Venice

ivori

Hi everyone we will be embarking on the celebrity silhouette today. We arrived in Venice on the 27th. Venice is an amazing city that getting lost is a must. If you are thinking about going to the secret rooms of the doge make your reservations early. We arrived about 1 hour before tour didn't have to wait on line got our tickets went for a little walk and the went back to doge and waited 10 min for tour to begin. It was very interesting.

My advice for eating is to go into the residential areas. I always looked for a place that didn't have a tourist menu and the food was very good. Definitely try to eat outside and watch the people and their dogs walk by. Will try to write a little everyday. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

I will look forward to reading the posts from your cruise.:) I am going on a 13 night Adriatic cruise departing from Venice. Don't suppose you could let us know when during your cruise the connections party was held. Would also be curious to see when the formal nights are.

Have a wonderful time

Rgds

Lydia

Hi everyone we will be embarking on the celebrity silhouette today. We arrived in Venice on the 27th. Venice is an amazing city that getting lost is a must. If you are thinking about going to the secret rooms of the doge make your reservations early. We arrived about 1 hour before tour didn't have to wait on line got our tickets went for a little walk and the went back to doge and waited 10 min for tour to begin. It was very interesting.

My advice for eating is to go into the residential areas. I always looked for a place that didn't have a tourist menu and the food was very good. Definitely try to eat outside and watch the people and their dogs walk by. Will try to write a little everyday. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Thank you for the advice! We're in Venice next month and I know it will be even more crowded that what you're experiencing now. I think your remark about going to the neighborhoods is perfect. When we were in Venice last October, that's exactly what we found. Everyone seems to congregate at St. Marks and Rialto Bridge, but if you wander away from there you can easily stumble across nice, quiet areas and see more of the "real" Venice.

IVORI,

I have family that will be on same cruise as you.

Has the earthquake in Italy affected Venice at all, or is everything ok there & cruise is still leaving as scheduled?

Thank you in advance.

No worries for Venice. The earthquake was centered just north of Bologna and while it was horrible and tragic for that part of Italy, its effects did not reach as far as Venice.

Thanks for your advice, we are cruising on the Silhouette next month and I'm looking forward to your review and posts:)

Hi everyone we will be embarking on the celebrity silhouette today. We arrived in Venice on the 27th. Venice is an amazing city that getting lost is a must. If you are thinking about going to the secret rooms of the doge make your reservations early. We arrived about 1 hour before tour didn't have to wait on line got our tickets went for a little walk and the went back to doge and waited 10 min for tour to begin. It was very interesting. My advice for eating is to go into the residential areas. I always looked for a place that didn't have a tourist menu and the food was very good. Definitely try to eat outside and watch the people and their dogs walk by. Will try to write a little everyday. If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Enjoy your cruise!! Great idea on sampling the more "normal" and very interesting residential areas away from the heavy tourist areas. Plus, eating outside is wonderful in order to soak up all of the charm and people-watching in this great city. Excellent port stops on your cruise. We super loved the Venice sailing out, plus Dubrovnik, Kotor, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 84,387 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I got off the cruise Wednesday so that you could get on. lol We loved Venice. We had great meals when visiting the ports. Portions were large enough that we could share a pasta and pizza between the 3 of us. For 2 you probably could share a pizza and salad. We saw a couple order fish for 2 and it was easily large enough to feed 4. One restaurant in Venice tried to talk us into a large pizza for 36E. We ordered 1 small and it was plenty. Can't remeber the days for formals but there were 3. First one was our first sea day and second was our day in Dubrovnick. The cruise was great

We took all private tours. We do not like ship sponsored tours. We did Capri on our own and took the shuttle from the ship to Ravenna. I would skip Ravenna and use it as a ship day. We took a cab in Dubrovnick withan hour tour above the city for 50E. Because we saw the city above, we did not do the cable car. Same sites seen by taxi but in comfort. Then he dropeed us off for the old town.

Archived