Weight limits on HAL excursions

Jersey42

I was just reviewing the Veendam Bermuda shore excursions, and I noticed that many of them have weight limits. The limit is stated in the brief description of the tour. When you click on the "more details" link, sometimes it does not mention a weight restriction, others times it says the same thing as in the brief description, other times it says you must book two excursions if you are overweight, and with others it gives a weight limit that is different from the one in the brief description. If you try to book any tour with a weight restriction in the brief description, it asks for your weight. If the weight you entered exceeds the weight in the brief description, it will not let you book the tour.

Is this normal with HAL? I have never seen this on other lines except under special circumstances like helicopter tours. What is the purpose of the restrictions for some of these tours? Most bus tours and the walking tour of Hamilton have weight restrictions. The golf tours do not.

I could see why there may be a weight restriction on a bus tour. At a certain size two seats may be needed. But I can't imagine why there would be a limit for a walking tour??

I have also seen them for the parasailing at HMC. :) Perhaps on the walking tour they are worried about a health issue?:confused: maybe there are many stairs or something?

My guess, for a bus tour, would be the size of the seat and consideration for the person next to you. My husband is a frequent flyer and on several occasions he's been unable to sit comfortably in the seat he paid for because the person next to him was so large he was literally taking up half my husband's seat. On those trips, he spends the majority of the flight standing rather than be crowded out and half sat on. That's not right since he paid for his seat. JMO but if a person is going to take up 1 1/2 seats, then they should pay for both of them.

The problem I have with weight limits when extra seats are required is that there is no consideration for height. Someone who 6' and 200 lbs doesn't take up as much seat room as someone who is 5'2" and 200 lbs.

I've seen weight limits for zip lines (250 in Hawaii and 260 in Costa Rica) and the aerial tram in CR (390). Some of these weight limits have to do with the equipment ability/functionality. And safety, of course.

The problem I have with weight limits when extra seats are required is that there is no consideration for height. Someone who 6' and 200 lbs doesn't take up as much seat room as someone who is 5'2" and 200 lbs.

what a very good point:)

I've seen the need for this first hand. On an excursion in Cartagena in March (Celebrity), one of the passengers on the bus was very upset because the guy next to him weighed at least 350, making it impossible for the irate passenger to sit in the seat next to him. At the first stop, he took someone else's seat, causing a lot of harsh words and hard feelings. The person who had the seat next to the fat guy had to stand in the aisle for the rest of the bus part of the excursion. It was not a pretty scene.

I've seen the need for this first hand. On an excursion in Cartagena in March (Celebrity), one of the passengers on the bus was very upset because the guy next to him weighed at least 350, making it impossible for the irate passenger to sit in the seat next to him. At the first stop, he took someone else's seat, causing a lot of harsh words and hard feelings. The person who had the seat next to the fat guy had to stand in the aisle for the rest of the bus part of the excursion. It was not a pretty scene.

How unfortunate for all involved!

It sounds strange to have a weight limit for a walking tour. Weight does not alone determine fitness. It there a creeky bridge in Hamilton one has to cross?

And weight alone is not going to determine the "seat real estate" one's otherside occupies.

I totally agree with the airlines that require a person to purchase enough seat space to safely fit them. If one cannot fit in a coach seat, buy first class or a second coach seat.

I wonder if anyone complained to the shore excursion people?

Sad situation for a lot of people.

Was there a tour leader? Did anyone go to the tour leader and demand that the fat guy be kicked off the bus? I would have.

DON

Was there a tour leader? Did anyone go to the tour leader and demand that the fat guy be kicked off the bus? I would have.

DON

What right do they have to kick the fat guy off the bus? He paid for the excursion. If they asked the weight and he lied THEN they MIGHT have a leg to stand on, but to kick someone off the bus for being too fat is a bit ridiculous. You can't strand a paying customer somewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry all, but you've all forgotten one important fact for the shore excursions.

That one fact is that HAL (and all other Cruise Lines) contracts out these excursions and it is not HAL setting the weight limits. It is in fact the Contracted Tour Company who sets the limits.

I can understand the weight limit necessity for an excursion operator on a walking tour. They have to have insurance and depending on the policy they might have to limit the weight for any one person (height not withstanding) because their insurance demands it.

Last September my dear friend booked an excursion while on the ship (in Alaska). There was no weight limit listed. When she got off the ship the tour operator refused to allow her boarding onto the bus to get to the excursion because she exceeded the weight limit of their insurance coverage. She was definitely upset and hurt. The Shore Excursion personnel did their best to get her on the tour but when the tour operator showed him the insurance policy, they refunded my friends money and apologized profusely.

HAL's hands are tied.....

Joanie

What right do they have to kick the fat guy off the bus? He paid for the excursion. If they asked the weight and he lied THEN they MIGHT have a leg to stand on, but to kick someone off the bus for being too fat is a bit ridiculous. You can't strand a paying customer somewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Especially in Catagena.

When I looked for excursions in Grand Turk there was not only weight limits but age limits also. Told DH that he wasn't eligible for a Segway tour. It was surprising that we did segway last year in Chicago without a problem although all had to sign waivers regardless if one were a fit and trim 25 y/o or on the other side of 60.

Sorry all, but you've all forgotten one important fact for the shore excursions.

That one fact is that HAL (and all other Cruise Lines) contracts out these excursions and it is not HAL setting the weight limits. It is in fact the Contracted Tour Company who sets the limits.

I can understand the weight limit necessity for an excursion operator on a walking tour. They have to have insurance and depending on the policy they might have to limit the weight for any one person (height not withstanding) because their insurance demands it.

Last September my dear friend booked an excursion while on the ship (in Alaska). There was no weight limit listed. When she got off the ship the tour operator refused to allow her boarding onto the bus to get to the excursion because she exceeded the weight limit of their insurance coverage. She was definitely upset and hurt. The Shore Excursion personnel did their best to get her on the tour but when the tour operator showed him the insurance policy, they refunded my friends money and apologized profusely.

Joanie

I don't see how it really matters to those involved who is setting the rules. I would imagine that your friend wasn't any less embarrassed or unhappy because it wasn't HAL's policy.

If HAL is offering a tour with a operator whose tour has a weight limit it's in HAL's best interest to know those details and provide that information to their passengers.

DON

The Rep from HAL should have been the person offering to stand.

The weight limit restrictions I have seen posted are new to the "more active" excursions. Now you can't snorkel on an excursion if you are heavier than a certain weight!:eek:

I really doubt it has as much to do with seating as it does with liability issues and insurance requirements.

Don't get me wrong, I think the weight limits are wrong, they are going to tell a person their ability level based on a number???

A 6 foot 4 man who weighs 270 is treated like a 5 foot 2 woman who weighs the same??? Makes no sense to me, but I am sure the insurance heads are quite happy! :rolleyes: :eek:

Joanie

Joanie -- which tour was this in Alaska?

The restrictions I have a problem with are restrictions against diabetics on Catamatan tours. I understand they will be away from "help". Other tours of similar nature do not have this restriction. Most diabetics have emergency suppies with them all the time. If I a) sign a waiver; b) show my diabetic supplies and c) if necessay provide a doctors statement, I wish I could be allowed to participate.

Joanie -- which tour was this in Alaska?

If I remember correctly Yonnie it was a catamaran to some fjords out of Juneau (but not positive).

It did work out in the end for her as she decided to spend the money on herself in the spa and loved that:)

Joanie

Archived