air credit allowance plus a website question!

Sheltieluv

Hi all

We are considering the Regatta Alaska cruise for next May (our first time on Oceania if we decide to do this; we've only been on Regent and HAL), and I'm trying to figure out the "free" air thing.

We would be flying from Syracuse to Vancouver round-trip, and I'm not sure if we would be better off using Oceania's air, or to arrange our own. Since Syracuse isn't a gateway city, there will be an add-on, plus the deviation if we choose specific flights.

Can anyone tell me what the air credit allowance would be from the East Coast to Vancouver?

I've always done our own air arrangements, but am uncertain what to do in this case. (We would definitely fly in one day early).

Question #2--I can access the Oceania website itself with no problem, but there are sections that say the site is "unsafe" for me to enter. For example, I tried to do a "dummy" booking, and windows doesn't allow me to open that particular section and warns me to "get out of there" or something like that. It won't let me set up an account either, and I get that same "unsafe" message.

Have any of you encountered this, and did you go ahead and access all parts of the website anyway?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

The air credit varies from cruise to cruise, so I don't think it's possible to tell what it would be for this cruise. If you book through a TA, that person should be able to tell you. Or you could just call Oceania and see if you can get an answer.

In the past we always did our own air because it was always cheaper. But in recent years that hasn't always been the case. So the general advice from here most likely would be to do your own research and see what it will cost you to do it on your own before you decide to use their air.

Also, consider a deviation depending on the beginning and ending ports. Lots of people don't spend any time in those ports, but we always do.

As to #2, I've never encountered that warning myself. Sometimes I get that warning when I'm at a site that I know is safe and so I have ignored it.

Mura

In the few years I have been using CC I usually have found one or two users that give reliable information. In my opinion Mura is one so what I say is ditto.

We just booked our first Oceania for next April. Our air from Honolulu to Papeete and Lima to Honolulu has a $1,200 value. This is an open jaw ticket and would be impossible to equal as an independent flyer. Yes, Oceania will route us the cheapsest way for them which may ne be the most conveient for us but that is life. You will be told your crusie value when booked and it is possible point to point r/t you might better especially should you care to linger in port before or after cruise.

I might add we have just cancelled a Royal Caribbean International cruise this September in favor of O and Marina. In my professional opinion O is a vastly superior product and we have yet to complete our first cruise with them.:cool:

I think the air credit for North American embarkation ports in about $250 pp

If you can do an online booking with the air & without that will confirm the price

The deviation is $125 pp r/t worth it for us but if you can get some deals in the US it may not be for you

I have not had a problem with the website ..I use firefox ..

maybe your security setting are set higher

Hi all

We are considering the Regatta Alaska cruise for next May (our first time on Oceania if we decide to do this; we've only been on Regent and HAL), and I'm trying to figure out the "free" air thing.

We would be flying from Syracuse to Vancouver round-trip, and I'm not sure if we would be better off using Oceania's air, or to arrange our own. Since Syracuse isn't a gateway city, there will be an add-on, plus the deviation if we choose specific flights.

Can anyone tell me what the air credit allowance would be from the East Coast to Vancouver?

I've always done our own air arrangements, but am uncertain what to do in this case. (We would definitely fly in one day early).

Question #2--I can access the Oceania website itself with no problem, but there are sections that say the site is "unsafe" for me to enter. For example, I tried to do a "dummy" booking, and windows doesn't allow me to open that particular section and warns me to "get out of there" or something like that. It won't let me set up an account either, and I get that same "unsafe" message.

Have any of you encountered this, and did you go ahead and access all parts of the website anyway?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

Question 1 -- For the May 25 Regatta Alaska Cruise --- The air fare is worth $600 pp round trip. There are a number of sites that allow you to get prices with and without air.

Question 2 -- Your security is set rather tight on Firefox. The certificate from Oceania is not valid and therefore the browser does not like it. You can view the certificate and then accept an exception and that should end your issues.

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate your help.

We are looking at this cruise based mainly on its itinerary, and from what I have read on these boards, Oceania delivers a quality product. Not all-inclusive like Regent, but we like the ship size and other amenities that people seem to enjoy. So, I think we may give it a try!

The air add-on from Syracuse is $199 pp, plus the deviation fee, so we're looking at $324 pp in extra cost per person. I did look at flying from Toronto or Ottawa (either city is a 4-hour drive) but that would entail an extra hotel night, plus gas, etc., so I think we'll just stick with Syracuse even though it will mean a connection or two. (love the idea of nonstop from Toronto tho!)

Thanks too for the website advice; I'll try viewing the certificate and accepting it; hope that works! I'm kind of techni-dumb! :D

In my professional opinion O is a vastly superior product and we have yet to complete our first cruise with them.:cool:

Just out of curiosity, what profession would that opinion be from?

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part; a thirty-five year hobby of cruising and digging into ever facet of a ship and knowing insiders in the business. My office at home is filled with ship photos that go as far back at the SS Monetery on which I was seven months of age on her maiden voyage. A very beautiful ship profile even by today's sleeker standards. I also have an envelope dropped off said ship by TIN CAN MAIL from Niaufoou addressed to my uncle.

Yes...I have a passion for ships and voyages and feel fortunate I was able to do so much sea travel before it became more the ordinary than the exceptional and when ships were nautical and not Disneyland. :cool:

One other consideration - if Oceania arranges your air and you miss the sailing time because of delayed or cancelled flights; Oceania will pay and arrange to get you to the next port. It will be your responsibility, and cost, if you arrange your own flight. I usually arrange my own flight only when I am arriving a few days early at the departure city.

The air add-on from Syracuse is $199 pp, plus the deviation fee, so we're looking at $324 pp in extra cost per person. I did look at flying from Toronto or Ottawa (either city is a 4-hour drive) but that would entail an extra hotel night, plus gas, etc., so I think we'll just stick with Syracuse even though it will mean a connection or two. (love the idea of nonstop from Toronto tho!)

T

Have you check BUF or Albany airports ..a lot closer than YYZ ;)

United has some flight with 1 connection in ORD

I would also consider flying in a day early

Enjoy

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part; a thirty-five year hobby of cruising and digging into ever facet of a ship and knowing insiders in the business. My office at home is filled with ship photos that go as far back at the SS Monetery on which I was seven months of age on her maiden voyage. A very beautiful ship profile even by today's sleeker standards. I also have an envelope dropped off said ship by TIN CAN MAIL from Niaufoou addressed to my uncle.

Yes...I have a passion for ships and voyages and feel fortunate I was able to do so much sea travel before it became more the ordinary than the exceptional and when ships were nautical and not Disneyland. :cool:

I will show my age but my husband and I sailed the Monterey from LAX to Hawaii and return in the 70's it was a great ship and a great trip!!

Jancruz1

Archived