Preferences for Grand Turk

matt082600

When stopping at Grand Turk, do you prefer to get off the ship right at 7 AM (or as soon as you are allowed to) or do you prefer to wait?

Secondly, Do you prefer Jack's Shack or Local Village.

We will be visiting GT in a couple of weeks and I am curious as to people's prferences.

When stopping at Grand Turk, do you prefer to get off the ship right at 7 AM (or as soon as you are allowed to) or do you prefer to wait?

We will be visiting GT in a couple of weeks and I am curious as to people's prferences.

We got off when they let us and we just went and got our spot at the flow rider...best day ever!

We got off the boat at 730/8am, and had snorkeling at 830am. It was much better getting off and onto the islands earlier, in my opinion.

Edit:

Can't comment about Jack's Shack, or anything, we went through the shops, and ate at Margaritaville (way too expensive),

My preference is to take your time getting off the ship. Have breakfast. Lounge around. NONE of the spots are really open for full business that early. Preference is toward Local Village over Jack's. Jack's is an institution but of late it's drifting toward slothness and Topper will eat your burger. At LV, Arthur is still focusing on attracting folks with good customer service, bigger menu and decently priced drinks. Margaritaville is still Spring Break on Steroids.

Now if you are doing an excursion with Bohio Resort or the snorkeling/diving group that operates out if BR, then you're better leaving the ship early and enjoying the full excursion. Likewise with renting a golf cart/Jeep, see the island before the heat comes up. but Cockburntown won't be open until after 10AM.

The problem you have with GT arrival so early is you leave at 2PM, right in the middle of most things.

That's my 2 cents. Other with more money may beg to differ.:D

We were there in November and loved Jack's Shack. I thought the village was way too expensive. But that was our last stop and maybe I just wanted to chill by then.

Don't confuse Local Village with the cruise port shopping village/margaritaville. Totally different.

Don't confuse Local Village with the cruise port shopping village/margaritaville. Totally different.

I think that Local Village was the place between Margaritaville and Jack's Shack. I didn't even bother with Margaritaville - that costs almost as much as the ship! I wasn't impressed with Jack's Shack either. I liked Local Village the best. The conch fritters were a fun experiment, and the drinks were priced the best.

Jacks shack gets my vote

I'll be there in just a few days....I'll try to remember to report back!!

Ditto! We have a 9:30am excursion planned for Dune Buggys, so we'll probably enjoy a leisure breakfast on the ship and mosey off the ship around 9.

Benefit to letting the ship clear out before you leave: no Carnival photographers slowing you down on the gangway! :D

The only time we were there we got off, went to Margaritaville, and sat by the huge pool and had a couple of drinks. Then visited a couple of the shops there at the port before heading back to ship. Very nice, at least as far as my wife and I were concerned.

The only time we were there we got off, went to Margaritaville, and sat by the huge pool and had a couple of drinks. Then visited a couple of the shops there at the port before heading back to ship. Very nice, at least as far as my wife and I were concerned.

That's exactly what we did, except first we sat on a lounger on the beach, then trekked over to M'ville and watched "all the action." We didn't eat or drink...just hung out and watched and relaxed. Went back to the ship for food and our smuggled booze which was way cheaper! :p:rolleyes: So a "free" day on a beautiful island. I love Grand Turk!

Local Bar great service, went to Jack's Shack and met "Jack" he was not friendly :(!! Drinks were expensive, if I am going to pay I want it at a place that is at least friendly .

Has anyone taken a taxi into "town"? It it easy to get a taxi? And how much would it cost?

Oliver

Taxis are available at the cruise port. I think the rate to Zone B (middle of town) is $6 pp ($12 RT) points north like the lighthouse are $8 pp. Each way.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/islandinformation/taxi-information.aspx

Does going to Jack's Shack or Local Village require walking "in the sand"? I ask because DH is not a beach or sand person, but he will go to a beach bar while I enjoy the beach and water. A path on hard-packed sand would be okay, just not the loose sand for him.

Archived