Preferences for Grand Turk

matt082600

When stopping at Grand Turk, do you prefer to get off the ship right at 7 AM (or as soon as you are allowed to) or do you prefer to wait?

Secondly, Do you prefer Jack's Shack or Local Village.

We will be visiting GT in a couple of weeks and I am curious as to people's prferences.

Hi Matt,

We like to get off the ship right away at Grand Turk. Time is so limited at ports.

Been there 3 times so far, 7am arrival twice, & one 1pm arrival.

Typically we like to go directly into the ocean, stroll on the beach,

search for shells & enjoy what little time we have in paradise..

Then we are off to Jack's Shack & have a drink or two. And of course,

play with Topher (Jack's dog) for a lil' while.

We usually stop by Margaritaville for a dip in their pool. When finished, we grab

a Margaritaville pizza & additional drinks & take them to the beach to consume.

We rather eat/drink on the beach instead of at Margaritaville.

Then, before we go back to the ship, we walk to the (right) of the cruise terminal

and make our way to the (Conch Graveyard)...

:)

Does going to Jack's Shack or Local Village require walking "in the sand"? I ask because DH is not a beach or sand person, but he will go to a beach bar while I enjoy the beach and water. A path on hard-packed sand would be okay, just not the loose sand for him.

Also, how long of a walk is Local Village/ Jack's Shack. We have a bunch of kids and some senior citizens with us. Don't want to exhaust them.

Jack's Shack is a few hundred yards down the beach. 5 minutes, maybe 7. The jerk chicken is as good as I have had anywhere and I didn't think the drinks were expensive. I think $5 for a beer, but that has a lot of tax added in. They were very nice when we were there although the restrooms were a little sketchy! Can't wait to go back!!!!

On the Magic TA we were supposed to go to Grand Turk but a problem with one of the thrusters sent us to Freeport.

Our plan was to rent a golf cart for the day. Some were doing jeeps but the name of the place or person was Nathan and the cost for the day was $80. The cart seats four people.

I only have an email address for him if you want to check it out. Many of us were going to go together as a group so we were quite disappointed we didn't make it.:(

When stopping at Grand Turk, do you prefer to get off the ship right at 7 AM (or as soon as you are allowed to) or do you prefer to wait?

Secondly, Do you prefer Jack's Shack or Local Village.

We will be visiting GT in a couple of weeks and I am curious as to people's prferences.

We got off as soon as we could and spent the day at the beach snorkling , which was the best there, between the water being so clear and all the fish and so clean...Margaritaville went there for a bit, so expensive, but it is a fun place...Went later to Jacks Shack, oh yeah good drinks (have the sandy vagina), very good, and some good food as good prices! Just a nice place to hang out for a bit..Jack himself is a real nice guy , and you can't miss his digging dog (topher), too cute!

In my signature under my Miracle review I have some pics!

Jack's is NOT an easy walk down the beach. It is very loose powdery sand. It is a lot farther than it looks. Anyone with walking issues will not be able to walk the beach to get to it. You can walk the road behind the beach. It is about a 1/4 of a mile so maybe a good 10 minute walk ( or more if you have walking issues). I have been to Jack's twice . First time walked the beach, 2nd rented a golf cart from Nathan. The beach is beautiful there , no rocks, but I did not feel it was worth the walk. Drinks were more expensive there than on the ship. A rum and coke was $8 and on the ship only 4.50... a hotdog and just regualr frozen frenchfries was around 9 or 10 bucks and it was nothing special but I was hungry so I paid it. Eat before you go there.

Which one is closer to the Cruise Center? Local Village or Jack's Shack?

Local Village. I'll psot a picture later, photobucket not accessible at work. But you can see the LV flags and menu board from the ship when it docks.

Does going to Jack's Shack or Local Village require walking "in the sand"? I ask because DH is not a beach or sand person, but he will go to a beach bar while I enjoy the beach and water. A path on hard-packed sand would be okay, just not the loose sand for him.

Yes, as others have mentioned. Walking along the road is a lot longer, you need to go out of the cruiseport shopping area and taxi pickup zone then out the gate(no side walk along the road) then up the road. Mobility issues will make this a long haul.

Have DH wear sandals/flops and walk in the harder sand by the water, or jsut hang out at MV.

Local Village. I'll psot a picture later, photobucket not accessible at work. But you can see the LV flags and menu board from the ship when it docks.

Yes, as others have mentioned. Walking along the road is a lot longer, you need to go out of the cruiseport shopping area and taxi pickup zone then out the gate(no side walk along the road) then up the road. Mobility issues will make this a long haul.

Have DH wear sandals/flops and walk in the harder sand by the water, or jsut hang out at MV.

So, if walking the beach is not possible, do you recommend getting a cab?

Okay, so I don't see DH walking the beach as a option. I think I would be just as happy on the beach in front of Margarittaville. But do the drink servers roam the beach area or do you have to go up by the pool to get a drink? If so, can you bring it back to the beach?

I highly recommend snorkeling while at Grand Turk. Some of the best snorkeling anywhere. Lots of colorful fish!

We've never been to Grand Turk. Where did you snorkel? Do we need an excursion or is it easy enough to get a spot right off the beach somewhere? THANKS for the info!

We've never been to Grand Turk. Where did you snorkel? Do we need an excursion or is it easy enough to get a spot right off the beach somewhere? THANKS for the info!

The beach is on either side of the pier. To the left as you get off the pier is good. Have a good time!

My teens love the spring break atmosphere of Margaritaville so we tend to get off early and get chairs near the pool as early as possible...(the teens even are willing to get up early to find their spot for the day)...then if we want to wander down the beach later we do it while kids stay at Margaritaville....early in the afternoon the Ruby Princess also docked...then spots were really difficult to find about 1 p.m....and it was so much more crowded...thats when we usually head down to a local spot..

Has anyone ever been to the lighthouse? Is it worth the price? We usually just hang out at beaches when we go to the islands, but I am kind of feeling adventurous and wonder if we should get a taxi and see the lighthouse. Do you just go to the top and look around then go back to the beach and/or ship? TIA

We got off the boat right away and went to get a golf cart that we rented ahead of time from Nathan. After touring the island, we ate lunch at Jacks shack and didn't care for the food at all as it was really burnt and crispy. The snorkeling at Jacks was great though.

Has anyone ever been to the lighthouse? Is it worth the price? We usually just hang out at beaches when we go to the islands, but I am kind of feeling adventurous and wonder if we should get a taxi and see the lighthouse. Do you just go to the top and look around then go back to the beach and/or ship? TIA

We rented a golf cart from Nathan for $80 for the day and explored the island and went to the lighthouse but didn't go inside it. We found a beach and had it all to ourselves. The locals are extremely friendly and we felt very safe being on our own for the day.

We rented a golf cart from Nathan for $80 for the day and explored the island and went to the lighthouse but didn't go inside it. We found a beach and had it all to ourselves. The locals are extremely friendly and we felt very safe being on our own for the day.

We got off the boat right away and went to get a golf cart that we rented ahead of time from Nathan. After touring the island, we ate lunch at Jacks shack and didn't care for the food at all as it was really burnt and crispy. The snorkeling at Jacks was great though.

Archived