Is a PG Tahiti cruise "hokey"?

aaaaa

• 2 weeks later...
Good day, I'm researching a possible trip and am wondering whether a PG cruise affords guests with the opportunity to experience the true culture of Polynesia or whether, instead, PG guests are exposed mostly to commercialized, staged versions of the Polynesian culture (e.g., for-profit dance shows). Would a land tour provide better/more opportunities for cultural immersion? Thank you very much for any guidance.

I think you answered your own question.

IMHO, an extended land tour provides better/more opportunities for cultural immersion. Not just a couple hours in port for each stop.

Just curious where have you cruised to previously? What was your experience?

Good luck.

I think you answered your own question.

IMHO, an extended land tour provides better/more opportunities for cultural immersion. Not just a couple hours in port for each stop.

Just curious where have you cruised to previously? What was your experience?

Good luck.

You have obviously not cruised on the PG. They have two days in Moorea and two days in Bora Bora and not a few hours in each stop. They have Tahitian men and women who sing dance and tell the tales of their culture. They bring local dance troops on board. They have an archeologist who traces the history of the Lapita people's and takes you on excursions to the Maraes. They have environmentalists and oceanographers on board discussing the state of our oceans as well as its beauty.

If you stay in one of the resort hotels you may have one cultural dance show but you will have far less opportunity to get to know the lives and history of the Polynesian people. We have stayed in the hotels in FP so have had that experience.

What makes the PG special is that it brings the people and islands on board and into our hearts. This is why we have cruised 8 times on the PG with the 9 th, tenth and eleventh already booked and there are many who have cruised a lot more than me. The ship treats us like family and it is so heartwarming on the first day when the crew gives us hugs and says " welcome home".

Just so you can put my comments in perspective we have travelled all over the world both by land and ocean and have well over 50 cruises under our belt so I am not talking from a narrow partisan point of view.

You have obviously not cruised on the PG. They have two days in Moorea and two days in Bora Bora and not a few hours in each stop. They have Tahitian men and women who sing dance and tell the tales of their culture. They bring local dance troops on board. They have an archeologist who traces the history of the Lapita people's and takes you on excursions to the Maraes. They have environmentalists and oceanographers on board discussing the state of our oceans as well as its beauty.

If you stay in one of the resort hotels you may have one cultural dance show but you will have far less opportunity to get to know the lives and history of the Polynesian people. We have stayed in the hotels in FP so have had that experience.

What makes the PG special is that it brings the people and islands on board and into our hearts. This is why we have cruised 8 times on the PG with the 9 th, tenth and eleventh already booked and there are many who have cruised a lot more than me. The ship treats us like family and it is so heartwarming on the first day when the crew gives us hugs and says " welcome home".

Just so you can put my comments in perspective we have travelled all over the world both by land and ocean and have well over 50 cruises under our belt so I am not talking from a narrow partisan point of view.

I am thinking about taking a first time cruise with PG.

Sounds like one gets a nice snapshot of Polynesian culture. Sort of like an extended experience similar to a tour of the Polynesian Cultural Center in North Shore of Oahu?

So, just curious, what is the typical demographic of PG pax?

And, what itinerary do you recommend for a first PG cruise?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I am thinking about taking a first time cruise with PG.

Sounds like one gets a nice snapshot of Polynesian culture. Sort of like an extended experience similar to a tour of the Polynesian Cultural Center in North Shore of Oahu?

So, just curious, what is the typical demographic of PG pax?

And, what itinerary do you recommend for a first PG cruise?

The demographic is largely people in their 50s and 60s with a smattering of honeymooners and some in their 70s.

For a first timer I would always recommend the 10 day Tuamotus. That would allow you to have a nice mix of islands and atolls. It also allows you to visit one of the islands before or to spend a couple of days resting in Tahiti before the cruise. Beware though, the PG or FP flu may strike and before you know it you will be returning to the PG!

Enjoy your planning and hope you do enjoy the PG!

The company behind the PG really is committed to the environment and to Polynesian culture. Emdee has already listed many of the ways that they put their money where their mouth is.

Another example doesn't directly relate to the PG, but is perhaps relevant. They have a program where they send Polynesian teenagers out on the archaeological digs. It is intended to make them aware of the rich history of their culture.

Yes the Polynesian Cultural Center is a good example. However, now add to that the beauty of French Polynesia. Yes Hawaii is nice but once you experience FP you will say there is no comparison like so many of us already know. Now add to that Menus with French influence and with some Asian influence along of course with Polynesian. Yup, it is a tasty treat going on the PG. Another trait of the typical PG cruiser is most are well travelled, they know much of the world especially the South PAcific. I sat there at the dinner table and enjoy the great conversation and you learn so much, you have no idea who you may be sitting next to. you could be sitting next to a teacher who happens to have a PHD in Polynesian culture or a award winning director, or astronaut, you just just know, you don't run into this on most cruises. The cruisers on the PG are similar to private pilots who are typically achievers, well educated but not stuffy. They take on life and never give up. Pilots are an interesting breed as they can fly a Lear jet or a two seater trainer but they all are equals, just go to a popular fly-in destination where pilots gather for breakfast all flying in from different locations, they have a common denominator, all are equal, this same trait is true of the vast majority of PG cruisers, educated, well traveled but not stuffy.

Indeed, I recently wrote about my 1st Azamara cruise over on that board. (I quite enjoyed it, by the way). In that report I did some comparisons to Regent, but said I would not compare Azamara to the PG: the PG, French Polynesia and the company really are special and can't be compared to any others.

Indeed, I recently wrote about my 1st Azamara cruise over on that board. (I quite enjoyed it, by the way). In that report I did some comparisons to Regent, but said I would not compare Azamara to the PG: the PG, French Polynesia and the company really are special and can't be compared to any others.

Thanks for letting us know. I must read it. Azamara reminds me of the old Regent.

I agree with the Big Kahuna and David. For the most part the PG are very interesting and not pretentious. We have chat with a retired nuclear sub captain who was under the Bay of Pigs in a sub for 90 days, an successful candidate for the Mexican Presidency and a survivor of the Bataan dead march. Of course, most of us are just happy to be on the cruise enjoying our retirement without any fancy titles or any big achievements.

After 8 cruises on the PG, we only advise that you choose to dine with others at dinner. You will not be disappointed. Of course, it helps if you try to add to the conversation.