Ship in port at 8 AM, what time can we expect to be off the ship?

kitcrazy

Sailing on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier and will be in Juneau AK on July 24. Itinerary says that we will be in port from 8 AM to 9 PM. What time can I reasonably expect to be off the ship in the morning? 8 AM? 8:30 AM? I ask because we need to make a flight booking for that morning with Ward Air -- I want to get started ASAP that day, but I also want to make sure that we can make it to their office at least 30 minutes before departure.

Sailing on the Diamond Princess from Vancouver to Whittier and will be in Juneau AK on July 24. Itinerary says that we will be in port from 8 AM to 9 PM. What time can I reasonably expect to be off the ship in the morning? 8 AM? 8:30 AM? I ask because we need to make a flight booking for that morning with Ward Air -- I want to get started ASAP that day, but I also want to make sure that we can make it to their office at least 30 minutes before departure.

No later than 10 minutes after arrival.

Not sure about Princess, but on NCL they are usually docked and ready for disembarkment by the posted time - so when they say arrival at 8:00 they mean they will be tied up and ready by then.

I usually watch the web cams of the various ports (or even the bridge cam if available) a few weeks before my cruise and noting the times of arrival.

Here is a web cam for Juneau- http://www.juneau.org/cam/southcam.php

Thanks for the webcam link bonvoyagie. How often are the views updated, do you know?

zqvol, seriously, 10 minutes max? The airline operators are suggesting that I should give myself 90 minutes! We want to come back and do other things in Juneau in the afternoon which is why I am pushing for an early departure in the morning. But I want to be realistic as well.

I also need to build in time to catch a taxi from the pier to the seaplane dock. Anyone know how long that will take?

Thanks for the webcam link bonvoyagie. How often are the views updated, do you know?

zqvol, seriously, 10 minutes max? The airline operators are suggesting that I should give myself 90 minutes! We want to come back and do other things in Juneau in the afternoon which is why I am pushing for an early departure in the morning. But I want to be realistic as well.

I also need to build in time to catch a taxi from the pier to the seaplane dock. Anyone know how long that will take?

That is my experience both in Alaska, the Caribbean, and the Med. As long as the ship docks and doesn't tender getting off is not an issue. Alaska is easy because they don't have to clear customs or immigration at each port.

What does Ward Air recommend??? They are the only ones to ask this question.

What does Ward Air recommend??? They are the only ones to ask this question.

Yeah, Ward Air are the people who say I should plan on giving myself 90-120 minutes ... they want me to schedule my flight for 10 AM. Methinks they are being OVERLY conservative. Even if it takes me 30 minutes to get off the ship, another 15 mins to catch a taxi and get to the seaplane dock, and then another 15 mins for pre-flight briefing, that's still only 60 minutes. Two hours just seems like it way too cautious.

Yeah, Ward Air are the people who say I should plan on giving myself 90-120 minutes ... they want me to schedule my flight for 10 AM. Methinks they are being OVERLY conservative. Even if it takes me 30 minutes to get off the ship, another 15 mins to catch a taxi and get to the seaplane dock, and then another 15 mins for pre-flight briefing, that's still only 60 minutes. Two hours just seems like it way too cautious.

You can ignore their advice. They only do it day in and day out, for a living.....:rolleyes:

So you are only interested in a "post" that will support your idea and are choosing to ignore what the vendor recommends? With this thinking, then just go ahead and book what you want?

You can ignore their advice. They only do it day in and day out, for a living.....:rolleyes:

Wow, nasty!!

It's perhaps notable that three other vendors who also provide charter service in Juneau have given me suggested times that range from 45 mins-75 mins. I guess they only do it day in and day out for a living as well :p.

Budget Queen, it's not a matter of being "only interested in a 'post' that will support my idea". I've received conflicting information and I came to the Board because I thought that people here might have first-hand experience they could share with me (in a pleasant manner). Clearly, even here there seems to be no consensus as the replies range from 10 mins-45 mins.

Anyway, I just came here to get some alternate perspectives which I have now received. Not sure why (since I didn't think this topic was that controversial ;)) but I seem to have inadvertently ruffled a couple of feathers; however, I certainly have no desire to engage in an argument. I see that both of you are long-time contributors to this forum, so thanks for sharing your perspectives as well.

I see that both of you are long-time contributors to this forum, so thanks for sharing your perspectives as well.

How many of your 2000 ship mates will also be jockeying to get off the ship first thing? No one = quick, several wheel chairs/strollers = can be slow

We were on the Diamond Princess a couple of summers ago and we had a similar concern in Juneau as we had booked an excursion with Adventure Bound to cruise in Tracy Arm Fjord. We needed to get to their offices by no later than 8:40 a.m. as the tour left at 9 a.m. and they do not wait for you. After talking with them and based on our past experiences getting of the ships in Juneau we opted to book it and hope we would make it.

We were up and ready to walk off the ship by 7:30 a.m. The all clear for debarkation was actually called right at 8 a.m. and we walked off the ship with a small group of fellow passengers with early plans. We hightailed it over to the Adventure Bound offices which is a bit of a hike and were there and checking in by 8:30 a.m. They had advised us in advance that in their experience we would likely make it with time to spare and they are also a local vendor with years of experience who cater to lots of cruise ship customers.

So that is my real life experience on the same ship and itinerary. I hope that helps you. And on a side note, I really don't understand either why some posters need to be so snarky in their responses. It seems to be more prevalent on this board than some others I frequent on CC. Your question was very reasonable and really didn't merit some of the attitude thrown your way. You will love the Diamond Princess - Have a great cruise!!

So that is my real life experience on the same ship and itinerary. I hope that helps you.

Gosh, I wish I could write as well as you.:)

Wth the change of computers I have lost your email address...someday when you have a moment please send me an email.

How many of your 2000 ship mates will also be jockeying to get off the ship first thing? No one = quick, several wheel chairs/strollers = can be slow

Good point ... but of course, I have no idea as to the answer! karatemom2 has given me some specific information though, so I'm feeling a little more confident about making my decision. I'm also leaning towards one of the other charter seaplane companies now as well.

We were on the Diamond Princess a couple of summers ago and we had a similar concern in Juneau as we had booked an excursion with Adventure Bound to cruise in Tracy Arm Fjord. We needed to get to their offices by no later than 8:40 a.m. as the tour left at 9 a.m. and they do not wait for you. After talking with them and based on our past experiences getting of the ships in Juneau we opted to book it and hope we would make it.

We were up and ready to walk off the ship by 7:30 a.m. The all clear for debarkation was actually called right at 8 a.m. and we walked off the ship with a small group of fellow passengers with early plans. We hightailed it over to the Adventure Bound offices which is a bit of a hike and were there and checking in by 8:30 a.m. They had advised us in advance that in their experience we would likely make it with time to spare and they are also a local vendor with years of experience who cater to lots of cruise ship customers.

So that is my real life experience on the same ship and itinerary. I hope that helps you. And on a side note, I really don't understand either why some posters need to be so snarky in their responses. It seems to be more prevalent on this board than some others I frequent on CC. Your question was very reasonable and really didn't merit some of the attitude thrown your way. You will love the Diamond Princess - Have a great cruise!!

Thanks so much for your detailed answer ... it has really helped in making my decision! And thanks also for your kind words -- I was little taken aback by a couple of the initial responses, but I've bounced back just fine :D.

I am really looking forward to this cruise and the Diamond Princess. We don't cruise that much, but Alaska has been on our list for a while, so excited to finally be going there. I see that you are quite the experienced cruiser though!

• 11 months later...

Sorry, I meant to update this thread last summer right after we took our cruise .... but since Alaska season is upon us again, I thought other cruisers might benefit from our experience.

In a nutshell, no problem!! We were off the ship at about 8:10 AM (you were right zqvol!) There were about 100 people waiting to get off the ship at 8 AM but since we got into line at about 7:50 AM we were in the first half. Nice orderly exit from the ship, wheelchairs and limited mobility folks were disembarking from another exit. It really was not a big deal at all!

Archived