Skagway: if you have a choice of times?

cruisingrightalong

I've gone for the noon train - in the event that its very foggy in the morning, there's more chance it will have lifted by the afternoon?

This is not accurate information. The chances of "fog/mist" can happen also in the afternoon. An afternoon booking can be less than ideal, since it offers some time before and after the tour. It may be of benefit to have a large block of time available, by taking the first or last train ride then doing something. You wouldn't be rushed on a shorter time schedule.

IMHO this is a personal choice based on what other things you want to do or have scheduled.

As BQ said I don't think weather should swing you one way or other. Weather is weather and there are no gurantees trying to guess that.

Skagway if you have a choice of times...take the morning train or the afternoon train?

Lou

It really would depend on what you wanted to do....Skagway didn't have much to it in terms of town. The train drops you in town and you can walk the town and see the shops, grab a bite and be done in a few hours - depending on how much you shop. There is even a shuttle to take you from the town to the ship for a couple bucks. We took the early train so we could stroll, had lunch at Red Onion Saloon (it was OK but not something I would repeat), strolled the shops and was back on the ship in plenty of time.

I was glad we had van tour when we were there

It was totally totally fogged in

Tom did an expert job of driving us up and above the fog which seemed to clear up the higher we went. The train trip would have been fogged in

JMO>>> you may wish to book some of this stuff in port despite what people here tell may you

the train could have been booked (or skipped) in port

also Juneau was fogged...the tram was not good I heard cause of the fog

In Juneau you can book the tram on the ground IF weather is clear

otherwise skip it too JMO

I heard from people who took the am train that they saw nothing and the train also broke down ...they brought in another engine after sitting around

they gave them a cap for their troubles

Heard that it broke down 2x in all that day

(Friday May 25)

One of the gals in my group took the am train and was very unhappy

she also did the Carnival dog camp tour in afternoon and wasn't real thrilled with that...

said the talk was interesting but they only got a 5 minute ride

I was really really glad I saved $$, did van tour to Yukon then sled dogs there at Cariboo Crossing...we had an extra long ride and so much fun

hth

I have been going back and forth myself on what to do about this myself. We are on Princess departing Vancouver June 23rd and I think that I am going to wait and see what the weather is like when we are in Skagway and have all my option information available and see what develops.

That is why I liked booking our tour with Dyea Dave - we got to evaluate that morning if we wanted to do the train in the morning or in the afternoon or not at ALL! The day we were there it was very foggy in the morning, but you could tell the sun was coming out and would burn it off by afternoon - so we got afternoon train tickets and it was PERFECT!! We had a wonderful morning all the way into Canada with Dyea Dave in his van and then he dropped us off at the Frazier station and we had magnificent views coming back, totally different than our views on the way up! Cannot say enough good things about Dyea Dave - so accomodating - took us right to the train station to buy our tickets on the way out of town!

Okay here are our options....bus up in morning and train back...be in Skagway by lunch....then do our walking tour with me as a "reading" guide that I printed off and seeing the nps movie in town.

OR, train up in morning and bus back.....same thing

OR, do my walking tour in morning.....catch the BUS up at like 1 p.m. and train back? kinda where I am leaning.

Any opinions?

Lou

Okay here are our options....bus up in morning and train back...be in Skagway by lunch....then do our walking tour with me as a "reading" guide that I printed off and seeing the nps movie in town.

OR, train up in morning and bus back.....same thing

OR, do my walking tour in morning.....catch the BUS up at like 1 p.m. and train back? kinda where I am leaning.

Any opinions?

Lou

Go with where you are "leaning"???? None of these are preferable over the others.

Archived