Water on ship? Sea Water?

holdon216

Is any of the water on the ship sea water? I believe the pool water is treated sea water. But is any of the other water used onboard treated sea water? Drinking, ice cubes, showers etc.?

On NCL at least their ships have a de-salination plan onboard each ship. They do take on some fresh water before sailing (not sure about at each port) but the majority of the water is de-salinated sea water. I do have to say that the drinking water on board is some of the best I've tasted. It rates up with the water from our Britta pitcher. I use my cruises as an opportunity to drink more water.

All cruise ships are built with sizable desalination capacity. Cruise ships usually take on potable water at their home port and only use desalination to supplement the water supply. Desalination requires a lot of energy so it is cheaper to minimize its use.

It is likely that long repositioning cruise like the Spirit's trans-pacific will require substantial use of the ship's desalination capacity.

Is any of the water on the ship sea water? I believe the pool water is treated sea water. But is any of the other water used onboard treated sea water? Drinking, ice cubes, showers etc.?

On the Glory the pool was filled with fresh sea water every morning since it was drained nightly. It was very tasty and you float more in sea water if you happen to have a little extra fluff on your person.

Actually they dont treat it with chlorine and other regular pool chemicals. Im told its not treated ocean water.

Salt water in pool...Never recognized if Drinking water was treated sea water or not.

The water astronauts drink in space is from treated urine. They don't notice either since its water when they drink it.

The ship's water IS very soft....so a teensy bit of shampoo goes a long way....don't use as much as you would at home...it will take forever to rinse!!!

The ship's water is purer than bottled....quite tasty. But, it will never, ever "run cold" from your tap...hence, the ice you'll get in your cabin is a must! It's made from ship's water, too! The salt is removed from it. On occasion, they will bring on water from a port, instead of desalinating sea water.

So it is likely the water you drink on the ship is treated sea water? Really?

Some cities do the same thing. It's not a uncommon process to do. Plus almost all cities have processed water to some extent. But the ships water always taste great.

On our Behind the fun tour on the Elation, we were told all drinking water and water used for humans consumption was out of thier potable water tank (filled at port). All other water, like showers, cleaning, and septic, is treated sea water, that is retreated and eventually dumped at sea. Alot of it is recycled...

The pool was filled straight from the sea and dumped right back to the sea.

On our Behind the fun tour on the Elation, we were told all drinking water and water used for humans consumption was out of thier potable water tank (filled at port). All other water, like showers, cleaning, and septic, is treated sea water, that is retreated and eventually dumped at sea. Alot of it is recycled...

The pool was filled straight from the sea and dumped right back to the sea.

The ship you were on must have had some huge water tanks given the amount of people onboard.

The ship you were on must have had some huge water tanks given the amount of people onboard.

It is a Fantasy class ship... one of the smallest. And all it would take is a 10-15k gallon tank. Not all that big considering the size and space in the hull of the ships.

Archived