Coffee Card

Runners

We sailed on the Grand Princess 3 years ago. I purchased the Coffee Card, “Ace of Latte”. The card was punched I time. We are sailing Princess this summer. Anyone have any idea if this coffee card is still valid and would be accepted?

Lots of threads on this....but, yes, accepted for specialty coffees and will be punched...not accepted for free fresh brewed

This is a little misleading. The card will be accepted for free fresh brewed coffee, but will be punched just like a specialty coffee. So yes, you do get free fresh brewed coffee, but you are limited to the number of punches you have left. If you have 14 punches left, then you can get 14 coffee drinks including brewed coffee in any combination, such as 10 fresh brewed and 4 specialties, or 7 of each, or 14 fresh brewed and no specialties.

This is a little misleading. The card will be accepted for free fresh brewed coffee, but will be punched just like a specialty coffee. So yes, you do get free fresh brewed coffee, but you are limited to the number of punches you have left. If you have 14 punches left, then you can get 14 coffee drinks including brewed coffee in any combination, such as 10 fresh brewed and 4 specialties, or 7 of each, or 14 fresh brewed and no specialties.

Yes.....I should have been more precise in my reply. Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you chrysalis and JimmyVWine, I was hoping the card was still good. When I purchased the coffee card I only used it to get the fresh brewed coffee. Looks like their policy has changed, but at least the card is still good!

Princess changed thier policy around the first of the year. Before that you could continue to use a card for brewed coffee as long as you had at least one punch left on it. I don't think they thought of that when they started selling the cards.

Just got off the Diamond 35 day cruise. We embarked with eight of the older coffee cards, all unpunched (took advantage of last year's BOGO offer). We still have four old style cards left, just enough for our next cruise!

Our experience varied. At the Lobby Bar they insisting on exchanging an old card for one of the new style. If the old card had punches they'd punch an equivalent amount in the new one. Sometimes they would write the name of the ship and sailing date on the back, sometimes they didn't.

At the Calypso Bar they simply honored the old style card as if it was a current one. One punch for specialty coffees and no punch for brewed. I think the staff at the Calypso had not been adequately briefed on the procedure or maybe they just liked us.

Just got off the Diamond 35 day cruise. We embarked with eight of the older coffee cards, all unpunched (took advantage of last year's BOGO offer). We still have four old style cards left, just enough for our next cruise!

Our experience varied. At the Lobby Bar they insisting on exchanging an old card for one of the new style. If the old card had punches they'd punch an equivalent amount in the new one. Sometimes they would write the name of the ship and sailing date on the back, sometimes they didn't.

At the Calypso Bar they simply honored the old style card as if it was a current one. One punch for specialty coffees and no punch for brewed. I think the staff at the Calypso had not been adequately briefed on the procedure or maybe they just liked us.

Also on this cruise and yes, lobby bar wanted to exchange my old one. Wouldn't let them, since I can still use the old one on any ship until punches run out. Once they put name of ship on new card you're "dead in the water." I did exchange one totally unused card for new one, but they didn't put ship name/date on it.

I did exchange one totally unused card for new one, but they didn't put ship name/date on it.

I realize that enforcement varies but I've read that sometimes when exchanging a complete old card for a new one they get the free brewed coffee on that cruise without using a punch like with an old card...what was your experience?

Are you saying that a new card with the ship's name on it that has remainng punches won't be valid on another cruise for specialty drinks or to use a punch for brewed coffee? I have a new card with Sapphire on it that still has punches but used an older card recently on the Island. However based on other posts, I thought my remaining punches from the new style Sapphire card were valid in the future for specialty coffee drinks?

I realize that enforcement varies but I've read that sometimes when exchanging a complete old card for a new one they get the free brewed coffee on that cruise without using a punch like with an old card...what was your experience?

Yes, unlimited fresh brewed and hot chocolate. They never handled the card once they gave it to me. We keep it in a Princess luggage tag and just wave it. It's Mike's. I don't drink either.

You also said that a new card with the ship's name on it that the punches won't be valid on another cruise for specialty drinks or to use a punch for brewed coffee. I have a new card with Sapphire on it that still has punches but used an older card recently on the Island. However based on other posts, I thought my punches from the new style Sapphire card were valid in the future for specialty coffee drinks?

I really don't know how they are going to handle the new cards which are ship specific. All cards look the same; for now. What will happen when you present a Sapphire card on a Coral ship........... who knows. The older card will be good until all punches are used.

I really don't know how they are going to handle the new cards which are ship specific. All cards look the same; for now. What will happen when you present a Sapphire card on a Coral ship........... who knows. The older card will be good until all punches are used.

That's true & guess we goofed by using our older card before our newer card for punches. Next time I'll use the newer card 1st to see if it'll be accepted...sure hope so! ;)

The punches on the newer card are good for future voyages. The "free" fresh bewed is only good on the new card on the voyage it was purchased on.

[/color][/b]

And they differentiate.......... how? ;)

They are supposed to put the ship name and voyage number on the new type card.

On any other voyage on that ship or on any other ship, the punches can be used, but not the unlimited free fresh brewed.

They are supposed to put the ship name and voyage number on the new type card.

On any other voyage on that ship or on any other ship, the punches can be used, but not the unlimited free fresh brewed.

Bill, once the card goes into the luggage tag holder it never comes out again. DH drinks nothing but fresh brewed or hot chocolate.

Bill, once the card goes into the luggage tag holder it never comes out again.

...until someone insists on being handed the card. Like all policies, the policy itself is only as good as the enforcement. Sounds like you have been lucky in finding crew members who aren't checking. But I think that the procedure that Bill laid out is the "official" policy. The ship and voyage number are supposed to be confirmed. I suspect that some people may get lucky and others, not so much. But the important thing to remember is that one should not complain or raise a stink if the official policy is adhered to. Rather, one should simply smile if it is not.

Archived