Back from the Riviera...and it was STUNNING

JimandStan

Just arrived home today from the Riviera Maiden Voyage, and boy oh boy, she is one spectacular ship. :D

OceanIa-Riviera-inaugurado-en-Barcelona1.jpg

I took so many pictures that I'll be downloading them for days, but I wanted to jump right in to tell all of you who are booked on this beautiful new ship that Oceania has surpassed itself AGAIN!

riviera-christening-650.jpg The staff has been working like a well oiled machine from day one, and unless I miss my guess, the Riviera has introduced (dare I use the word?) a renaissance in the service that we can expect on Oceania, which was pretty darned good in the first place.

The Marina impressed me, the Riviera wowed me.

J&S,

Welcome home. I am looking forward to your reports and especially your pictures.

Is the Riviera THAT much different from the Marina?

You make it sounds like that she is :confused: - I want to hear more.

That would be akin to opening a new restaurant and having the best chefs there and then departing. After several meals (cruises) the customer base would figure it out and these boards would be bad-mouthing the ship. I understand the best in terms of training but I certainly wouldn't want to see the ship's reputation deteriorate.

I don't think FDR would tolerate that.

Oceania currently has many of their very best employees aboard Riviera. Many of their ace staff will depart the ship very soon. Let's hope the service remains as good as you describe.

Oceania currently has many of their very best employees aboard Riviera. Many of their ace staff will depart the ship very soon. Let's hope the service remains as good as you describe.

When I was on board Riviera I met many staff that were first timers on Oceania but had been on ships before..so it wasnt all the "ace staff" and many of the old timers werer staying on Riviera as "their ship"

Jancruz1

Most cruise lines will transfer their most experienced staff to a new ship in order to get it up and running more smoothly. Then they have to redistribute them to the entire fleet in order to keep consistency in their product.

The whol;e purpose of mixing "Ace" staff and newcomers is to provide the training and service by example that will wuickly turn the newcomers into Aces, themselves.

I saw a lot of new faces a,ong the staff, but if I didn't look at the faces, I couldn't tell the difference between old and new -- excpet that perhaps the most experienced staff were more relaxed. By the end of the 20 days I was aboard Riviera, even the girl emptying the waste baskets by the elevators was smiling and wishing everyone a good day.

One afternoon, sitting in the Waves pool grill restaurant area, there were so many young fellows coming by every few seconds to offer service, that I accosted a couple of them and said I thought they were having a competition to see who could provide the best service. One fellow answered, "We are...and I'm winning."

Welcome home J&S and Don,

Thank you for your wonderful reports! I am really looking forward to the pictures! Sure wish I could have been there..............:(

Judy

DITTO! But I will be on her for 21 days starting in November.

~Doris~

DITTO! But I will be on her for 21 days starting in November.

~Doris~

Don, and Jim & Stan,

Well done! You have vicariously put the rest of us onboard and we really appreciate it. I have been so encouraged that B2B will occur commencing Oct 14 - Oceania ought to bring you onboard more often (at their expense).

Many thanks for fine pics and reports.

Better than the Marina?

We're looking forward to the Riviera for the Lisbon to Rome cruise on June 17. Can hardly wait until we board. We were supposed to be there for the Maiden but had to cancel when the date was pushed up as the turnaround would have been too short for us.

I was wondering the same, Don. Also Ms Brown's "Live from Riviera blog" only had the one day and then no more. What's up w/ that??

----------------

Helen

As hard as it may be to wait for more information, please remember that many of us stayed in Athens for a few days, before returning home against the time change.

I myself have not yet been at home for 48 hours YET, and I still have hundreds of photographs to down and then upload, plus the usual unpacking, laundry and sorting through the various menus, schedules and programs that I took home with me to share with you good people. ;)

I've got an Overview of the new Liquor Packages, and how they really work, in the pipeline, but my key reference materials (my final invoice and the bar menu from Martinis) have not been unpacked yet. Hopefully that will be post-able sometime in tomorrows business......

fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

092035.jpg It may all be a little delayed, but you will all have a front row seat when we pull it together :D

Seems odd that there are no reviews posted other than here. Wonder if CC has "linked" Riviera to the Oceania thread.

CC has not put the Riveria in the list of ship to post a review ...YET

Maybe those that have a review to post should contact admin ;)

We look forward to what we know will be a real treat.

QUOTE=JimandStan;33976332]As hard as it may be to wait for more information, please remember that many of us stayed in Athens for a few days, before returning home against the time change.

I myself have not yet been at home for 48 hours YET, and I still have hundreds of photographs to down and then upload, plus the usual unpacking, laundry and sorting through the various menus, schedules and programs that I took home with me to share with you good people. ;)

I've got an Overview of the new Liquor Packages, and how they really work, in the pipeline, but my key reference materials (my final invoice and the bar menu from Martinis) have not been unpacked yet. Hopefully that will be post-able sometime in tomorrows business......

fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

092035.jpg It may all be a little delayed, but you will all have a front row seat when we pull it together :D

Didn't mean you J&S or Don& Betsy as we have been blessed to have updates from you all along but I specfically wonder what happened to the "Live from Riviera" blog from Carolyn Brown that was started and ended on the day of the christening. Of course, you would not have been looking for it as you were on a fabulous cruise but those of us slaving away in our respective salt mines missed it.

Welcome Home!

---------------------

Helen

Didn't mean you J&S or Don& Betsy as we have been blessed to have updates from you all along but I specfically wonder what happened to the "Live from Riviera" blog from Carolyn Brown that was started and ended on the day of the christening. Of course, you would not have been looking for it as you were on a fabulous cruise but those of us slaving away in our respective salt mines missed it.

Welcome Home!

---------------------

Helen

Carolyn Brown & her delightful husband were only on the Riviera for 3 or 4 days and told me that they were heading home for what amounted to an overnight before embarking on yet another cruise, so they are most likely writing about another ship by now. :)

Are the landromats on the front of the ship or back? As a landlubber I wouldn't know aft from port or bow!

They are located toward the front (i.e. bow) of the ship.

Archived