What a rude customer service department!!!

I am getting ready for an Alaskan cruise that I have saved up for.

I am going directly thru HAL, and don't have a TA.

I have called a few times, nothing excessive, to get clarification on different issues.

EACH time, I am treated rudely. There is no attempt to make me feel that I am a valued customer. There really was no pleasantness to the CS person's voices.

Today, when I asked for the person's name...since they didn't offer it to me, I was hung up on!!

I am sure HAL does a huge booming business with it's Alaska product, but they need to firm up some CS skills, or people like me, will post my displeasure with the company online.

I hope things onboard are handled a bit more professionally...

I am getting ready for an Alaskan cruise that I have saved up for.

I am going directly thru HAL, and don't have a TA.

I have called a few times, nothing excessive, to get clarification on different issues.

EACH time, I am treated rudely. There is no attempt to make me feel that I am a valued customer. There really was no pleasantness to the CS person's voices.

Today, when I asked for the person's name...since they didn't offer it to me, I was hung up on!!

I am sure HAL does a huge booming business with it's Alaska product, but they need to firm up some CS skills, or people like me, will post my displeasure with the company online.

I hope things onboard are handled a bit more professionally...

Don't try emailing them, as you will just get stock standard answers.

Holland America don't place much emphasis on providing good customer relations.

What they don't realise is that this reflects badly on their companies reputation and doesn't ensure customers will want to book with them again.

:( I'm sorry you feel you've been treated badly. It's disappointing when you spend so much money and are so excited for your cruise. We've had the opposite experience. We actually booked our Alaskan cruise with HAL (1st HAL cruise) through one of those huge online websites. I've contacted HAL directly several times with questions and a booking issue and they've always been polite and resolved the issue quickly for me.

I need to agree with NoobCruise.

I am surprised that you’ve been treated rudely. I have always been treated with courtesy and my questions answered to the best ability of the service agent with whom I have been speaking.

HAL is a big company and perhaps you just hit a few people on their bad days.

Scott

I have only had to call them a couple of times but have had no problems luckily. Many have complained about them though-obviously you hit the nerve when you asked for their name....I'd be phoning asking for a supervisor and tell them what happened. Guess they figure they already have your money why be nice?:eek:

I assume you aren't dealing with a Personal Cruise Consultant for your trip as I have found him to be fantastic.

I researched online for quite a few weeks and eventually I decided to download a brochure and it asked for my name and address and I gave it to them. Not thinking at the moment, I didn't realize that the next day I was to get a call -- which I HATE telemarketers.

The HAL rep called me at least 2 or 3 times a week for a month or so (I didn't answer but let it go to voicemail). Mostly just introducing themselves and they also sent a couple of signed letters.

One day I decided to answer the phone because I just happened to viewing the site and I had some questions. I asked tons of questions and because of how professional and courteous the rep was, I booked right then and there. So, I guess persistence paid off.

When you call in to ask questions you get any old yahoo, since they work on commission, if they can't convert you to theirs (by getting your name and phone number) then by all means you are just wasting their time. It's a business after all and when one works on commission there time is valuable. It's not the social service hotline.

So, if you haven't given your name and been assigned a Personal Cruise Consultant then you should. I'd suggest filling it out online or just call and ask for one? Maybe ask for someone that is experienced in the types of things you're looking for.

When you call in to ask questions you get any old yahoo, since they work on commission, if they can't convert you to theirs (by getting your name and phone number) then by all means you are just wasting their time. It's a business after all and when one works on commission there time is valuable. It's not the social service hotline.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the portion that I bolded ... you don't get any old yahoo (huh?) when you phone HAL, you are connected with a reservations/customer service person, and there are many of them, but I never have spoken with a yahoo. Well, and they don't work on commission either.

Well, and they don't work on commission either.

I guess what I was trying to say (but didn't very clearly), was that when you just call in to the 800 line, you get anyone that answers as opposed to a rep that has been assigned to you.

BTW, yes, they do work on commission. I have inside information and know this for a fact.

OP I'm sorry you haven't had pleasant experiences when you have called HAL.

I booked with them directly through their website and have only called once since then. The gentleman I spoke with offered his name when he answered. He asked where I was calling from. When I said Arizona, we had a conversation about the weather here vs Seattle, and he related a story about our heat when he visited once. Then we got down to business. The price for my cabin is now lower than when I booked, and he happily lowered my fare to that amount. He also volunteered that he thinks it may drop again so I should continue to keep and eye out. He was also able to get me confirmed for early fixed dining as I had been on the waiting list. Now that I'm typing this I may log onto their site and send a note about my experience and now nice he was to me.

I hope, if you have to call again, you get someone like the gentleman I spoke with. He was wonderful.

I have only had to call them a couple of times but have had no problems luckily. Many have complained about them though-obviously you hit the nerve when you asked for their name....I'd be phoning asking for a supervisor and tell them what happened. Guess they figure they already have your money why be nice?:eek:

I assume you aren't dealing with a Personal Cruise Consultant for your trip as I have found him to be fantastic.

I have been called or e-mailed by Holland America and beeing a 3 star cruiser felt this was ok with me. The agent was nothing but forth right and asked if I had a travel agent and that I should use them. I nwhich I did, I feel that says a lot about Holland America and it's comitment with TA's, Have booked a 28 day cruise thanks his call.:)

we have had bad experiences with their customer service as well. Including the original booking, we have talked to them 4 times...once we got an awesome woman who was incredibly helpful...the other three times we apparently interrupted their day and they were very rude. They don't seem to realize that since no one in our party has cruised with HAL, this is our first impression of them. I am really looking forward to our trip though, as almost all reviews of onboard staff are good.

I have called a few times and they were very helpfull to me. And I always have a nice conversation with them and most times on any cruise line most of them have never cruises so that is why you need to book with a TA all the time. But they are reading from a book to give you a answer. Better to post your question on the c.c. board then call them

When I contact HAL it is always the UK office. They are always friendly and very pleasant.

HOWEVER, the problem is they don't always know much about HAL, their cruises or their ships :eek:. I don't think the UK staff get enough training and I don't think many of them have actually been on a HAL ship (HAL is not a very well known company in UK)

This is not their fault but the fault of the company and their staff training policies.

Curious about the refusal to provide their name. I cannot recall a single time that I have called HAL when a perosn did not pick up the phone and say, "Hello, thank you for calling Holland America. My name is [name]. How may I help you?

It's been awhile since we had to call HAL Ship Services.

But when we did have a couple of questions or needed to order something -- we have never had a problem.

Our biggest problem was when we had several problems on a cruise and wrote a letter -- it was over 10 weeks before we got a reply.

When I contact HAL it is always the UK office. They are always friendly and very pleasant.

HOWEVER, the problem is they don't always know much about HAL, their cruises or their ships :eek:. I don't think the UK staff get enough training and I don't think many of them have actually been on a HAL ship (HAL is not a very well known company in UK)

This is not their fault but the fault of the company and their staff training policies.

Do you think that many of these problems is because so many people from Seabourne are now working in HAL offices and quite a few people have been moved from various office positions to other positions?

Do you think that many of these problems is because so many people from Seabourne are now working in HAL offices and quite a few people have been moved from various office positions to other positions?

I don't know the cause of the problem but I have spoken to a couple of people and they do not even know the difference between the Ryndam and the Noordam.

Even a supervisor was talking about SY Superior Suites on the Ryndam and that they had access to Neptune Lounge :(

I pointed out that the Ryndam did not have SY category and even if they did they would not have access to the Concierge Lounge. She argued with me for several minutes until I finally persuaded here that she was incorrect. I said ok, book me an SY Superior Suite and confirm in writing that I can use the Neptune Lounge ;)

This situation is not new, it has been like this for years.

I've had to call HAL a couple of times for things related to my cruise next week (yippee!!!) and have always been treated respectfully. Only once was the HAL agent a bit abrupt, telling me I had to deal with my travel agent for one particular issue.

Not an experienced cruiser by far (only about 12x since 1974) but I have been with HAL on 3 of them and find their CSR's to be inconsistent in their behavior or attitudes on the phone. Some have been extremely polite and professional while others were curt, surly and seemed as if they couldn't wait to get off the phone. Never had any one of them call me back for anything after booking a cruise nor have I had anyone hang up on me (so far). Like any service industry, it all depends on the employee.

We have a great TA and she is always the "go to person" for me. I haven't dealt with HAL since '10 when I used a PCC at Corporate. The PCC was very knowlegable, too. Never had a problem dealing with the on board event people either, setting up the M & G's.

I've never had a bad experience when deal with HAL reps - other than getting different answers from three different people about the same thing:rolleyes: - but that's not to say that the OP didn't get someone unhelpful at the end of the phone. A couple of days ago I had to phone about incorrect charges to my final account and it was dealt with quickly, efficiently and pleasantly.

I have to say - HAL shipboard services have been fabulous to deal with for me. Between meet and greets, reservations, etc. I have always found them to be very kind and always thank me for calling (silly people:p)

Unfortunately it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. It doesn't take much to smile or to be pleasant - unfortunately that doesn't happen always with everyone:rolleyes:

I second the question asked of the op - can we help here? something maybe one of us knows the answer to or can point you in the right direction?

Archived