Why do you prefer one side vs. other?

When booking our cabin, we always book on the port side of the ship. I have absolutely no reasoning for this. It just seems to be what I gravitate towards.

Do you always book port, or always book starboard?

It depends on the port, If I've never been somewhere before I just grab which ever, but since I'm usually in a balcony, I like to be on it coming into port then I pick whichever gives the best view coming in.

maybe it's just luck, but it sure seems when I get port side cabins, maybe 65-75% of the time they don't even pull up port side. I booked port side for my Liberty of the Seas cruise because I'm hoping we pull up port side ;-) Great way to view the european cities

We don't prefer one over the other, and it cracks me up when people worry over which side of the ship they "need" to be on. Ship's do not always pull up to the pier the same way in all ports. I can think of a few exceptions, Nassau is one where ships always pull straight in and the town is on the starboard side. But, there, unless you have the pier right next to town, or the farthest out, you will have ships on both sides of you.

The fact is, in a lot of ports, you have no way of knowing how the ship will pull in.

We don't prefer one over the other, and it cracks me up when people worry over which side of the ship they "need" to be on. Ship's do not always pull up to the pier the same way in all ports.

The fact is, in a lot of ports, you have no way of knowing how the ship will pull in.

But they always come into the port the same way, It cracks me up when people worry about what other people worry about and make sure they know that.

Our first balcony cruise was starboard and most cruises have been on that side.

However, for our last cruise we booked port so that we could have a view of the harbor in St Maarten since AOS and SOS pulled straight in which caused us to have a view of the little port area to the right. (Kind of boring.) Well, just our luck, NOS backed into the port which had us on the "wrong" side again.

So, I now give up. Plus, since the previous cruises were starboard it became a habit. I did not get use to have a port side cabin on NOS until just about the end of our cruise. lol

Our upcoming cruise in November will again be on the starboard side. Who know's which direction I will go when getting off the elevators. (Luckily there is a big rail between me and the water.):)

But they always come into the port the same way, It cracks me up when people worry about what other people worry about and make sure they know that.

They absolutely do not always come into port the same way in all ports.

Does mocking people always make you feel better? Just sayin....

In nautical terms, portside simply means the left side of the ship, and starboard side means the right side of the ship, both in relationship to the front of ship. Doesn't really mean ports will be on your left anymore than stars would be visible only on the right side.

When booking our cabin, we always book on the port side of the ship. I have absolutely no reasoning for this. It just seems to be what I gravitate towards.

I like port side better for this reason:

At the end of the cruise I love to sit the last night or two and watch the sunset from my balcony. Since most all of our cruises we have been traveling in a northerly direction on the last several days being on the port side makes that possible.

However, this upcoming cruise I have on the IOS we could only get the last cabin left in our category on the starboard side, so I will have to forgo that ritual:(

It doesn't matter to me, But it does seem to help my wife orient herself and understand elevator landing and exits. I guess it is percautionary on her part. For this reason we book port side and has nothing to do with the

port viewing.

jdc2204

They absolutely do not always come into port the same way in all ports.

Does mocking people always make you feel better? Just sayin....

You are mocking somebody for mocking somebody who was mocking somebody. I guess that means I am mocking somebody who was mocking somebody for mocking somebody who was mocking somebody.

Only time we deliberatley picked a side was starboard for the most recent eastbound transatlantic so we would have more sunshine on the balcony. Even then the balconies above still shaded all but the first foot next to the railing. But that was enough to greatly help dry sink washed clothes. We did notice that our side was away from the pier at all the ports but had better views of towns and other ships in the port.

After three prior Port side cruises it was a little strange seeing the water going by the other direction.

Unless there's an overwhelming reason to book one side over the other (i.e. facing the shore on an Alaska cruise), I pick the side that will be the most north-facing during the trip. This is to avoid as much direct sunlight as possible, both to keep the cabin cooler and to have as much shade as possible on our balcony when we have one.

Hi,

On Liberty of the Seas (Freedom Class) and

Navigator of the Seas (Voyager Class) the

Aft Port elevators (hump area) are the only

ones to go all the way up to 14...the Viking Crown Lounge.

Also, sailing out of Fort Lauderdale the Port side

is the Port Everglades Web Cam side.

If you are on your port-side balcony at sailaway...going by the Web Cam

as ship goes through the short inlet...have a large, colorful banner and

the camera operator will zoom in... so all your friends at home can take

some screen shots of you...

....and the kids you left at home know it is time to invite all their friends

over and Par-Tay at your house while you're cruising!

:eek::eek:

Oh, one more...LOS Western...Port side balcony gives you daytime views

of the mountains of Cuba...so the itinerary is something to consider wherever

you go.

I wouldn't care either way except for one thing, and that's the sun. If I'm going north to south and back again I pick the side with sun in the morning and east to west I pick the south side. Sun can be intense in the afternoon on the balcony and makes your room hot.

I have never worried about which side will be facing the port, never thought about sunrise, sunset, sun, no sun! Lol

I just always book port.

Maybe because out first cabin was on the port side and we know to get off that specific elevator and head in the correct direction!

posh = port out, starboard home

I seem to remember that on ships travelling between England and India, posh referred to cabins on the more expensive side.

Have no idea if this is true, but possibly someone reading this post could enlighten me.

Archived