Tipping Question on HAL

showgirl85

For the past several cruises, we have booked a Deluxe Verandah class cabin and thus have had access to the Neptune Lounge and the concierge. At the end of the cruise, we have always tipped the concierge (sometimes 2 of them) and they always seemed so surprised. I was wondering if others who had access to the Neptune Lounge tipped the concierge and if so, how much? Thanks!:confused:

For the past several cruises, we have booked a Deluxe Verandah class cabin and thus have had access to the Neptune Lounge and the concierge. At the end of the cruise, we have always tipped the concierge (sometimes 2 of them) and they always seemed so surprised. I was wondering if others who had access to the Neptune Lounge tipped the concierge and if so, how much? Thanks!:confused:

We just got off the Oosterdam eight days ago and tipped the concierges $25 each. Sometimes we tip less, sometimes more, it depends on how much we use them. There are times that we have never used their service and the tips are lower.

I think if you are using them the automatic tip is higher.

The concierges are not surprised to receive tips. They receive them from most Suite guests every cruise. I don't know why you have the impression they are surprised but I can tell you for sure, not only do we tip them every cruise (and that's been a great many) but we see many, many others in there the end of the cruise saying thank you and handing them envelopes.

Conceriges rotate from front office and as such as not part of the hotel service charge pool.

My understanding is that cabins use that concierge lounge pay a higher per day auto tip.

Yes the Suites do have a higher Hotel Service Charge -- $12 per day per person. The other cabin categories's Hotel Service Charge is $11.50 per person per day.

BUT -- the concierges do not get anything from the Hotel Service Charge. They are salaried employees.

We always tip the concierges and like others it depends on how much we use them. Sometimes we don't use them at all but we still tip them. I've seen what they have to go thru with some passengers, they certainly deserve being tipped.

Yes the Suites do have a higher Hotel Service Charge -- $12 per day per person. The other cabin categories's Hotel Service Charge is $11.50 per person per day.

BUT -- the concierges do not get anything from the Hotel Service Charge. They are salaried employees.

Oh..... so he was just saying Suites pay a slightly higher Hotel Service Charge? Didn't know what he meant.

We always tip the concierges and like others it depends on how much we use them. Sometimes we don't use them at all but we still tip them. I've seen what they have to go thru with some passengers, they certainly deserve being tipped.

We almost always tip both but once in a while, we have not tipped the alternate if they only cover during the main Concierges lunch or if the alternate did nothing particular for us. Sometimes we haven't even learned the name of the ogther person and see no reason to tip.

We have never left the ship without tipping the primary Concierge.

If the concierges seem surprised, they are just very polite actors! :)

probably - but I know the last two times both ladies had a suprised look on their faces:) Probably to give you the impression it isn't expected;)

The SY suite is very nice and comfy. It gives you enough room to move around without paying full suite prices. We had three in a row with the family and we had the balconies opened between the rooms. The bathroom is great! After the SY bathrooms it is tough to go back to the balcony rooms with their small bathrooms.

Panheads, I have stayed in an SY many times and love it. The only other cabin we would stay in is an SA. My husband would not stay in anything smaller than SY because of the bathrooms. SY has the same size bathroom as the full suite. Balcony is a very nice size and plenty of space in the cabin. The SY SS & SZ cabins do not have the SC SB SA and Penthouse suite amenities. I think you'll be very pleased.

Diane

Because they aren't "service personnel", they aren't a suggested person to tip...they make a salary and aren't dependant on tips like the waiters and housekeepers are. If they do you a good service, above and beyond their duties, then sure, a tip is fine! It's not suggested or recommended, or necessary.

Archived