Has the extra furniture arrived on Caribe Deck?

jackieo

Hmmm. Must invent a chair pad that fills with liquid. Can fill it with wine on the way on to the ship, and then fill it with water after wine is consumed, for use as a chair pad. Sounds like there might be a market.;)
Might not be too comfortable as you consume the wine. :) Halfway through and you won't have much padding.

Might not be too comfortable as you consume the wine. :) Halfway through and you won't have much padding.

Well, depending on the amount consumed in one sitting, he might not notice the lack of padding . . .

Honestly, I thought at the time of the original post that that Facebook message was a hoax or just a bad joke. It seemed pretty unlikely Princess would react so quickly. Maybe I'll yet be proved wrong and the new furniture will appear, but I'm feeling very wine-glass-half-empty about it.

I wonder if they've downgraded the furniture on stern BBs on the various decks including Carib?

They already had this awful "furniture" (that's a stretch!) on the CB last month on the Caribe deck in both stern balcony cabins C752 and C753. We spent a lot less time on the balcony because of it. The table is a joke, couldn't even fit my iPad and a soda on it together. The chairs, as Pam said, concrete would be more comfortable. I was glad we were in a suite the second leg of our B2Bs, because at least those still have the nice teak furniture and chair pads with real sized tables. And we wonder why we're booked in an inside for our October cruise. :rolleyes:

Those reclining chairs are awfully hard & cheaply made. About the 3rd day of our cruise, when DH sat down the right side gave way and you could see it was previously repaired/soddered in the same exact spot!

Attention Princess - YOU did not get your money's worth for these chairs!:mad:

My question is....How many chair failures, possibly with injuries, will it take before Princess pays attention and rectifies a very poor decision?

For us, we endured the new furniture on our Star, Caribe balcony, sailing to Hawaii in April We spent far less time on our balcony. This was our fourth Caribe balcony experience and was a disappointment. Unfortunately, we are booked on the Star, this time to Mexico in September and again on Caribe. We should be excited....we aren't. We booked prior to Hawaii and prior to finding out about the replacement furniture. I have some ideas for padding, but I shouldn't have to make adjustments. Yes, we could cancel.....who knows....:(

My question is....How many chair failures, possibly with injuries, will it take before Princess pays attention and rectifies a very poor decision?

For us, we endured the new furniture on our Star, Caribe balcony, sailing to Hawaii in April We spent far less time on our balcony. This was our fourth Caribe balcony experience and was a disappointment. Unfortunately, we are booked on the Star, this time to Mexico in September and again on Caribe. We should be excited....we aren't. We booked prior to Hawaii and prior to finding out about the replacement furniture. I have some ideas for padding, but I shouldn't have to make adjustments. Yes, we could cancel.....who knows....:(

Couldn't agree more. We were also on the Star in April and have had the 28-day RT to Hawaii and the South Pacific for next year booked on her for well over a year. We are/were so looking forward to that cruise, but now not so much. The weather we had in April going to/from Hawaii was not the sit out on the balcony for long periods of time kind, so it wasn't as much of a problem as it will definitely be next year. I love that balcony, BUT it's not with happy thoughts anymore. I sat out there one day, reclining for about ten minutes. I could barely stand straight when I got up.

They already had this awful "furniture" (that's a stretch!) on the CB last month on the Caribe deck in both stern balcony cabins C752 and C753. We spent a lot less time on the balcony because of it. The table is a joke, couldn't even fit my iPad and a soda on it together. The chairs, as Pam said, concrete would be more comfortable. I was glad we were in a suite the second leg of our B2Bs, because at least those still have the nice teak furniture and chair pads with real sized tables. And we wonder why we're booked in an inside for our October cruise. :rolleyes:

This was the setup in the room above on the 4/1 sailing:

2012-04-04221743.jpg

I am so disappointed in this. One of our favorite things to do is spend time on the balcony -- often with a light meal and what used to be a comfortable chair! We're sailing on the CB's Caribe deck in July (two balconies). I really hope that we have safe comfortable chairs. One of our party has neck and back problems, so this would be a major problem....and I, the travel planner of the family:p, would be very unhappy if I can't enjoy a morning coffee on our balcony without sitting on, as Pam in CA commented, a chair as comfortable as concrete!

Just a question: Didn't the buyer actually sit in the chairs before ordering them?

2012-04-04221743.jpg

These are the original chairs and table. Maybe they've had enough complaints they are slowing down the change over. That would be nice. I hope the old furniture is still on the Island in March.

Great - that's all we need is for DH with his bad back, to have a chair give way on him.

There is a support bar under the seat - so the whole chair did not give way - thank goodness! Actually, we were in a corner aft balcony cabin and there were 4 chairs, two were the "new" reclining type and the other two were old style. We could definately see the difference - while neither are that comfortable the old style is better quality, IMHO.

There is a support bar under the seat - so the whole chair did not give way - thank goodness! Actually, we were in a corner aft balcony cabin and there were 4 chairs, two were the "new" reclining type and the other two were old style. We could definately see the difference - while neither are that comfortable the old style is better quality, IMHO.

The old furniture wasn't great to sit on for a long time but a folded towel helped. Apparently I'll have to bring my stadium seating cushions or my inflatable airline seat cushion to make the new style of furniture tolerable. :(

FYI, you might want to resize photos before posting. :) It's really hard to view a huge photo because others have to scroll back and forth to see it unless you have a huge monitor or make your browser fit the entire screen. Just a thought.

FYI;

On the Diamond P, Caribe BB, there was the very uncomfortable 'reclinable' chairs (2), and a small table, not near enough to eat there. Below us was decks with 2 chairs, two footstools, and a larger table. If they were of any comfort, that is what is needed. Strange.

Doug

Honestly, I thought at the time of the original post that that Facebook message was a hoax or just a bad joke. It seemed pretty unlikely Princess would react so quickly. Maybe I'll yet be proved wrong and the new furniture will appear, but I'm feeling very wine-glass-half-empty about it.

I have to agree that I was not convinced this was a genuine posting by Princess. Hope I'm very wrong - I love my Caribe balcony.

FYI;

On the Diamond P, Caribe BB, there was the very uncomfortable 'reclinable' chairs (2), and a small table, not near enough to eat there. Below us was decks with 2 chairs, two footstools, and a larger table. If they were of any comfort, that is what is needed. Strange.

Doug

You were looking down on Dolphin deck...all mini suites. Yes, at a minimum.....their furniture would be an improvement. :(

You were looking down on Dolphin deck...all mini suites. Yes, at a minimum.....their furniture would be an improvement. :(
Maybe that's a new perk for mini-suites: enough chairs for the cabin/balcony. Kind of hard to "escape completely" when you're forced to sit on a hard-as-rock chair on a balcony you've paid for and hope to enjoy.

I have to agree that I was not convinced this was a genuine posting by Princess. Hope I'm very wrong - I love my Caribe balcony.

I do hope you're wrong as well. Still trying to decide if we should change to another deck. I did contact my TA to see if she had any info and am waiting to hear back.

My question is....How many chair failures, possibly with injuries, will it take before Princess pays attention and rectifies a very poor decision?....:(

I think the Brits have the best expression for this type of decision:

PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH

We were on the Grand (Caribe Deck) for the Transatlantic in April - we can confirm that there were only two very hard and uncomfortable chairs - no footstools and only a small table.

As you can see from the photo this NEW furniture is already showing signs that they are poorly made chairs which could cause injury. :eek:

Also there was no plastic matting which made the deck slippery when wet and when furniture was being moved around it was quite noisy.

Thanks for the photo. HOPEFULLY, this new crappy furniture will fall apart quickly and Princess will have to replace it all very soon with nicer stuff-more like what they have had for years on Caribe decks! I sure hope so!

We are just off the Emerald and had a Caribe balcony (BB). Fortunately, the good, old furniture and deck covering were still in place with comfortable recliners, large table, and two straight chairs.

We are intensive balcony users, and the furniture on the larger balcony made for a great experience. How pathetic that Princess customers are now forced to monitor the latest furniture status on each ship! And, of course, there is no guarantee that said status will remain between booking and sailing.

For the life of me, I just do not understand why companies waste revenue to needlessly aggravate satisfied, loyal customers.

I do hope you're wrong as well. Still trying to decide if we should change to another deck. I did contact my TA to see if she had any info and am waiting to hear back.

I don't think it matters what deck you're on. They're all getting the new crappy furniture eventually. I like fully covered balconies, so I don't get a Caribe balcony but I'm just as concerned about the furniture. This is really a topic about all balconies. I spend a lot of time on my balcony and it's one of the highlights of my cruise. Hard as a rock balcony furniture and hard as a rock mattresses aren't that appealing. I don't understand what the people who make furniture decisions at Princess are thinking. Purposely making these cabins as uncomfortable as possible isn't the key to making people happy. It just sounds like they buy the cheapest they can get and think they've done a good job. I can definitely find more comfortable balcony furniture and beds on another cruise line. I love Princess, but they keep making it harder every day.

Maybe that's a new perk for mini-suites: enough chairs for the cabin/balcony.

Unfortunately, no. The balcony comes equipped with two chairs/ottomans, even if you have booked it as a triple or a quad. We had to beg for a third chair, which our cabin steward assured us could not be had. But then, a day and a half later, he was able to get one (an "old" chair that did not match, but who cares). But it was quite clear that he went out of his way to get us something that one would have thought should have been supplied as a matter of course.

Unfortunately, no. The balcony comes equipped with two chairs/ottomans, even if you have booked it as a triple or a quad. We had to beg for a third chair, which our cabin steward assured us could not be had. But then, a day and a half later, he was able to get one (an "old" chair that did not match, but who cares). But it was quite clear that he went out of his way to get us something that one would have thought should have been supplied as a matter of course.

Maybe he only wanted to make you think he went out of his way to get an extra chair so he would get a more generous tip for special services. :p

We are just off the Emerald and had a Caribe balcony (BB). Fortunately, the good, old furniture and deck covering were still in place with comfortable recliners, large table, and two straight chairs.

We are intensive balcony users, and the furniture on the larger balcony made for a great experience. How pathetic that Princess customers are now forced to monitor the latest furniture status on each ship! And, of course, there is no guarantee that said status will remain between booking and sailing.

For the life of me, I just do not understand why companies waste revenue to needlessly aggravate satisfied, loyal customers.

I wonder what will happen when the Emerald goes into dry dock in Dec? I do hope they don't put those uncomfortable chairs and that tiny table on the Caribe balconies.

Archived