Rum Point ONLY ??

Boozebabe

Anyone know of a tour to Rum Point? Last year we did the tour thru NativeWay and it was wonderful tour. It was swim with sting rays, snorkeling and Rum Point with lunce. But this year we just want to go to Rum Point.

Would renting a car be better?

Anyone can visit Rum Point and it's easy to get there. It's not challenging to drive around the island or to Rum Point itself, but getting out of the traffic in town might be. Once you are out of town it's an easy drive.

I would contact Sharon at Nativeways and see if they might set up a private driver for you. Maybe they would drop you off and pick you up later. Couldn't hurt to ask. It is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the pier.

We visited Rum point the first time by renting a car. Very easy. The second time we did the tour with the stingrays because we took kids.

I will say we much preferred on our own. We rented a car, my husband didn't have any trouble driving. We arrived way before the tours and had the beach totally to ourselves for a couple of hours. We were with another couple on their first cruise and my friend still says this was her favorite day.

We are going next March and probably will be renting a car again. We will probably stay until the tours show up and then let them have the beach.

Avis is at the airport---they'll pick you up a a gift shop near the port---Blue Parrott--they shuttle you to their office to get car--you return car to airport and they drop you off at your pier---whats nice is you don't have to drive downtown

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I rented a car in Grand Cayman. Instead of making it easy on ourselves and picking up at the Blue Parrot right in front of the cruise ship, we hopped on a bus, had that bus drop us off at the Marriott where there was a car rental place and then drove to Rum Point.

Driving on the other side of the road was a bit tricky at first, and we got a bit confused a couple of times, but once we made it out of town- it was a piece of cake and quite a lovely drive.

Rum Point was very beautiful and worth the drive, but I found it very hilarious to see a boat pull up with those on an excursion. They didn't have to rent, drive on the other side of the road or navigate themselves to get to where we were, they took the easy route.

Driving was fun and all, but I can appreciate taking the shortcut.:)

My husband and I very rarely do excursions ... actually only twice ... both times we did the horseback ride and swim and it was great. But, we're basically very independent and find that doing things on our own is more enjoyable and sometimes quicker!! We get to see and do more. Anyway, been reading about the car rentals here and wondering if I could get more details ... pricing, time involved, maybe some other things to see along the way, etc. from those who have done it ... sounds like fun! Thanx!:)

My husband and I very rarely do excursions ... actually only twice ... both times we did the horseback ride and swim and it was great. But, we're basically very independent and find that doing things on our own is more enjoyable and sometimes quicker!! We get to see and do more. Anyway, been reading about the car rentals here and wondering if I could get more details ... pricing, time involved, maybe some other things to see along the way, etc. from those who have done it ... sounds like fun! Thanx!:)

We've rented a car twice from Avis. They are at the airport, but I didn't find that a big deal. They are very nice to deal with, and they have a shuttle pick up at the Blue Iguana, a gift shop near the piers. They have a all-inclusive rate for cruise ship passengers which includes the insurances (you'll want this as you'll be driving on the left) and foreign license. It's very reasonable compared to an excursion. Driving directly to Rum Point would take about 45 minutes, but there are places to stop along the way. We stopped at the blowholes, which are very scenic. There was a man there who will offer to "guide" you and take photos for you. He's friendly and harmless and has a stand across the road with soft drinks for sale. He also has a very clean porta-potty, so if you need to stop, this is the place. Be forewarned; you will only get your change back in Cayman $'s, so try to give him small bills.

You could also stop at the Botanical Gardens (which I wanted to do, but we ran out of time). It's on a road that bisects the road that runs around the island to Rum Point. The people at Avis will mark the road to the points of interest for you on a map and the route to Rum Point.

Rum Point has very nice beaches and has some rentals for water toys and also places to get food and to shop, so you could easily spend the day here. Just allow yourself enough time for the return trip to the airport to return your car and for the shuttle to take you back to town and allow enough time to reboard the tender for your return to your ship.

Here are a couple of links you may find helpful:

http://www.aviscayman.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147365-d149242-Reviews-Rum_Point-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

Rum Point is about 45 minutes from town, in the opposite direction from the port area as the turtle farm. It's a relatively easy drive, although you'll have to drive on the left and navigate roundabouts (traffic circles).

More or less on the way are:

- Pedro St James historic site (http://www.pedrostjames.ky)

- botanical gardens (http://www.botanic-park.ky/)

- really cheesy "pirate caves" with a petting zoo

- blowholes

- lots of nice scenery

Cayman has most of the chain car rental companies. Google your favorite chain and it's likely there. Most are located near the airport, but either provide a shuttle or are easy to get to by taxi. Close to the port area but not right at the port are two local companies - Cayman Auto Rentals and Andy's. (Andy's also has an airport location.) We usually rent from Andy's and pay about $40 for a tiny car - but we get a frequent renter discount. Any of the companies are likely going to be as good as any of the others, though.

Other Rum Point questions? :D

Hello - anyone know if there are water taxis or private boats that will take you to rum pointe.

Thanks in advance

Not during the times when a cruise ship visitor would need them...

• 2 weeks later...
Rum Point is about 45 minutes from town, in the opposite direction from the port area as the turtle farm. It's a relatively easy drive, although you'll have to drive on the left and navigate roundabouts (traffic circles).

More or less on the way are:

- Pedro St James historic site (http://www.pedrostjames.ky)

- botanical gardens (http://www.botanic-park.ky/)

- really cheesy "pirate caves" with a petting zoo

- blowholes

- lots of nice scenery

Cayman has most of the chain car rental companies. Google your favorite chain and it's likely there. Most are located near the airport, but either provide a shuttle or are easy to get to by taxi. Close to the port area but not right at the port are two local companies - Cayman Auto Rentals and Andy's. (Andy's also has an airport location.) We usually rent from Andy's and pay about $40 for a tiny car - but we get a frequent renter discount. Any of the companies are likely going to be as good as any of the others, though.

Other Rum Point questions? :D

Can you rent wave runners at Rum Point? And if so do you know how much they are?

• 2 weeks later...
Avis is at the airport---they'll pick you up a a gift shop near the port---Blue Parrott--they shuttle you to their office to get car--you return car to airport and they drop you off at your pier---whats nice is you don't have to drive downtown

Paul

How far is the airport from the pier? Does the shuttle run only specific times? Wondering how much time is needed for return to ship....thanks!

I would contact Sharon at Nativeways and see if they might set up a private driver for you. Maybe they would drop you off and pick you up later. Couldn't hurt to ask. It is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the pier.

Thanks - I tried this but they were not able to assist for a private tour or driver. We may take their excursion that includes Rum Pont just to see a different beach in the area.

M

The following exerpt is from a post I made back in 2007 but it still applies!

"I rented a Jeep and drove to Rum Point in Sept 2006. There a few things you should know. First of all the airport is a bit of a drive from the port. You will have to get a taxi. The rental company (Avis) says to call from the Blue Iguana and they will send a shuttle, but when we got off the ship it was so early in the morning the Blue Iguana is not even open, actually nothing is open and there is really no one around. So, we found a cab on our own and got to Avis fine. They will give you a map, but you will be driving on the other side of the road and there are "roundabouts that can be confusing. I always felt worried about the time and going the wrong way. We kept stopping to make sure we were going the right direction. AND, the island has rush hour traffic at that time of the morning, although it going the opposite direction. So we got to Rum Point without too much trouble, but when we got there we were the only people there. They were just opening and we felt like we were too early. I will tell you that the snorkeling is not good, there is absolutely nothing to see. This is a beautiful beach for sure! If all you care about is lounging you will love it. The grill does not even open till early afternoon. As for the starfish beach, I was aware of it and had planned to go there, but I just worried most of the short time we had there about getting back to the ship on time. You have to take the car back to the airport then wait for a shuttle to take you back to the port. There are alot of unknowns and it was too stressful to really enjoy the day. I am very travel savvy and did OK, I think most people would have a difficult time with this whole excursion. As for me, I am going to stay closer to the port next time. I understand Seven Mile Beach is just as beautifu, the snorkeling is way, way, better and there is less chance of not getting back to the ship on time. (Just my opinion!)"

Yes things can change in 6 years, but my experience while on Grand Cayman has not changed. I am simply sharing my personal experience. :-)

While I'm sure you did have the experience you described, mine has been much different. However, since we own a vacation home at Rum Point, and just got back Tuesday from our most recent trip there, I'd say that I'm fairly informed about the area as it is now. (Although, I have to admit we haven't had the food at Rum Point since March, but then the grill was open at lunchtime.)

Archived