Costa Rica

CDreamer

I did not get the email either. I just think Jim gets special emails that WE don't get!

I went in and did some research on Windstar which I think is the major competition for Sea Dream in the small ship Panana Canal/Costa Rica market. In late 2013 they are only doing back and forth Panama Canal cruises. No extensive Costa Rica cruises. Their first cruise is from Colon to Puerta Caldera on Nov 24. Then they quote back and forth Canal cruises with the last one being on Dec 29 2013. I would assume they will return to their Costa Rica/Nicaragua tours in Jan. but who knows! So that may be giving SD an opportunity in the Costa Rica market in December when Windstar is only doing the southern part and the canal.

At any rate those Nov/Dec cruises were priced for Cabin B 2199 to 2699, Cabin A 2399 to 2899, and a Suite from 3499 to 3999. And they were advertising 2 for 1 prices!

I have sailed on Windstar once in Costa Rica and loved it! It is not Sea Dream. I do prefer the SD all inclusive, better outdoor spaces in a warm climate, and think the food and service on SD is much superior. Windstar has larger cabins, a naturalist on board to help you with tours and wildlife, and the ability to go totally under sail power if the winds are right.

I just hope SD doesn't over price these cruises. Some of us dedicated SD'ers might go, but in the long run to make this work they have to be competitive.

I'm really interested and ready to bite the bullet if the price is right!

With the new CR itineraries out, and most sailing from Caldera, I wonder if SeaDream will have some type of transport from San Juan to/from Caldera?

That was one of my first thoughts when looking at them, plus I wonder how most passengers are going to react to a sea day going up the Pacific coast?

Cost of getting to the ship is going to not be inexpensive either.

SD is now offering 2 night pre/post stays at a hotel, including some meals, and transfers. Assume it means to/from airport and yacht. No pricing mentioned yet. Having a hard time picking a favorite itinerary as it will all be new to us (except the Panama Canal, but would do that again).:D

Looking at the schedule it seems that they are going to keep one yacht in the Caribbean all the time (in season) and let the other go off,, so while II is in Brazil and the Amazon, I will be in the Caribbean, and while I is in Costa Rica II will be in the Caribbean.

Not good for my schedule. I think I need to retire to open more flexibility in my travel dates.

Looking at the schedule it seems that they are going to keep one yacht in the Caribbean all the time (in season) and let the other go off,, so while II is in Brazil and the Amazon, I will be in the Caribbean, and while I is in Costa Rica II will be in the Caribbean.

Not good for my schedule. I think I need to retire to open more flexibility in my travel dates.

That's the spirit, we all need to put cruises before that old mundane making money thing.:eek::D Still trying to figure out just how to do that. :D

When we did Costa Rica on Windstar we spent 2 nights in San Jose on the front end at the Marriott Courtyard and one night post cruise. It was a very nice hotel, the price was reasonable, and there were some good restaurants in the area. We were traveling with another couple and I booked a full day tour of the area before the cruise, transport to Puerto Caldera, return transport back to San Jose with tours to the Butterfly Farm and a Coffee Plantation with a company I found on CC called Coach Costa Rica. I don't remember what it cost but I thought they provided excellent , quality service for the price. I would highly reccomend them. That trip from San Jose to Caldera was about 3 hours when we did it because the roads were TERRIBLE!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing Costa Rica.

Jim,

We're in 212 from 9-23 Nov! I'll keep it clean for you :) And, yes, suspect you can rebook on board -- that's what I plan to do!!

Sailed with the owner last year in Norway and have sailed with his daughters a couple of times. It was only a little disruptive with him on board, but we were doing so much in Norway that I probably didn't notice much. He did have several social events with business people in Oslo, but we were off the ship visiting his glass factory (complimentary, no less!).

Have seen no details on the package in San Jose, but may have to consider it. Airfare to Barbados and from San Jose should be interesting!

Vandrefalk

Jim,

We're in 212 from 9-23 Nov! I'll keep it clean for you :) And, yes, suspect you can rebook on board -- that's what I plan to do!!

Sailed with the owner last year in Norway and have sailed with his daughters a couple of times. It was only a little disruptive with him on board, but we were doing so much in Norway that I probably didn't notice much. He did have several social events with business people in Oslo, but we were off the ship visiting his glass factory (complimentary, no less!).

Have seen no details on the package in San Jose, but may have to consider it. Airfare to Barbados and from San Jose should be interesting!

Vandrefalk

Airfare is tough all over. Hoping for some relief with fuel coming down a bit. We are in 212 next year, Nov 30th 2013. Someone is sure to leave it crummy after you go to all that trouble to be neat.:eek::D

It is definitely not too early to pop the champagne. We just booked this morning for the back-to-back cruises. And our travel agent confirmed with Seadream that we can cancel and rebook when we are onboard in October for a fifty dollar fee. Of course, should the price rise significantly between now and then, the savings might not look as good as they do this morning. But should that happen, we can congratulate ourselves on booking early. There are no losing strategies here.

The only downside is that it is so far in the future! But it certainly will make it easier to leave the yacht on our cruises prior to Costa Rica because we will know for sure when we are returning.

SD is now offering 2 night pre/post stays at a hotel, including some meals, and transfers. Assume it means to/from airport and yacht. No pricing mentioned yet. ).:D

Jim, did you see this somewhere on the website where I'm too dense to see, or is this inside information, which you are so good at obtaining, and we all thank you. Normally we don't use cruise line's transportation or hotels, but I'm thinking about how we're going to get from Caldera to San Jose to fly home. It would be lovely if Seadream would transport us. In Europe we're comfortable jumping into a taxi - not so much in Central America, however.