Poll: Is The Sanctuary in Alaska worth it?

glmpearce

Is The Sanctuary worth is on the Sapphire in Alaska?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is The Sanctuary worth is on the Sapphire in Alaska?

• Totally! Book the whole week!
    • It's worth it for a special viewing day; like Glacier Bay.
    • It's worth it if they are running a special and you can get a bargian.
    • Eh, take it or leave it.
    • No way! Save your money for an amazing Alaskan outing!!!

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are on the Sapphire in July going from Vancouver to Whittier. We are interested for ourselves and others if The Sanctuary is worth it.

My predication for this poll is that I am a single parent with a VERY well behaved child. However, she will not be with me this trip. I am sensitive to parents who do not take care of their children properly, but am willing to move to get away from those who offend me. With that in mind, please vote away!!! Thank you!

Our Alaskan cruise was in early August several years ago and it was too cold to enjoy my balcony most of the time. I wouldn't pay to use the Sanctuary in Alaska. Caribbean, Hawaii, Panama Canal... yes. Alaska... no.

I think that the Sanctuary was only open one day on the Star cruise we just completed. But it was one of the first cruises of the season - you may have wonderful weather in July.

Although I voted take it or leave it, I would likely leave it. I didn't think it was all that attractive a space on the Star. And we only had 75 kids onboard, so they were seldom a bother. Just a couple of runners whose parents should have had more control over them, no biggie.

Will you have a balcony? If so, I'd skip the Sanctuary. Another consideration is that the Alaskan cruises are pretty port intensive. Are you going ashore in every port? You wouldn't have much time to use the Sanctuary.

We sailed on the Diamond, the sister ship, on the Inside passage and never had a thought about using it. There was so much to see, and we had a balcony cabin in the first place, it was totally unnecessary. We also never used any of the pools. We did go in early September though. there are some great viewing areas, including the promenade deck at the bow. We saw a number of whales from that position when cruising.

Have a great cruise! Alaska is both different and amazing.

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are on the Sapphire in July going from Vancouver to Whittier. We are interested for ourselves and others if The Sanctuary is worth it.

My predication for this poll is that I am a single parent with a VERY well behaved child. However, she will not be with me this trip. I am sensitive to parents who do not take care of their children properly, but am willing to move to get away from those who offend me. With that in mind, please vote away!!! Thank you!

Too cold to enjoy the sanctuary. Save your money.

There are other places that are child-free zones. Plus the Alaskan itineraries don't attract as many families with children as Caribbean cruises. I think children are usually better behaved when they can't gang up with others.

• 2 weeks later...

On our first Princess cruise last summer to Alaska i learned about the Sanctuary. I went up and took a look and immediately knew it was likely not anything I would use for Alaska. Caribbean or other warm itineraries, maybe. They did try to sell me on the Glacier Bay day and I figured I'd just wait until that day to decide. We had an inside cabin so no balcony. it was rainy on that day and the glaciers were best viewed from the promenade deck. I was very happy I did not pay in advance.

We went up there later to see if anyone was using it and it was closed anyway....I don't think it was open any day for the cruise.

I also don't recall seeing many children (maybe 20 total..) so if folks use it as an "adult" only retreat, you could get that anywhere on board. There might be value in a nice, but cool day as they do wait on you and bring hot chocolate, blankets, etc.

Archived