Costa Rica

CDreamer

We have taken SD's cruise just before the Christmas cruise (which the 14th is) several times, Knot. We just did it last December. That week is generally priced quite attractively, and we have found that there has always been a great passenger mix with few, if any, kids.

Have to agree. The early Dec. cruises on SD have been our best. Besides, we are way overdue. I have actually had to order my own Bulgari products!

Edited by Jim Avery

Pre/post packages with transfers are due out within the week. They look good but I am sworn to secrecy for the moment.:eek::D

Will they be on the website, Jim, or will those of us who are booked get emails? When you see them, please post - I tend not to go to the website much.

We just booked our air to Barbados last night. You were right about great deals on first class air! We have held off on booking our return flight from Costa Rica, however, pending how we feel about what SD has to offer. We need to know what resort we will be at in order to know which airport we will need to fly from.

Consistent with what others posted above, I was told by SD Miami that pre and post trip packages will be finalized soon. Was further told the info would be sent to those booked on the trips. Based on past experience would also assume same would be on the web site as well. If others hear more please advise. Thanks much!

Hi Jim Avery: We just signed up for a b/b Costa Rica starting Nov.30,2013. I think you are on the first 7 days. Thanks to your enthusiasm and many posts, we are joining you. I think we may have met before but can't quite place you. See you though, in 300 days??? Maxine

Hi Jim Avery: We just signed up for a b/b Costa Rica starting Nov.30,2013. I think you are on the first 7 days. Thanks to your enthusiasm and many posts, we are joining you. I think we may have met before but can't quite place you. See you though, in 300 days??? Maxine

Hi Guys, great news. Really looking forward to seeing Yall on board.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice on which city to stay in pre-cruise? I plan to arrive 2 nights in advance, which might be enough time to stay ocean side in a place like Herradura (Los Suenos Marriott). However, I don't want to spend too much time getting there from San Jose Airport, and then travelling from there to Caldera to catch the ship (and the hassles that might come with organizing my own transport). Would I be better to stay in San Jose and just enjoy that city? I will be spending one night post-cruise in San Jose, so maybe that's enough?

Thanks.

Any advice on which city to stay in pre-cruise? I plan to arrive 2 nights in advance, which might be enough time to stay ocean side in a place like Herradura (Los Suenos Marriott). However, I don't want to spend too much time getting there from San Jose Airport, and then travelling from there to Caldera to catch the ship (and the hassles that might come with organizing my own transport). Would I be better to stay in San Jose and just enjoy that city? I will be spending one night post-cruise in San Jose, so maybe that's enough?

Thanks.

Our pre-cruise is in Barbados, so I can't help you there. But post cruise we are spending a few days at the Four Seasons. It's not near; it's about a four hour drive, but the hotel is picking us up at the port in Caldera. As long as someone else is driving, we'll see Costa Rica. We are then flying home from the Liberia airport rather than the San Jose airport. LIR is about one hour from the hotel. I looked into flying to the hotel but we wouldn't save any time. It would be an hour from Caldera to the San Jose airport, then a forty minute flight, and then an hour from LIR to the resort. And that doesn't allow for getting to the airport early. And I feel confident in the transportation since it is provided by the hotel.

Not sure what the hold up is on the pre/post packages. I was led to believe that they would be published a week or 2 a go. Still plenty of time now but still want to get it all nailed down. Happy weekend all.:D

We have had only one experience with SD when they were doing new ports. We took the last two legs of their initial Northern Europe itineraries. This had to do with shore excursions rather than pre/post cruise packages, but we wanted to know what was going to be offered as there were certain things we wanted to see and if they were not offered we had to make our own arrangements. We were told time and time again that the excursions were to be published soon; this went on for months. I called. Our TA called. SD told her that lots of others were calling also. Bottom line is that the excursions were published less than a month prior to the cruise. The excursion offerings were wonderful; SD did come through. It's just that I don't have the temperment to do it that way. I want to know in advance what I'm going to be doing. This experience is the reason why we decided not to wait for the pre/post packages to be published. When they were not published when SD had told you that they were to be within the week, Jim, I felt like I was hearing that old song again.

Hi Zimmy. I have heard that song as well. :eek: What I have seen so far, I like. As with you, we want to tie it down. For this reason we are usually "do it your self" types but SD does do it right (if not always promptly).:D Just ready to go I guess.

If you want to stay outside San Jose pre or post cruise, the Los Suenos Marriott Resort in Herrudia has a "blues" sale on until Feb 28, and one of the major online booking agencies has added its own discount on top of that until midnight tonight (Sunday). You can book and cancel without penalty until 48 hours before your arrival date. We just booked a premium ocean view room for $188.00 in place of the regular $300 per night.

Hellos all. Apologies for being on the road a lot and not checking in here. Like several of you, we are booked for Costa Rica later this year (we are on the New Year's Eve/Day trip) and we, too, like to nail down the land portion now that I have flights booked. We will be in Costa Rica for Christmas Week prior to meeting up with SD in Caldera. The bottom line is that the Miami office told me about 2-3 weeks ago that James and others were working on it but wanting to make sure they had good packages to offer given the transportation challenges and other considerations. I was told then that the packages would be posted and emailed to those on these voyages by the end of February, which is only a week ago. After doing research for options on our own, we are electing to wait the week or so to see what SD has to offer that may (hopefully) make the logistics a bit less challenging. We won't wait too long, though, as what I have read says that Christmas Week is a busy one down there as one would assume.

I have seen the proposed packages but asked not to discuss them. If they remain as I have seen, we will be taking them. The logistics are all covered and the proposed activities/hotel, etc. all look good to us. We are also wanting to get things nailed down.:D

Jim, if possible, could you at least enlighten us as to the length of the pre-cruise packages as in 3, 5 or 7 days? Reason for asking is in our case since our pre-cruise segment is 7 days as we arrive the Sat before the Sat we board SD, and this is Christmas Week, if the SD packages are less than 7 days I need to find some place to stay prior to the packages, presumably in and around San Jose, prior to meeting with the SD packages.