The pizza man

I spoke to the pizza maker on the Island Princess earlier this week after tasting his pizza (nice crispy thin crust but a bit too cheesy). So it turns out he's from Bari (same city where the maitre d'hotel went to catering school) and as anyone who has been to Italy knows, a pizza maker is a venerated profession. He tells me he gets up every morning to make the dough and is there from 11a to midnight every day, for 6 months. Hard work!

Just wondering if anyone ha talked to the pizza man on other ships?

I talked to him every morning on the Ruby Princess last January. I think I was the only one on the cruise that knew that he makes fresh waffles in the morning, so there was ample opportunity.

Made to order waffles, hmmmm!!!!

I spoke to the pizza maker on the Island Princess earlier this week after tasting his pizza (nice crispy thin crust but a bit too cheesy). So it turns out he's from Bari (same city where the maitre d'hotel went to catering school) and as anyone who has been to Italy knows, a pizza maker is a venerated profession. He tells me he gets up every morning to make the dough and is there from 11a to midnight every day, for 6 months. Hard work!

Was that Nino? I didn't go as often on the Island recently but was surprised to see he was Italian & not the normal international crew of pizza chefs.

Yes, we did:D The stories are so interesting. All the crew works so hard from early morning to late at night with very little "time off."

The pizza was so delicious. I had the white pizza with the four cheeses, etc. I do agree it was very rich but somehow managed to eat two good sized slices.:eek::eek:

Was that Nino? I didn't go as often on the Island recently but was surprised to see he was Italian & not the normal international crew of pizza chefs.

Yes, that was him. My wife was surprised it wasn't some pimply 22 y.o. from Kentucky or Minnesota or the equivalent of some such you'd find at your chain pizzeria.

Also talked to a Pinoy dining room steward on boarding day lunch. They work for 10 months though I think they do get days off at presumably only all serving hands are on deck for dinner service.

The IP has a complement of 515 for food service though I see the pizzaman isn't included. Unique skill is the ice carver (apparently all Pinoy as it's a learnt family trade).

Hi There,

Been to the ships bakery and chatted to the crew there, these guys work very long hours in very hot conditions,

most folks never give it a thought that the bread on the ship is never more than a few hours old,

yours Shogun

I talked to him every morning on the Ruby Princess last January. I think I was the only one on the cruise that knew that he makes fresh waffles in the morning, so there was ample opportunity.

Made to order waffles, hmmmm!!!!

I know! We discovered the waffles (the same ones that they serve in Sabatinis for breakfast) on our last cruise on the Sapphire Princess. We didn't talk much since they seemed to be preparing their kitchen for the lunch crowd.

We made a point of stopping by to say HI to the pizza man on the Emerald every day whether we got pizza or not. His name started with an N- it's eluding me right now- but we called him Mr. Pizza. Such a nice guy, always smiling and a lot of fun. And they do work crazy hard.

Princess has the best pizza of all the lines we've been on, and their pizza makers are all REAL pizza makers. Love it !

I've found the pizzas at Alfredo's Pizzeria on the Sapphire to be even better than the slices on Lido deck and I'm sure it's the same thing on the Grand. I like my pizza hot & sometimes the slices have been there for awhile which isn't an issue at Alfredo's with their freshly baked individual pizzas! :D We each got one for lunch or a snack by sharing a pizza so often that we knew all of the servers well & we thanked them for their great service by tipping them at the end of the cruise.

Dumb question, so you can get waffles at the pizza place? What are the hours? We have never cruised princess, but are going to later in the year. These sound really good!
We were on the Sapphire twice last year. In April the waffles were at Sundaes, the Ice Cream place, while in September they were at Prego Pizzeria. Hours were 6:30 am to 10:30 am. The waffles were a smaller "personal" size and there were several serve yourself toppings typically including syrup, whipped cream and several fruit toppings. Be sure to check the Patter to find the location and time. The times and location were in the second day's Patter for the first morning at sea. Also there are made to order omelettes during the same hours at the Trident Grill. Both are very good breakfast options that keep you away from the Horizon Court.

Dumb question, so you can get waffles at the pizza place? What are the hours? We have never cruised princess, but are going to later in the year. These sound really good!

We were on the Sapphire twice last year. In April the waffles were at Sundaes, the Ice Cream place, while in September they were at Prego Pizzeria. Hours were 6:30 am to 10:30 am. The waffles were a smaller "personal" size and there were several serve yourself toppings typically including syrup, whipped cream and several fruit toppings. Be sure to check the Patter to find the location and time. The times and location were in the second day's Patter for the first morning at sea. Also there are made to order omelettes during the same hours at the Trident Grill. Both are very good breakfast options that keep you away from the Horizon Court.

It seems to vary from ship to ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise but many times they have a waffle station. On the recently refurbished Sapphire in the new dessert station adjacent to the Horizon Court is where they're now making their fresh waffles. I don't know about the Island for waffles but they did have an omelette station in the Horizon Court.

Yes, that was him. My wife was surprised it wasn't some pimply 22 y.o. from Kentucky or Minnesota or the equivalent of some such you'd find at your chain pizzeria.

Also talked to a Pinoy dining room steward on boarding day lunch. They work for 10 months though I think they do get days off at presumably only all serving hands are on deck for dinner service.

The IP has a complement of 515 for food service though I see the pizzaman isn't included. Unique skill is the ice carver (apparently all Pinoy as it's a learnt family trade).

Oh I so love good pizza and having never sailed Princess before I never expected to have authentic Italian Pizza. Oh please, let Nino be there next February!

It seems to vary from ship to ship and sometimes from cruise to cruise but many times they have a waffle station. On the recently refurbished Sapphire in the new dessert station adjacent to the Horizon Court is where they're now making their fresh waffles. I don't know about the Island for waffles but they did have an omelette station in the Horizon Court.
On our September cruise last year on the Sapphire there was an omelette station at the Horizon Court AND at the Trident Grill. On the ships with the revised HC layout they may have the waffle station by the desserts as Astro Flyer mentioned. The take-away is to check the Patters for Embarkation day and the next day. On one of our cruises last year the info for the omlette and waffle stations was in a separate box rather that with the other food venues. Very few people noticed and there were few people there. There probably will be a waffle station and a made to order station somewhere.

On the Coral on our day in Glacier bay we had reindeer sausage pizza and it was excellent! We love thin crust pizza so we were happy campers! Do try it for lunch at least once you will not be disappointed!

Oh I so love good pizza and having never sailed Princess before I never expected to have authentic Italian Pizza. Oh please, let Nino be there next February!

A long time ago, there was an Italian cruise line called Sitmar. Princess bought Sitmar and their chefs came over to Princess. Since that time, all Italian food onboard has had an authentic Italian flair, whether the pizza on deck or the (sadly, no longer made tableside but still excellent) Caesar salad, or the pastas (some of which are often prepared tableside by one of the dining room captains). Oh, and don't forget their homemade lemoncello liquor! Princess is the bomb for good Italian food!!

The take-away is to check the Patters for Embarkation day and the next day. On one of our cruises last year the info for the omlette and waffle stations was in a separate box rather that with the other food venues. Very few people noticed and there were few people there. There probably will be a waffle station and a made to order station somewhere.

I have never seen these mentioned in the Patter (but do not doubt they have been on some ships), but the main thing is to ask about the omlette and waffle stations.

Personnel in the buffet area at breakfast time can tell you where they are located, be it in the buffet area or at another location.

Reading this makes me happy. We sail on the Island in two weeks and I can't wait to get a slice of pizza. No good pizza where I live.

Thats good to know that the info is in the Patter. I didn't think of that. The boards here are very helpful!
You need to look a bit. I have attached pages from the Patters that tell about the Omelettes and Waffles on the Sapphire last year.

2011-04-10 - Sapphire Princess Patter - Page 1.pdf

2011-09-26 - Sapphire Princess Patter - Page 4.pdf

I've found the pizzas at Alfredo's Pizzeria on the Sapphire to be even better than the slices on Lido deck and I'm sure it's the same thing on the Grand. I like my pizza hot & sometimes the slices have been there for awhile which isn't an issue at Alfredo's with their freshly baked individual pizzas! :D We each got one for lunch or a snack by sharing a pizza so often that we knew all of the servers well & we thanked them for their great service by tipping them at the end of the cruise.

OMG...I dream about the pizza from Alfredo's on the Grand. It was so delicious!!! Wish the Ruby had it...would love to have that everyday as we cross the Atlantic!!

Archived