A few random questions on beverage cards (plus a bonus laundry question)

Doh15

I had a few random questions floating around that I thought I would ask for clarification on. Thanks in advance for helping a HAL newbie--

If I buy the $250 beverage card (which I think sells for $225) and use less than $225, will they credit me back the difference (and what would I have to do to get the credit)?

Note: when I say "credit" I mean offset any charges on my account, but also refund to my credit card any excess-- if they would be willing to offset charges on my account but not give a refund to my credit card, please correct my mistake. [Edited to add: Or, if things I book with my credit card before sailing, like excursions, Pinnacle, or spa treatments, are available to offset a credit, that would be good to know too]

If I buy the $250 beverage card and then later decide to buy the suite amenities package for 2 (both before sailing), will they give me a $100 credit in place of the two $50 beverage cards? (Alternatively, would they let me cancel the $250 beverage card?)

Is the beverage card used for paying for drinks (other than water/juice/lemonade/coffee/tea) at dinner?

If we drink alcohol, but don't go crazy (say 2, maybe 3 drinks a day, including meals) is $10-15/day/pax a reasonable estimate, or is that overly optimistic?

and last,

Can anyone sign up for unlimited laundry (and use it) on the first day, or is that somehow limited to suite pax?

thanks!

I'm new too, so can't help with much, but when I looked into (and got) our Soda cards, we were told that the remaining balance or the purchase price, whichever is less would be credited to our onboard account....that is all i can say:)

We don't use the drink cards but doubt you can get a refund.

But you sure can signup for unlimited laundry any time you wish.

Is the alternative to the drink cards using your cabin card to charge to the room?

Leaving aside buying a gift for someone, and the discount for buying a soda card or a $250 beverage card, would there be any reason at all to get a beverage card?

As far as the $250 beverage card, I had on (but used it up), but here is the way I understood it. If you use less than $225 you are refunded the difference between what you used and $225. If you used more than $225 there would be no refund. In effect, the discount comes last.

Rich

Is the alternative to the drink cards using your cabin card to charge to the room?
That is correct

Leaving aside buying a gift for someone, and the discount for buying a soda card or a $250 beverage card, would there be any reason at all to get a beverage card?

no real reason otherwise, other than it might be a little move convenient.

Yes, you charge things to your room. We've never found a reason t use any of the cards unless there was a discount. You're told that it's "convenient" - but you should always have your room key with you, why carry two cards?

We used the beverage card and found we liked using it more than using the room card for each drink purchase. The reason for that is that there is only one charge to the onboard account. Not a separate entry for every drink you purchased. We just saved one receipt. When we bought the next beverage we compared the total and then kept the new slip. Much easier to spot discrepancies then if we waited for a print out of our account.

We did buy the $225 card for our 14 day cruise. The 10% discount for us is better than paying the full price. But I probably would use the card without a discount on a shorter cruise just for the ease of reviewing our account. What I can't understand is why HAl doesn't merge this with your room card. There really should be no need for 2 separate cards.

Just a note of caution. We were told by a bartender that there were 2 cards, one for drinks and 1 for sodas. He did not tell us we could use our drinks card for soda purchases. There is no need to buy 2 different cards as I found out after our cruise.

If I buy the $250 beverage card and then later decide to buy the suite amenities package for 2 (both before sailing), will they give me a $100 credit in place of the two $50 beverage cards? (Alternatively, would they let me cancel the $250 beverage card?)

We've turned in for credit $50 beverage cards that we recieved as gifts, so you could certainly turn in the $250 card. Whether you could get credit for unneeded cards that are part of a package I can't say.

Is the beverage card used for paying for drinks (other than water/juice/lemonade/coffee/tea) at dinner? Yes. You can buy bottles of wine with it also.

If we drink alcohol, but don't go crazy (say 2, maybe 3 drinks a day, including meals) is $10-15/day/pax a reasonable estimate, or is that overly optimistic? Two $6 drinks plus the 15% service charge would be $13.80.

and last,

Can anyone sign up for unlimited laundry (and use it) on the first day, or is that somehow limited to suite pax? Anyone can buy the unlimited laundry.

There is no need to buy 2 different cards as I found out after our cruise.
Except that the soda card gives you a 50% discount, not 10%.

Having never used a drink card until the last cruise, nor really understood how it all worked, I can say I am glad for good advice on this forum and from others. We bought a drink card for our Eurodam trans-atlantic this Spring, bought the $250 value for $225. As an earlier poster stated, having the drink card makes your final statement much less cluttered with drinks orders--you just have the card purchase.

As has been said, if you do not use up to the amount paid ($225) then you are refunded the differential from what you used to what you paid. Thus, no risk of loss, you come out even. On a longer cruise, however, we had no problem using the drink card.

In addition to the discount via the card, you likely will also be able to use your card for the "happy hour" specials, which typically now are pay a dollar for a second drink, usually going on in one or more the bars at times noted in the daily program. Thus, you are in effect "double-dipping" on the discount when you use your card in this way.

I was not able to combine it with my 4 star Mariner status on the wine package where I already get 50% off the price of the wine package--would be nice but I understand there are limits. Generally, we were convinced with how easy the drink cards work, and will use them again when circumstances warrant--a longer cruise to obtain the discount.

Laundry package, the original poster asked about this: My practise if not in a deluxe suite is to book the laundry package for the cruise on day 1, at the front office, although that no longer may be required--your cabin stewards will know. As we are usually in Florida for a couple of days prior to boarding the ship we will send some laundry in the first night, after unpacking.

Hope these comments are useful.

This is my first HAL cruise. So are the beverage cards the only option for soda purchases on HAL? I know that the other cruise lines that I've used have had one flat rate for unlimited sodas for the duration of the cruise?

Also, is it really true that HAL lets you bring your own beverages, inluding sodas, on board?

This is my first HAL cruise. So are the beverage cards the only option for soda purchases on HAL? I know that the other cruise lines that I've used have had one flat rate for unlimited sodas for the duration of the cruise?

Also, is it really true that HAL lets you bring your own beverages, inluding sodas, on board?

The beverage cards can be used for soda purchases on HAL. You can buy a soda card which is basically 1/2 price but it's not unlimited.

and yes on HAL you can bring all the soda, wine, water (basically anything but liquor or beer) on board for consumption in your cabin. anywhere else and you do pay a corkage fee:) Makes it worthwhile to have some room in your cabin in some ways;)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

Yes -- if you go for the Suite amenities package you can cancel the $250 Beverage card. You will be credited with shipboard credit -- it will not be credited back to your credit card. If you can decide whether to prepurchase the Beverage Card -- you can wait until you are on the ship to buy one.

Should there be any credits left money wise on your shipboard account -- you will be called to the front office the last morning of the cruise and be given cash.

Yes, you charge things to your room. We've never found a reason t use any of the cards unless there was a discount. You're told that it's "convenient" - but you should always have your room key with you, why carry two cards?

We prefer to use to buy and use the Beverage cards. That way I don't have to keep all those receipts.

By buying the cards it certainly does make it easier to check our shipbpard account at the end of the cruise.

We plan on buying a $50 soda card (for $25) for the kids to share and the $250 (for $225) drink card for us (the parents, and kids if they run out). We figure the kids will use up the soda purchases no problem, and then we can all dip into our other card. Worst case, we break even on the $225 card since we aren't huge drinkers, but either way the kids are getting half price sodas.

Partial quote

...If we drink alcohol, but don't go crazy (say 2, maybe 3 drinks a day, including meals) is $10-15/day/pax a reasonable estimate, or is that overly optimistic?...

Yes, I would say that is overly optimistic, based on my limited experience, unless you drink beer or 'house' wine. Consider also that every beverage purchase includes a 15% auto tip. I think it depends on what type of drink you enjoy, but your estimate of $5.oo per drink including service charge seems low to me.

Here is a Bar Menu that lists many of the drinks that you can get -- it will give you some idea of the prices of drinks:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1528067

Fabulous link! Thank you!

Can anyone tell me from experience, if I buy the beverage card, can anyone in my party use it, or will it have my name and I have to go up and buy all the drinks? Same question with the kids... if I buy a soda card for my kids to share, will they have to get me to buy them a soda with the card?

Archived