Sunscreen, Name brand or store brand?

gambler

I have been using Neutrogena spray. With 3 sea days and 3 beach days on this cruise, I am looking for some cheaper options. Want to get some color, but not burned.

What are your favorites? Thinking about trying Cvs or Walgreens brands? etc

I have been using Neutrogena spray. With 3 sea days and 3 beach days on this cruise, I am looking for some cheaper options. Want to get some color, but not burned.

I remember seeing on one of those product rating things on TV last summer and TARGET brand won hands down in all categories.

We use Target brand SPF 30. Wouldn't use anything else. It is cheaper and has gotten great reviews. We are cruising in about a month (7/1) and I have started to stock up. We got some the other day at Target, a 3-pack for $13.99. We do use Ocean Potion special face lotion for our face. I think it is about $3 and is a SPF50.

I've used many different brands, including name brands and store brands. They all work fine.

My new fave is the Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch sublock. It doesn't leave you feeling like a greaseball. :p Doesn't leave your skin shiny either.

We use Target brand SPF 30. Wouldn't use anything else. It is cheaper and has gotten great reviews. We are cruising in about a month (7/1) and I have started to stock up. We got some the other day at Target, a 3-pack for $13.99. We do use Ocean Potion special face lotion for our face. I think it is about $3 and is a SPF50.

My daughter is leaving for Haiti Tuesday and last time she burned so badly..The Target brand seems to have good reviews. Is it sunscreen or sunblock? Is it Up and Up? Thanks ahead..:).

My dermatologist says that it doesn't matter the brand, as long as it is at least SPF 15, preferably 30. One thing she did say is that you may want to read the label as far as what you put on your face to curb breakouts. My every day moisturizer has SPF 15, and that's all I've ever needed on my face. On the rest of me, I use whatever is on sale when I'm packing up.

I wouldn't trust last summer's sunscreen. I always buy new, even if I have a bunch left. The sun in the Caribbean is no joke.

being out on the water often Im a fan of Bulldog...

as another poster stated dont forget to pack it.. wife once ran short and had to buy some in port, while it was costly it was apparrantly a knock off as she got burned in a couple hrs !

My daughter is leaving for Haiti Tuesday and last time she burned so badly..The Target brand seems to have good reviews. Is it sunscreen or sunblock? Is it Up and Up? Thanks ahead..:).

We use the Up & Up Sport Sunscreen Continuous Spray SPF 30. My dad is a mailman in FL and is in the sun all day and loves this too.

Just don't forget to pack it. This stuff is very expensive on the ship. This goes for water shoes too. If any of your excursions recommend water shoes buy them before you leave. Walmart sells them for $10 you'll be glad you did. They're $20 on the ship and $40 on your excursion if u need them and don't have them. Also, on some of the beaches your feet will be thanking you too.

We receive Consumer reports and the top rated sunscreen was from Target, believe it or not! Have used several different brands, best results with Bullfrog SPF 30 with insect repellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whatever we can find that doesn't have avobenzone in it. We have a lot of iron in our water and avobenzone permentantly stains our swimsuits and clothing. Mostly we use titanium dioxide/zinc oxide lotion. It works great, but it is thick and white- hard to rub it all in.

Being from FL, sunscreen is a must for my family. I tan and don't burn easy so I use Hawaiian Tanning oil w/spf but the rest of the boys burn ALOT easier, we use NOaD also, last cruise we used and DH never burned.

I would be do a test run also, just to make sure your not allergic, one time I used Bullfrog on the boys at Silver springs and they were itching and broke out by the end of the day, that would suck to break out while cruising.:eek:

Happy Sailing,

Price shouldn't be your main consideration, unless you are staying on the ship. If you plan to enter any of the Caribbean waters though, either a biodegradable or oil free sunscreen is essential for keeping the water clear, and not harming the fish or corals.

Archived