Guaranteed Cabin Notification

caroak

If you are booked in a "guaranteed" cabin at what point will you be advised of your cabin number?

There is no specific time frame. A stateroom will be assigned as soon as one becomes available.

Shari

Sharicruz6

Yes it does. Our group had their cabins assigned about 3 weeks before the cruise. All within a day of each other. Of course our cruise has had lots of activity in the booking department, or so it seems.

As others have posted, the assignment could be made at any time. We once were notified of a cabin assignment from our T/A just as we were about to leave for the plane. I've read of one that had not been assigned until arriving at check-in.

Not too worry - you are *guaranteed* to have a cabin and O absolutely sticks to that. On heavily booked sailings they do extraordinary work to ensure there is space for all and everyone gets at least what they booked. Some folks don't like not knowing and should not book GTY. I think of it as an 'extra' adding to the excitement and mystery of the adventure. Unlike some other vessels, for me there are no bad cabins on O's ships. Some might be preferred but none a bad choice.

All comes down to timing as well as supply & demand

We booked a B2B once & had wait listed for the same cabin on the 2nd leg we got it within 2weeks ..but that was w/l not GTY

Do not worry you will have a cabin someplace ;)

Lyn

While waiting on our GTY assignment I know several wait listed requests were fulfilled & assigned. I was surprised because I expected that the GTYs would be filled before the wait listed ones. However, being as a GTY is a paid booking and the wait lists are only a cancelable deposit, and might be filled at a higher price, I can understand why they 'd fill wait list requests before GTYs.

If though they anticipate more difficulty to fill all the requests, cabins will be earmarked for GTYs and leave the wait lists until late. Maximizing revenue is the key.

Sometimes they don't have one available at the time you book -- for the category you want. So they give you a "guarantee".

We had a guaranty for a PH3 when we booked the August Black Sea cruise last fall and a month or two ago they upgraded us to a PH2 with a specific cabin assignment. We're in a PH2 but we paid for a PH3.

Mura

I'm confused... why didn't you just pick a cabin when you booked?

Because all the cabins in that category were already booked.

What is a 'guaranteed' cabin vs. just booking one straight out?

Being as cruises are often booked far in advance of sailing the cruise lines accept more bookings for a category than they have cabins knowing that a certain number will not complete to final payment.

In O's case once all the cabins have been booked they sell a certain number of GTYs. Once those have been sold they will accept 'wait list' bookings. Those are not guaranteed a spot and if you are offered a cabin it is at the current price - some discounts or promotions might no longer be included.

The advantage with a GTY over a wait list is that you KNOW you WILL be on that cruise and can plan accordingly. You just do not get to choose the cabin you want. Popular categories on popular sailings can be wait listed very quickly when the itineraries are released so if you want to choose your cabin sometimes have to be quick.

Other cruise lines may sell GTYs while cabins are still available, usually at a discount. The trade off is saving few dollars and getting a cabin assigned like a hotel 'Run of the House' vs. selecting a specific cabin. On some cruise line's vessels a few cabins can be less desirable but especially on O's R-ships within a category they are the same except for location and that makes little difference to me on those ships.

I'm confused... why didn't you just pick a cabin when you booked? What is a 'guaranteed' cabin vs. just booking one straight out?

A "Guarantee" works like this:

The Client buys onto the cruise at a certain cabin level. In exchange for not being assigned into a specific cabin (which gives the cruise line flexiblity and wiggle room), the Client is "Guaranteed" that at a minimum they will be booked into that level cabin, or will be upgraded to a better cabin at no additional cost.

The lure for the client is the hope of a free upgrade, and the benefit to the cruise line is that they can fill the ship more efficiently.

The stepson of this process is the "Upsell", whereby clients who already HAVE specific cabins booked get the chance to "buy up" into a better cabin at a varying discount.

Clients seem to be preferring the Upsell method lately, despite the fact that it is usually more costly, because it gives the passenger more control (i.e. you know where you will be before you buy into something better).

Sometimes they don't have one available at the time you book -- for the category you want. So they give you a "guarantee".

We had a guaranty for a PH3 when we booked the August Black Sea cruise last fall and a month or two ago they upgraded us to a PH2 with a specific cabin assignment. We're in a PH2 but we paid for a PH3.

Mura

Mura,

Excuse me for intruding on this tread of a diffdernt topic but I wanted to ask you if you are familair with the piano of Brooks Aehron? I ask because I earlier noted your classical background.

Ron:)

Admittedly, I'm a newbie to CC as well as the whole cruise lifestyle. Only one cruise in our history; a Carnival vacation five years ago which probably doesn't count for anything among this esteemed crowd. We've booked an O cruise for 2013 for our 25th and are assiduously following Riviera news here.

Question: is there a FAQ where newbies can become familar with all the acronyms? I've looked for a glossary but can't locate one.

In this thread, I'm wondering about all the references to GTV's. I assume the first letter refers to "guaranteed" from the discussions but from there I'm lost. "Travel Vouchers?" Maybe.

Also, I keep seeing B2B's. No idea. Is there a glossary anywhere? There are more I keep coming across and I need a lookup until I learn all the conventions used here.

Pardon the interruption. And thanks for the help.

Admittedly, I'm a newbie to CC as well as the whole cruise lifestyle. Only one cruise in our history; a Carnival vacation five years ago which probably doesn't count for anything among this esteemed crowd. We've booked an O cruise for 2013 for our 25th and are assiduously following Riviera news here.

Question: is there a FAQ where newbies can become familar with all the acronyms? I've looked for a glossary but can't locate one.

In this thread, I'm wondering about all the references to GTV's. I assume the first letter refers to "guaranteed" from the discussions but from there I'm lost. "Travel Vouchers?" Maybe.

Also, I keep seeing B2B's. No idea. Is there a glossary anywhere? There are more I keep coming across and I need a lookup until I learn all the conventions used here.

Pardon the interruption. And thanks for the help.

Welcome to CC and O's board.

Sorry if i confused things. I was using 'GTY' (a 'Y' not a 'V') as an acronym for "Guarantee' booking. That is the code Oceania uses on the invoice if you don't have a cabin number on such a booking. I doubley apologize because I generally dislike acronyms and complain (muttering to myself) when I see them so overused at work.

So please excuse my use of GTY - I misspell guarantee often:)

B2B is for 'back to back': two cruises on the same ship in a row; staying on board for the next leg

Just to make it complicated, you get an acronym like "TA" which can mean two different things in different contexts: "travel agent", as in, "you should get a good TA to help you", and "transatlantic", as in, "I'm going on a TA from Barcelona to Miami next year".

Fun, eh?

Thanks, Leyla, and all others for your patience with a newbie and your help. I'm very excited about my upcoming O cruise and appreciate all the info I've gathered here on CC.

As a person with very limited experience with this lifestyle, I'm very surprised that people taking back-to-back cruises is so common that the B2B acronym had to be initiated to accomodate them. If I'm fortunate, maybe someday I'll get to use it myself!

S O B

Sweet Ol Bob

Ron ... I can't say that I am!

Mura

Brooks gave several concerts on our Spledour Of The Seas crossing many years ago. I can't carry a tune but throughly enjoyed his vast range. I believe he was admitted to the London School of Music ar age seven or nine. His talent at the piano is accompanied by his entertaining narative. I think of him on the piano as I do John Maxtone Graham lecturing on trans-Atlantic crossing lore. Both Brits how I'd love to have both on the same ship if Graham is still with us.

Brooks has since contracted with Celebrity. I have three of his CD's.:cool:

Archived