Credit Card Travel Insurance

ultimate_jatt

My credit card comes with travel medical insurance as well as trip interruption/flight delay. We set sail this Sunday on Victory.

Is it necessary to purchase additional travel insurance for a cruise or will my credit card's medical do.

Background: I'm canadian and have used this for travelling to the states.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

Some of the things covered by travel insurance usually include:

Emergency medical evacuation

Trip interruption both for illness or injury to the insured and for death or illness of close family at home.

I've got several credit cards with a travel insurance benefit. Every single one of mine specifically excludes cruises. You definitely would want to read the actually policy for limitations.

Harris

Denver, CO

If you're about to set sail, it's too late to buy insurance from a real insurance company. Generally, you have to purchase within 10 days of your booking date.

If your credit card offers insurance...that's what you've got! Hopefully, you won't have issues that require insurance at all!

If you're about to set sail, it's too late to buy insurance from a real insurance company. Generally, you have to purchase within 10 days of your booking date.

All of the major insurers will be happy to sell you a policy up until the day prior to your departure. You won't be eligible for benefits like coverage for pre-existing medical conditions but the medical, emergency evac, trip cancellation/evacuation (if you buy that coverage), travel delay, etc will all be available to you.

If your credit card offers insurance...that's what you've got! Hopefully, you won't have issues that require insurance at all!

You only have to purchase insurance within a short window after you book the cruise to cover a pre-existing condition. Otherwise, with most private plans you can purchase it anytime prior to the start of the cruise.

Keith

What credit cards still provide travel insurance, particularly those that include cruises in their coverage? Several of my credit cards used to offer it but no longer provide it. Thanks for any details anyone can provide.

Archived