting up a hose line. Captain just came on the PA with a helicopter ETA of 1 hour.

Roy

We are just past the halfway point from Bermuda to Boston and they announced at the close of the bellyflop contest they have a medical emergency, with an evacuation from the pool deck. I'm part of a big crowd in the Vista Crown Lounge. A helocopter is expected soon,; the pickup point seems to be above the ice cream machines, and a couple of crewmen in firefighter garb just walked by and are setting up a hose line. Captain just came on the PA with a helicopter ETA of 1 hour.

Roy

My thoughts and prayers go out to the person who has the emergency.

I have seen questions about the jump zone on the Enchantment. This was a surprise to me since the ship has not been in drydock since my first visit a year ago and this seems like a major change.

The vita course that used to be on deck 10 is now gone. The old mesh trampoline has been replaced by a set of 4 big air cushions and a rigging structure which is attached to a set of bungee cords for each station. Since the jump zone sits above the deck level I found it hard to photograph but I have provided a couple of snapshots along with a short video which probably shows more of the idea than a still photo.

The jumper on the right had been jumping for a while when I started shooting while the one on the left is just getting started.

That's probably the biggest thing my daughter's looking forward on our upcoming Enchantment cruise.

The Coast Guard helicopter arrived about 3:50 and the very professional evacuation was completed about 10 minutes later, headed for a hospital in Cape Cod. I will soon be heading off for my first RCI "Welcome back" party and have 2 port days but will provide a report with pictures as soon as possible.

Roy

Archived