Living full-time on a Princess ship?

PunkiC

Getting packages(with medications) and even letters through customs to foreign countries,even using FedEx takes well over a week. I recently had to send letters to former students of mine in England and Copenhagen by FedEx and I was told that the letters would arrive in the country in 2days time but expect at least a week longer for those letters to arrive at their intended destinations-and it did take that long.

Perhaps finding reliable pharmacies in various ports who can connect electronically with US based pharmacies would be the way to go for getting refills?

Pam--

First let me say that I have been "reading" you for a while now and appreciate all your info.. However, if your MD writes you a Rx for a drug for double your dose( 2 daily if you are only taking 1 daily), the MD is really comitting insurance fraud and if caught, could get into big trouble.. The insurance companies have the ability to audit pharmacies and MDs if they think somrthing just isn't right.

The other aspect that really concerns me is if you are hospitalized somewhere and unable to communicate....when reading your pill bottles, the healthcare providers may administer twice your normal dose!

Well, I've never heard of such of year round cruise program. I'm sure you could work out anything with the cruise line if you wanted. So $57K / 365 = $156 + $2 tip per day. Not bad, but for a small inside cabin. Yikes!! But there had been several well known cases of people living on cruise ship. Loraine Artz and her husband sailed in the top suite on several of the Princess ship for 11 years, but I'm sure they paid much more than $57K a year!!!! Here an interesting interview I found with Loraine by USA Today.

By Gene Sloan, USA TODAY (2007)

There are people who cruise a little and people who cruise a lot. And then there's Lorraine Artz, 80, of Beverly Hills, Calif. The former dancer has spent nearly all of the past two decades at sea. A growing legend in the cruise world, Artz sails so often on Princess Cruises — at least 10 months a year — that the line just named her godmother of the new Royal Princess (which is fitting, as she recently moved onto it full time). USA TODAY's Gene Sloan spoke to Artz by phone during a port call in Israel.

Q: I'm told you hold the record for days at sea. How many is it?

A: As of today, I think it's 4,120. But I don't have my little book with me.

Q: And this all began when?

A: In the early '70s on a ship called the Spirit of London. (Sun Princess) At the time, I didn't know about cruising. We got on the ship in Los Angeles, and it was a little tiny cabin. It certainly was not comfortable. I just hung my clothes in the shower; that's how small it was. But after that first night on board, my husband and I said to each other, "We'll never travel any other way again."

Q: What hooked you?

A: It was so easy. On a cruise ship, everything is done for you. You have a room that is spotlessly clean. There is a room steward that takes care of your every need. There are shows, gambling, magnificent food. We'd done a lot of land travel before this, and it's hard work to land travel!

Q: Still, 4,120 days. That's the equivalent of more than 11 years. Doesn't it get boring?

A: I've got a standard answer for that, which is the smart-ass answer: Only boring people get bored.

Let me give you a little scenario of a day onboard. (After some time ashore) you return to the ship and get ready for the evening. You go down to one of the many bars, and you have a drink. You spend an hour relaxing with friends, and most of my friends, of course, are crewmembers.

(Then) you go into a beautiful dining room with a menu that any fine restaurant would be pleased to present, and when dinner is finished you have options. You either go to a movie or a production show or a comedian or a magic show. And then you go to sleep in a comfortable bed, and you wake up the next morning, open your drapes and you're in another country.

How anyone can be bored on a cruise ship, I don't know.

Q: Is part of the allure seeing lots of places?

A: It is, and it isn't. I like to see (different) countries. But for me, the best part is the life aboard. I came back to sea about a month after my husband died (five years ago), and from the moment I boarded, it was like I had this enormous family that cared what was happening with me. I didn't realize it at first, but (members of the crew) were taking intervals not leaving me alone.

Q: How many countries have you visited?

A: You know, I've never counted. But I've been pretty much around the world — India, China, Vietnam, Thailand, England, Scandinavia, Russia.

Q: Even suites on ships aren't that big. How do you manage?

A: Doesn't seem to bother me. I'm very comfortable. That's why I sold my house. I didn't feel like I needed it. Remember, you've got a whole ship there. You're not confined to your room in any way.

Q: And what happens when you leave the ship?

A: I keep the cabin all year, even when I'm not here, so I don't have to pack and unpack.

Q: I've got to ask: Do you ever get seasick?

A: Never (laughing). I grew up in the U.K., and I used to go fishing with my father in the Irish Sea. Do you know how rough that is?

Q: What's your favorite place to cruise?

A: I'd say Chile. The fiords are magnificent. I've been in Norwegian fiords and Alaskan fiords, and they don't compare to Chile's.

Q: Least favorite?

A: The Caribbean. Forty years ago, the Caribbean was wonderful. But now you go into a Caribbean port and there are seven ships a day there, it's crowded and (the locals) stand there with their hands out.

Q: How much longer do you expect to keep this up?

A: Until I die (laughter). I'd like to be buried at sea, but they don't allow it! When my husband died, this is what I put on his tombstone: "If you don't mind. I'd rather be cruising." And I've also ordered my own, and do you know what that says? "Me, too."

Love it and love her.

In my experience, insurance companies are less likely to grant vacation overrides several months in the future. Whereas I would have no trouble getting a two month supply on a monthly prescription once or twice a year, I can't do it more often than that or for multiple months at a time. And on a 3-month prescription, my insurance company absolutely won't authorize a 6-month supply to be filled at one time. It's a bit of a problem.

I take meds also. The ships have a home port, why not get the meds when you come home (port).

I take meds also. The ships have a home port, why not get the meds when you come home (port).

We were quite set with this considering turnaround days were in Fort Lauderdale until our insurance carrier dropped Walgreens (or vice versa?) at the end of last year. That really complicated things all around.

Pam, I got off this past Saturday from the Sapphire Princess Alaska Cruise and my waiter over hear me talking about Ms. Lorraine and my waiter mention that Ms. Lorraine was on the Sapphire Princess about a month ago for about 10 days, and she hasn't been doing well. Health wise that is.

We were on the 28 day October 2011 Sapphire to Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti and she was aboard. She sat at the table next to us at late dining seating. She go off at Honolulu which was about 7 days into the cruise.

Edited by JLC@SD

It's actually very simple. You need to request prior approval from the Princess Marine Department, the ship needs to be at least 12 miles from shore, and the remains need to be in either a biodegradable container or distributed directly (which is what we did.) I contacted the Purser's Desk after boarding, they consulted with the Navigator and then gave me some day/time options. A little bit of effort and not complicated at all.

We are clearly talking at cross purposes.

A cremation and scattering of ashes would be a straightforward exercise, however, I was meaning a body burial at sea, which is obviously a totally different proposition.

Getting packages(with medications) and even letters through customs to foreign countries,even using FedEx takes well over a week. I recently had to send letters to former students of mine in England and Copenhagen by FedEx and I was told that the letters would arrive in the country in 2days time but expect at least a week longer for those letters to arrive at their intended destinations-and it did take that long.

Perhaps finding reliable pharmacies in various ports who can connect electronically with US based pharmacies would be the way to go for getting refills?

Can't the ship's medical officer prescribe, based on a letter from your regular doctor ?

Any medicines not onboard can easily be located at next port of call ?

Just thinking out aloud !!!

flamomo, what the gentlman to whom you are referring from Kentucky? If so that is probably the same man who gave us this information.

Yes he was!!!

They were a delightful couple, and his tales about many things were quite entertaining. We spoke to a number of fellow passengers who reported him telling the same things about living on a ship to them.

I have since wondered if they implemented their plans.

Pam--

First let me say that I have been "reading" you for a while now and appreciate all your info.. However, if your MD writes you a Rx for a drug for double your dose( 2 daily if you are only taking 1 daily), the MD is really comitting insurance fraud and if caught, could get into big trouble.. The insurance companies have the ability to audit pharmacies and MDs if they think somrthing just isn't right.

Man, she was just trying to be helpful. Anyway, being in the medical field myself, this is the least of the medical fields problems. Any "good" doctor would do this for a patient once in a while. If you have a good, standing relationship with your doctor it is part of being a good provider. When I was caring for my dying mother, I am sure her MD did things he shouldn't have, according to insurance, but he is a hero in my mind for actually caring about his patient and their needs. WHY, WHY, WHY are we letting insurance companies dictate our medical care............okay, I feel better now:D Happy cruising!

Another problem would be perscription medicines.

My wife is on one that is quitte expensive, so the insurance company only authorizes one month at a time. They have co-operated when we are on 45 day trips by appoving two months before we left. Not sure how it would work to get 4 or 6 months at a time.

You might check and see if this is one of the drugs which is considerably less expensive overseas. Can you order 3 month supply mail order? Your other option is to have the medicine sent to a port. See if you can use your insurers mail order program. Have them ship to a temporary address. You'll have to pay shipping costs but they might (should?) be willing to ship early so you'll have the medicine on time. You might be able to get approval for a 3 month supply but I'd be shocked if you could get more. Arranging to have the medicine shipped is probably the best solution.

My pharmacist told me the trick is to have your doctor write the prescription for twice the number of pills per month. Insurance objects to the timing of the refills, not the number of pills. Also, there's a grace period of about five days so I make sure I get my prescriptions refilled at 26 days for several months running. That accumulates enough extra pills so I don't have to request a vacation override.

Most doctors won't write a script telling you to take 2 pills a day but then verbally tell you to take one. It's not only insurance fraud but can lead to malpractice issues if you take the medicine as prescribed (listed on the bottle). It won't work if the medication is available in a strength double what you take and if the pill can't be split (capsule).

Some mail order programs will let you order a refill of a 90 day supply after 60 days. Relatively easy to to build up a vacation supply. An increasing number of popular medications are going generic. Prices may be lower then your copay. I doubt your suggestion will help Paul. It's an expensive drug and requires approval. I'm sure the insurance company is aware of the correct dosage.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

You might check and see if this is one of the drugs which is considerably less expensive overseas. Can you order 3 month supply mail order? Your other option is to have the medicine sent to a port. See if you can use your insurers mail order program. Have them ship to a temporary address. You'll have to pay shipping costs but they might (should?) be willing to ship early so you'll have the medicine on time. You might be able to get approval for a 3 month supply but I'd be shocked if you could get more. Arranging to have the medicine shipped is probably the best solution.

Most doctors won't write a script telling you to take 2 pills a day but then verbally tell you to take one. It's not only insurance fraud but can lead to malpractice issues if you take the medicine as prescribed (listed on the bottle). It won't work if the medication is available in a strength double what you take and if the pill can't be split (capsule).

Some mail order programs will let you order a refill of a 90 day supply after 60 days. Relatively easy to to build up a vacation supply. An increasing number of popular medications are going generic. Prices may be lower then your copay. I doubt your suggestion will help Paul. It's an expensive drug and requires approval. I'm sure the insurance company is aware of the correct dosage.

At this point, we are not planning to move to a ship, so it is not an issue for us. I was just raising the issue in case anyone thinking of moving to sea might have this problem.

Yes, we could probably make arrangements to get the drugs sent to us on the ship, probably via the ship agent in a port. However, I am not sure I would want to depend on that working.

As to buying overseas, the drug may be cheaper there, but our co-pay is less than 1% of the cost, so we are unlikely to find that savings.

For the last couple of years, we have averaged about twice a year being gone longer than the one month supply lasts. In all cases, the insurance company has approved giving my wife a two month supply before we left. This has be enough to last until we are home and able to get the next month delivered, so it has not been a problem.

So if you live on a ship full time, do you pay state taxes or just federal taxes? Come income tax time who does your taxes. Do you get snail mail or is everything done over the Internet? Also can't a doctor legally prescribe you your medication with a large dose and then you simply cut the pills in half with the knowledge from the doctor that you are doing this? What about getting to a dentist or eye doctor, do you schedule appointments for these while you are in certain ports? So many questions as I don't understand the logistics of even being able to cruise for 6 months let alone years.

At this point, we are not planning to move to a ship, so it is not an issue for us. I was just raising the issue in case anyone thinking of moving to sea might have this problem.

I didn't think you were but it sounds like you take B2B2B cruises. The issue can affect people who are going to be gone more then 2 weeks. I didn't know if my suggestions might help you. It still might help another person reading this thread.

A real problem is people taking controlled drugs which can only be dispensed with a one month (or less) supply and which vacation exceptions are not available.

So if you live on a ship full time, do you pay state taxes or just federal taxes? Come income tax time who does your taxes. Do you get snail mail or is everything done over the Internet? Also can't a doctor legally prescribe you your medication with a large dose and then you simply cut the pills in half with the knowledge from the doctor that you are doing this? What about getting to a dentist or eye doctor, do you schedule appointments for these while you are in certain ports? So many questions as I don't understand the logistics of even being able to cruise for 6 months let alone years.

Not sure about taxes. Would depend on the country and state you are/were a resident of. If you maintain an address for driver's license, voting, etc. that could affect it. I assume you would handle the taxes as you do on land. Do it yourself, go to a tax service like H&R Block or go to a CPA.

You could have your mail sent to a friend or family member who could bundle up the important stuff and send it to you at an upcoming port.

Doctor cannot fudge perscription as suggested.

Dentist, eye doctoe, etc. schedule in advance in ports. Or, as Lorraine did, go home every 6 months to take care of.

Not sure about taxes. Would depend on the country and state you are/were a resident of. If you maintain an address for driver's license, voting, etc. that could affect it. I assume you would handle the taxes as you do on land. Do it yourself, go to a tax service like H&R Block or go to a CPA.

You could have your mail sent to a friend or family member who could bundle up the important stuff and send it to you at an upcoming port.

Dentist, eye doctoe, etc. schedule in advance in ports. Or, as Lorraine did, go home every 6 months to take care of.

We have no state tax, we do ours on line thru Turbo Tax, we take no meds that couldn't be bought out of the country and voting is not a major priority. We have been away 10 weeks and aiming for a World cruise. Only thing stopping us is Mike. ;)

WOW, you answered all my questions, thanks!. I already knew that we could never do this. Even a world tour would be difficult because hubby is on a controlled substance. He hates having to take it too. But we also have high hopes of him getting a back treatment that will take him off the controlled substance. We never give up.

Another question would be could we change ships?

I really love the idea of living on a ship (no utilities, no cable, no groceries, etc.), so that it makes the $57,000 a great deal.

All we need now is two to three years' worth, and lo and behold, we would be gone!

I just ran to my husband's room and told him about it. He's already told me he wants to do this on the Sapphire, but I would like some variety...

There is obviously malpractice and insurance fraud, and then there is reality.

If one takes a prescription medication that is non-controlled and for which the dosage is X unless symptoms worsen, and then it's Y, the doctor (in my experience) is going to prescribe for Y and over time the inventory of the drug does accumulate. If one has to pay a high co-pay, this can be advantageous; if one cruises for longer than 90 days at a time, it can also be advantageous.

And then there are those drugs that come bubble packed, with the intent of taking them X number of times daily, maybe even with the day of the week printed on the packaging. I can't imagine a doctor writing a prescription for a greater number of the medication than the standard, nor can I imagine an insurance company paying it (I REALLY can't imagine that! :rolleyes:). Maybe some doctors will prescribe higher dosages that can be split...I kind of doubt mine would. But one of my docs suggested how I can use an ampule drug for two doses instead of one, because it's an expensive drug that would otherwise have a lot of waste, and the open shelf life allows for it. I don't think that's against the rules, but I'm no expert.

But these are exactly the sorts of things to be considered with any longer cruise, such as a World Cruise, let alone living on a ship 365 days a year. The other (I've learned) is to schedule routine check ups such that followup care can be completed in the time allowed (especially the case with dental and vision care) but still meet insurance reimbursement requirements for the minimum time between appointments. I've paid a premium to have a crown expedited and then still been in a dental chair late the evening before we left for a cruise while the final adjustments to it were made, which was a bit stressful.

On our last cruise we ran into a guy who told us that he had made arrangements to live on a Princess ship. According to him, for $57K+ per year you could get an inside cabin on any ship, but you had to sign a contract for the full year and pay up front--no refunds. The gratuity in this instance was $2.00 per person, per day.

He said there were currently something like 115 couples who were living full-time on Princess ships.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Look up a cruise ship that calls itself the world. Condo type operation, You buy the cabin, big bucks, pay your share of the ships expenses condo fees, your own exenses. Ship keeps going on and on etc.

Look up a cruise ship that calls itself the world. Condo type operation, You buy the cabin, big bucks, pay your share of the ships expenses condo fees, your own exenses. Ship keeps going on and on etc.

There is no comparison of the two type of ships. The World is only for multi millionaires and for most the cost is prohibitive. Plus, the World has very little in common with a cruise ship. There are no production shows or daily entertainment. It's like saying I live in a little studio beach cottage or a mansion. Like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different atmosphere.

flamomo, what the gentlman to whom you are referring from Kentucky? If so that is probably the same man who gave us this information.

Yes he was!!!

They were a delightful couple, and his tales about many things were quite entertaining. We spoke to a number of fellow passengers who reported him telling the same things about living on a ship to them.

I have since wondered if they implemented their plans.

Mary Lou - those are my friends, Graeme and Patti. I met them in 2010, and they have stayed with me several times when cruising out of or transiting through Los Angeles. They recently took the Caribbean Princess to England, and now they're waiting to board the Queen Mary 2 on Sunday to return home.

Yes, Graeme is quite a talker. I was surprised that they wanted to live on a ship, but he has seriously researched the financial and medical aspects. They both agree they only need an inside cabin because they only use it to sleep and shower. They wanted to live on the Star, but now that the Star will relocate in 2013, I'm not sure what their plans are.

There is no comparison of the two type of ships. The World is only for multi millionaires and for most the cost is prohibitive. Plus, the World has very little in common with a cruise ship. There are no production shows or daily entertainment. It's like saying I live in a little studio beach cottage or a mansion. Like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different atmosphere.

Exactly. We were told it would be uncomfortable to try to live on The World if your net worth was less than $50,000,000. :p

I guess there is a chance I could possibly win that much in the lottery, but otherwise.........................................

I suppose I should look at a Princess ship. :)