Capri on your own from Solstice?

passy

Hi folks!

I'm on the Solstice next week from Barcelona on 4th June with my Mum and we are thinking of going to Capri on our own when we dock in Naples. We're not really fans of organised excursions!

But - my mum is a worrier! I know she'll panic about missing the hydrofoil back and missing the ship!

Can anyone give me any info/tips on how reliable the hydrofoils are? If we left Solstice around 11 and got back around 4/5 (we sail at 7) I'm guessing that would be enough time on Capri??

I have posted this on the ports-of-call forum too.

many thanks!!

Logistically, catching the hydrofoil is very easy since the tickets are sold and it departs next to the pier where you dock.

Suggest you catch an earlier hydrofoil than 11. If you only have 12-3 on Capri you limit what you can see and pushes back your return.

The return times are posted on the quay in Marina Grande so you can judge the return. The times are online also to plan your day.

We took the fennicular up, walked around and down to a beach bar. Then caught a boat to Marina Piccola for a great lunch and enjoyed the beach which was great. Used a taxi to return to Marina Grande.

We joined another couple from the roll-call to spend the day with them and share the cost of a taxis.

Aim to get back to Naples earlier than you need to by avoiding your last possible hydrofoil.

Hope you enjoy the day and Solstice as much as we did.

I had that plan too, to do with my mum. When I was researching what a lot of people said is to buy your return ticket when you arrive. That way you are sure you have a return ticket and can walk straight unto the ferry. Because it is still early in the season it should not be too crowded.

We'll be on the same cruise and plan on doing the same thing --

Advice I found from the forums include: buying return ticket when you get to Capri; making sure you return to Beverello ( there is another Naples port). check to make sure you are not on the slower ferry.

thanks everyone!

looks like an earlier start and a return ticket will sort us out!!

can't wait !!

We did this last year in early September, and the ticket booth in Naples was quite crowded - we almost missed the boat we had wanted (we had to run). Perhaps in early June it will not be so crowded, but when planning your trip to Capri, you might want to allow at least 30 minutes for the ticket purchase process. You are correct about buying a return ticket - just select your desired return departure time and buy the return ticket in Naples.

Yep, don't worry. It's an easy trip. Straight off the ship, walk over to the ticket booth. Round trip ticket.

We did it last year and even had time to go to Port D'Alba (the oldest Pizzeria in the world), back in Naples when we returned.

Have a great time.

We did this exact thing two weeks ago.

My only advice is to be SURE to negotiate any taxi fares ahead of time in writing...bring a pencil and note pad. I have never been so ripped off in my life (or tried to be) as I was with the cap drivers on Capri and Naples. An English-fluent cab driver on Capri said it was 15 Euro to get from the heli-pad to anna capri (about 6 minute drive) and when we arrived in anna capri, he said, "oh no, it's 50 euro". After much yelling back and forth and finally I called a police officer over, he suddenly could not speak a word of english and told the police officer that "Signora misunderstood"...I speak a little Italian, so I understood their conversation.

Same thing happened in our cab from Naples to Sorrento (we were to dock in sorrento but couldn't due to high winds so we ended up in Naples. Our helicopter tour was out of Sorrento so we had to make the hour cab ride). We negotiated the ride for 100 Euro and suddenly half way there, he said, "You know, that doesn't include my 20 euro tip"...oh vay.

Lastly, not sure where your ship will dock, but navigating the slips by foot looked easier than it was. I could see our ship (The Silver Spirit) from where the hydro foil was but getting there was a different thing. NO ONE would/could help us although everyone spoke english and I spoke some Italian. People were VERY rude and only interested in ripping you off. I was pointed to the general direction of the boat and was told time and time again that 'of course you could walk it"...well, 45 minutes later, 3 detours later of walking through homeless areas and scary port-areas, we made it. I was never so happy to see my ship as I was that day nor was I ever so happy to leave a port as I was to leave Naples.

Regarding the hydro foil, yes it was easy, and punctual we had no problem with that.

Have a good trip and with some planning and awareness, you should be just fine.

Easy to get ticket for hydrofoil in Naples port, right where your ship docks. Be mindful of people trying to sell you tours as soon as you step foot on the hydrofoil! Also, it can be a very bumpy ride. Both my kids got seasick within five minutes of setting off (ironic as they had been fine for nearly a week on the ship - shows how it's a totally different experience). I was dreading the 50 minute return sailing, however as the hydrofoil sticks closer to the shore when returning to Naples, they didn't experience any nausea.

Have done Capri twice this way, very easy...

you have received lots of good advice...

would always try to go earlier and allow extra time! don't cut your time short as the trip up and down the mountain takes time.

never had issues with people trying to rip us off either trip, but everyone has different experiences. but Capri is FULL of tourist places, so you do have to be careful...and food can be lower quality in places on any main street. Walk down a side-street for better prices/quality!

there were lots of people trying to sell their 'tour services' on the hydrofoil on the way over, we just politely said 'no thanks'

as mentioned before, purchase return tickets in Naples or as soon as you arrive in Capri. Don't wait till ready to return to Naples, as lines at ticket counters can get long.

Depending on your health/mobility, both trips we took taxis to the top, and walked back down to the port. Also recommend the cable-cars to the top of the island, if not afraid of heights and physically able to get on/off the cars (and not afraid of heights!)

http://rickrockhill.blogspot.com/2009/10/aegean-sea-cruise-beautiful-capri.html

Just got home 2 weeks ago. We made the 8:05 am hydrofoil and came back at 3:25. No problems. They actually filled 2 hydrofoils for 3:25 and when the first hydrofoil was full it took off early and the second one stayed until departure.

Very, very easy DIY.

One thing we did do which was ONE OF THE BEST PRIVATE TOURS WE HAVE EVER DONE was take a 2 hour boat trip around the island with a guide. He's listed on TripAdvisor...Gianni's Boats. We paid 120 euro (and had posted on our roll call and asked another couple to join us so only 60 euro each couple) for a 2 hour boat tour around base of island. We saw 4 grottos and hiked to top of white grotto. You can swim anytime you want to jump off (we didn't as water still too cold). It was sooooooooo fabulous and so, so, so, so beautiful.

We then decided due to time constraints to hire a taxi for the rest of the day and the other couple split it with us - 100 euro - have no idea if ripped off or not. 50 euro per couple. We saw everything and it was fab. He brought us back to hydrofoil on time and we had NO STRESS.

If I did it again...I would not change a single thing. It was awesome! Loved the chairlift to the top too for great views.

Has it really become necessary to buy your return ticket right away? We didn't the last time we were there and had no issues. It was great to just grab the company that had the next departure rather than stressing about being down at a certain time to catch a certain sailing.

Archived