Did you cruiseship cabin have a fan which creates white noise?

librarygal

When I travel across America staying at hotels and motels one of my best friend is the fan connected with the heating/air conditioning unit. Ideally the fan stays on constantly and has three levels of volume. That way I can drown out hallway and traffic noise.

On my last cruise I was shocked to find out there was no fan setting in the heating and airconditioning unit. There was a super quiet airconditioning but no fan sound to drown out the endless door slamming, loud neighbors, and people talking out in the hall 24/7. And unlike traveling cross country by car and staying at hotels, there was no access to a Walmart to buy a fan once I got on the ship.

So... do any cruiseships offer a fan with multiple settings to creat "white noise" and drown out all the noise that occurs on a cruiseship?

** Don't tell me to bring a white noise machine next time, it is too late, I am already home!

So... do any cruiseships offer a fan with multiple settings to creat "white noise" and drown out all the noise that occurs on a cruiseship?

** Don't tell me to bring a white noise machine next time, it is too late, I am already home!

Then I am confused. Why are you asking?

I have never seen a cruise ship provided fan.

I have only been on 2 cruises, but neither of them had fans in the room.

I have seen mention on the boards here of a White Noise app for cell phones. I have no idea if the apps are any good or not, but if you have a smart phone you might look into it for your next trip.

I am not talking about a stand alone fan but a fan setting within the airconditioning/heating unit that will create a soothing white noise of air that will drown out the noise. Just like the fans inside the heat/airconditioning units in motels and hotels.

Uh huh, and the cruiselines put those types of fans/ air conditioners in and everyone would complain how loud they are! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's just the older hotels/ motels that have this type of air conditioner. The newer hotels have an upgrated system.

I think most cruise ships now have a somehwta sophisticated whole-ship HVAC system. Seems they try to keep room temperature constant given your setting on the thermostat but as you found out, can't control fan speed (I imagine this could cause an imbalance in air pressure). Was on a mid level and mid ship deck on the Island Princess and the noise was enough to drown out most noise. The crowd on my deck/ship was fortunately quiet. Couldn't really hear anyone in adjacent cabins (and they were occupied) or from above (or the restaurant below).

Most newer hotels with individual HVAC units still have a fairly noisy fan.

I've never seen a ceiling fan in our cabins on any ship/cruise line.

Only time I saw a ceiling fan in any hotel room in which we stayed was years ago in a Lanai room in the Caribbean....... the patio outside our room was steps from the beach.

No, there are no adjustments allowed to increase the "fan" noise in the cabins on any ship. I think what you're referring to are those hotel air conditioning units that are usually near a window, where you can just turn on a "fan" inside the unit that makes noise. Cruise ships do not have that kind of unit in their cabins, so no, you cannot adjust the air conditioning/heating in any cruise ship cabin that will just have a fan noise.

I have the same problem, and more and more hotels are doing away with the fan on the heater/air unit. I recently downloaded an AP for my ipad called Whitenoise that works great! Sounds just like a fan, constant steady hum without hearing where it loops, loud enough to drown out all the other noises, and plays all night until I turn it off. They also make an AP for Android and Blackberry. It's so much easier than lugging a fan around!

http://www.tmsoft.com/iphone-whitenoise.html

I have the same problem, and more and more hotels are doing away with the fan on the heater/air unit. I recently downloaded an AP for my ipad called Whitenoise that works great! Sounds just like a fan, constant steady hum without hearing where it loops, loud enough to drown out all the other noises, and plays all night until I turn it off. They also make an AP for Android and Blackberry. It's so much easier than lugging a fan around!

http://www.tmsoft.com/iphone-whitenoise.html

That's what I was going to recommend. I use the one for the android, it has multiple "sounds" including a fan, generic white noise, waves etc.

Never ever seen this on a cruiseship, nor do I think it is necessary. We've truly never been troubled by noise in the hallway. If the other passengers are too loud in the hallway you may want to consider another cruiseline!

You've started a number of threads about issues you have with cruising. People make noise on ships, like shutting doors. On guided tours the guide will provide information you apparently don't want and you're expected to stay with the group. Yes, you are expected to tip the servers even if you don't eat in the MDR, but at the buffet instead. Have you considered that cruising may not be the best vacation for your needs? Ships don't have fans for the white noise you require.

I have never seen a fan in a cabin. We are not bothered by hall noises, except for the occasional door slamming we never hear a thing. If you did a little a looking you might find a small computer fan that you could bring along on your next cruise that might fill the bill.

Uh huh, and the cruiselines put those types of fans/ air conditioners in and everyone would complain how loud they are! :rolleyes:

Exactly. Some of those fans are so noisy it's difficult to sleep.

I'm pretty sure it's just the older hotels/ motels that have this type of air conditioner. The newer hotels have an upgrated system.

Unfortunately you'd think this was the case, but even in newer hotels (and not just budget places, either) some still use the old wall mounted units.

We used to drag around a fan too but there are tracks of white noise on iTunes that you can repeat - our "playlist" is repeated white noise for 12 hours! Just pack small speakers to totally worth the small investment. You can even pick different types of white noise and then the benefit of choosing volume too!

Archived