Tipping in Windjammer

Oh boy-here we go. The can has been once again opened!! :D

This is a heavily debated discussion here and all I can say is-do what you think is right. You are going to get more information then you need and not all will feel the same.;)

Let's put it this way. I believe-if you eat in the standard way which is MDR everynight and WJ for breakfast and lunch everyday-your pre-paid tips will cover you. IMHO

Any other version is up for debate!!:p

We've tipped extra just once in the WJ. We sat at the same table every morning for breakfast and had a wonderful waiter. We left him $10 at the end of the cruise. Most of the time though we don't leave any extra, as it's included in the regular gratuities.

The tips are included, but, I always tip extra in the Windjammer. They come by and bring some coffee or juice, I give them a buck or two. It doesn't take long before they recognize you, so, I feel I end up getting better service. In addition, I feel the crew works very hard so I can have a great vacation and tipping is my way of showing appreciation for their service. If you can afford it, I encourage you to do the same.

The tips they suggest you pay, whether you pay in advance or at the end of the cruise cover ALL eating venues...not just the dining room. If you want to tip more, then it's up to you....it's not expected.

Some people think it is appropriate to tip anyone who does anything for them. Those people say they get better service and the workers deserve the extra money, even if, in some cases, they are being automatically tipped already.

They have their point of view......

Carrying that point of view ahead will result in the ship's people expecting a tip from everyone for everything.

How would you like a cruise where all the ship's people would be walking around with their hand virtually outstretched expecting a tip for every minimal service they might provide?

Yeah, I know…. Joe is a nasty old skinflint…. But seriously, if you are going to give $10 to the girl who brings beverages to your table, what about the guy who slices meat off the pork roast?

Pre paid gratuities, and 15% mandatory bar tips have already become a baseline from which one is expected to calculate the actual tip.

Do you really want to start tipping everyone for everything?

Hey everyone...meet Joe. You know Joe, he's the guy who compared tipping to extortion.

If, as you say, you must tip over and above the mandatory 15% in a bar in order to get proper service.... As I told you, extortion is too harsh a term….What would you call it?

Actually, I think the special service you claim to receive is probably in your mind.

I don’t think you can buy most people with a couple of bucks.

But that’s not what this thread is all about.

If, as you say, you must tip over and above the mandatory 15% in a bar in order to get proper service.... As I told you, extortion is too harsh a term….What would you call it?

Nobody said that Joe. In fact, everyone said the service was great, but that tipping may produce better service, heavier pours, etc.

Actually, I think the special service you claim to receive is probably in your mind.

I don’t think you can buy most people with a couple of bucks.

You may be right, as I certainly haven't conducted a double blind peer reviewed test. I'm willing to be the test subject if you're willing to be the control.

I usually tip in the Windjammer and I almost always tip the bartender cash.

You get better and faster service the next time.

You may also get your drinks before the person who was standing there before you waiting for a soda refill or something....

How do you tip extra so you know that the WJ crew gets the money? I'm not following because there are a lot of people that work in the WJ. If you leave cash on the table it will go to whoever picks it up. If you just tip extra with the sea pass it goes into the big pot. I don't know how you tip the WJ specifically.

Let me be on record that I am very much in favor of extra tipping especially over the 15%. At home I always tip 20% or more. These crew members really do live off these tips. Its strictly an American thing so I'm told that over tipping is done. In general we are a generous and appreciative people. Its one of those things about us that I find endearing. Americans are tippers in general.

I don't know how you tip the WJ specifically.

There are many people now, that also enjoy eating dinner in the WJ. Because you know for sure they also worked another shift in there-you can easily get to know your wait staff and tip them at the end otf the cruise last night-just like you would MDR.

If you have booked a suite and get to sit in a specialty dining venue-you can easily tip both your breakfast and lunch server on your last day.

Other then those situations-you would have to hand it directly to someone who has stood out that you would like to tip in the WJ I would think.

From what I have been told the people who are working in the windjammer durning breakfast & lunch also work in the MDR in the evening..and would be included in your regular tips...the people who work in the WJ in the evening are NOT included in the regular tips and would be deserving of a tip if you so desire, ...personally I feel anyone who goes above & beyond in meeting my basic service needs is deserving of an extra tip...$1 here or there is certainly NOT going to break my vacation budget...

I don't spend a lot of time in the Windjammer, but in all venues a smile and a thank-you go a very long way. Have you seen the snarly attitude of some guests?

And FWIW, I leave the auto-tips on (and generally pre-pay them) and give extra cash to some folks at the end of the cruise.

Sailed on the Oasis and prepaid our tips, however if I felt the service of anyone individual went above and beyond I tipped them personally and there were many. It really is up to the individual. Some think the prepaid tips and 15 percent gratuity cover everything and others like to give more so its whatever you prefer to do. it's a personal thing. We sat in the WJ and had the same waiter (our choice to do so). We tipped him in hand every night and again at the end of the cruise as he was super!!!! I did notice service was a little top notch with the people we tipped throughout the cruise so I felt it was deserved. On a whole everyone gave great service on the Oasis but there were a few stars and I felt the need to reward them!!!

Oh boy-here we go. The can has been once again opened!! :D

::Beats head against the wall::: noooooo not again!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone...meet Joe. You know Joe, he's the guy who compared tipping to extortion.

This is what always brings me back to this board. Everyday it gives me at least one good laugh! Thanks for today's laugh Cigar King!

To op: I do not mean to belittle your question. It is a serious one and we all understand the confusion... and it is very confusing to get all of the tipping strait. This board just laid to rest a couple of very long and heated debates about tipping and I think some are still a bit brain fried from the experience:D

You can do either... it seems everyone does it one way or another. I say as long as they get a tip who cares how they get it :D

We have eaten in the Windjammer many times and I have never seen anyone giving staff a tip so it is interesting to see that people do, will keep my eyes open on next cruise.

If most people are like my husband, they do it very quietly. Most time I miss when he tips someone (on ship or land) and end up whispering, "Did you remember to tip?!"

He hates it when I ask him but as a wife and mom I have come to terms with the fact I must be the busy body of the house or they would forget to put on clothes in the morning :rolleyes:

We have eaten in the Windjammer many times and I have never seen anyone giving staff a tip so it is interesting to see that people do, will keep my eyes open on next cruise.

Most who tip will tip on the final day of the cruise. Usually, it is just a handshake thanks at the end of the week with some cash. I have seen other more dramatic people make a big deal out of it too but luckily, those are few and far between.

Archived