Costa Rica

CDreamer

In case you aren't on FB - or haven't read Sea Dream's page yet - there's a teaser post that says there are two words to think about today: Costa Rica.

Looks like they might be adding another new itinerary! :D

very interesting. We have long wondered why they did not replace the Mexico itineraries with Costa Rica. I wonder where they will embark/disembark from? Flights seem to be making up a larger part of the travel budget so somewhere relatively easy would be nice.:D

James Cabello, the Commodore, has been on a "recce" trip to Costa Rica and (I think) Panama -- sounds like it went well! Wonder if they will do the Canal as well? Be very interesting to see what they come up with -- suspect I would be interested!!

Vandrefalk

Costa Rica would be a first for us, so we'd be very interested in this new route.

Like zqvol, I also heard it mentioned as a possible cruise destination on our last SD cruise (this past January).

Vandrefalk's mention of linking it with the Panama Canal would really be icing on the cake.... though no mention of that on SD's FB page -- at least not yet! ;)

Costa Rica has been on the list for a long time. Doing it on SD the first time would be the best possible way. Unless they change something in the posted voyages, it looks like Winter 2013 is the earliest it could happen.

Back in the Sea Goddess days, they did do the Canal and Costa Rica. Jim is right -- couldn't be til after the fall crossing in 2013.

What I'm thinking is that if you look at the map, you can only do the east side of Costa Rica from the Caribbean (perhaps from Barbados after one of the Amazon trips if they still do that?). However, if you do the east side and then go through the Canal, you can do the west side as well! Or maybe out of San Juan and just do the east side of Belize and Costa Rica? Isn't speculating fun :D

Hope they don't keep us in suspense too long!

Vandrefalk

Edited by vandrefalk

Back in the Sea Goddess days, they did do the Canal and Costa Rica. Jim is right -- couldn't be til after the fall crossing in 2013.

What I'm thinking is that if you look at the map, you can only do the east side of Costa Rica from the Caribbean (perhaps from Barbados after one of the Amazon trips if they still do that?). However, if you do the east side and then go through the Canal, you can do the west side as well! Or maybe out of San Juan and just do the east side of Belize and Costa Rica? Isn't speculating fun :D

Hope they don't keep us in suspense too long!

Vandrefalk

Maybe they could even go out of somewhere out of the Gulf Coast. I know Jim would like that.

I went back and looked at the places James visited -- they are on both sides of Costa Rica (Caribbean and Pacific) :) And he was at the Managua airport :)

Soooooo -- do you suppose they might go out of San Juan and you'd fly back from Managua? They could do a couple of cruises and end up back in San Juan, I'm thinking. . . . .

Vandrefalk

The email I received was dated May 22nd, and it said that the itineraries would be open for booking withing 10 days. So by my count that means by this Friday. Each morning I anxiously go to the website, and each morning I expect to be rewarded but I guess we'll just have to wait. I don't know why I'm so anxious - I'm sure we'll wait to book until we're on board this autumn. But I'm also sure, without even seeing the itineraries, that we are going.