Living full-time on a Princess ship?

PunkiC

There is obviously malpractice and insurance fraud, and then there is reality.

If one takes a prescription medication that is non-controlled and for which the dosage is X unless symptoms worsen, and then it's Y, the doctor (in my experience) is going to prescribe for Y and over time the inventory of the drug does accumulate. If one has to pay a high co-pay, this can be advantageous; if one cruises for longer than 90 days at a time, it can also be advantageous.

Maybe for some kinds of pain medication. Medication for conditions like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, blood thinners, drugs for mental conditions, antibiotics, birth control.........all need to be taken as prescribed by your doctor. I wouldn't count on a doctor writing a script for 2 pills a day but verbally telling you to only take one pill per day. You'll save on your copay but your copay is based on a maximum of a 30 (usually 90 day for mail order supply).

Exactly. We were told it would be uncomfortable to try to live on The World if your net worth was less than $50,000,000. :p

I guess there is a chance I could possibly win that much in the lottery, but otherwise.........................................

I suppose I should look at a Princess ship. :)

I have close relatives who have been on The World as guests of the Caption. My guess is my hubby could passably whine to his relatives in Norway and also be able to go on The World, but he doesn't like doing that sort of thing. Anyways the ships is completely different then a regular cruise ship and way way out of our league price wise.Never the less, I can dream can't I?

I got an e-mail from Princess today with an offer for @ of their Round the World cruise for 2013. if you are thinking about living on a princess ship you might want to try this first;

~Doris~> Who is tempted.

I got an e-mail from Princess today with an offer for @ of their Round the World cruise for 2013. if you are thinking about living on a princess ship you might want to try this first;

~Doris~> Who is tempted.

I heartily agree that a really long voyage to see how you held up would be a very good idea before you took the plunge.

Our medical facility mails almost all prescriptions so I don't see that as much of a challenge. We could have them mailed to friends or relatives and then figure out how to forward them to us. The only medication that either of us really needs to take is a thyroid medication for my husband and that does require an occasional blood test. Nor insurmountable problems.

~Doris~> Who is tempted.

Our friends book it this morning and I am so jealous.

Our friends book it this morning and I am so jealous.

I, too, would love to be on that cruise. Especially after seeing they changed the itinerary for the 2014 sailing. They dropped Guam, Japan, Korea and some others. I want so badly to get back to Guam for a visit. I hope that change isn't permanent.:(

Edited by LarryL

Our medical facility mails almost all prescriptions so I don't see that as much of a challenge. We could have them mailed to friends or relatives and then figure out how to forward them to us.

Mailing prescription meds to a foreign country is not a simple task and may not be permitted at all into some countries.

(Just try to mail some meds from Europe into the USA)

Mailing prescription meds to a foreign country is not a simple task and may not be permitted at all into some countries.

(Just try to mail some meds from Europe into the USA)

I would also be concerned with the timeliness of the delivery. It is one thing if you are repeatedly doing a cruise and returning to the same port, such as Alaska or the Caribbean where you would ou visit FLL or Whittier every week or two. However, a ship like the Ocean Princess can go months without visiting the same port.

There is no comparison of the two type of ships. The World is only for multi millionaires and for most the cost is prohibitive. Plus, the World has very little in common with a cruise ship. There are no production shows or daily entertainment. It's like saying I live in a little studio beach cottage or a mansion. Like comparing apples and oranges. Totally different atmosphere.

...and The World has restaurants where you pay for all your meals....there are no meals included on The World.

It would also be interesting to see how Princess would handle military and shareholder OBC, how much wine can you bring aboard (one bottle a week would take up the whole cabin!) and other details...

One of each per cruise. So it would depend on how you booked. One year long cruise? A month at a time? a week?

It would also be interesting to see how Princess would handle military and shareholder OBC, how much wine can you bring aboard (one bottle a week would take up the whole cabin!) and other details...

That's not an issue. We received 10 of each of them last winter, plus FCC and TA AND Captains Circle. We did bring wine on occasionally, but what took up space in our cabin was all the goodies we inherited from friends who were disembarking. At one point, we had a pantry in our closet (a storage tub we inherited) of unused minibar items and wine and liquor hand-me-downs. We had to work really hard and be very social the last month to use it all up!

As for bringing wine on board...the interesting thing is that, as you get to know security and the waitstaff really well, I think there could be an opportunity for real abuse of the rules, if one was so inclined (we aren't). I think we'd have had to walk on with a wheelbarrow-full of liquor for anyone to say anything to us. Anytime we brought on wine, and tried to point it out, we were waved on with something less than no scrutiny.

Pam--

First let me say that I have been "reading" you for a while now and appreciate all your info.. However, if your MD writes you a Rx for a drug for double your dose( 2 daily if you are only taking 1 daily), the MD is really comitting insurance fraud and if caught, could get into big trouble.. The insurance companies have the ability to audit pharmacies and MDs if they think somrthing just isn't right.

There is obviously malpractice and insurance fraud, and then there is reality.

If one takes a prescription medication that is non-controlled and for which the dosage is X unless symptoms worsen, and then it's Y, the doctor (in my experience) is going to prescribe for Y and over time the inventory of the drug does accumulate. If one has to pay a high co-pay, this can be advantageous; if one cruises for longer than 90 days at a time, it can also be advantageous.

And then there are those drugs that come bubble packed, with the intent of taking them X number of times daily, maybe even with the day of the week printed on the packaging. I can't imagine a doctor writing a prescription for a greater number of the medication than the standard, nor can I imagine an insurance company paying it (I REALLY can't imagine that! :rolleyes:). Maybe some doctors will prescribe higher dosages that can be split...I kind of doubt mine would.

Maybe for some kinds of pain medication. Medication for conditions like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, blood thinners, drugs for mental conditions, antibiotics, birth control.........all need to be taken as prescribed by your doctor. I wouldn't count on a doctor writing a script for 2 pills a day but verbally telling you to only take one pill per day. You'll save on your copay but your copay is based on a maximum of a 30 (usually 90 day for mail order supply).

In Pam's original post, she stated; Have your doctor write a prescription for twice the number of pills per month. At no time did she say to have him/her change the dosage as most of you are implying. An increased quantity of pills is not malpractice nor fraud as you would be charged for that particular number of pills. A phone call to the insurance company explaining that you would be away for extended period of time would more than likely get you an exemption as far as the copay maximum of pills is concerned.

One of each per cruise. So it would depend on how you booked. One year long cruise? A month at a time? a week?

I was thinking of booking one year at a time, if we ever get so lucky to be able to do so! One year on the Sapphire, a month on land, another year on the Emerald, etc. If I book this as one cruise, then I would get next to nada, but possibly Princess may adjust accordingly...

I think I just may call Princess and ask... Of course, we are definitely not at that point yet, but one can always dream!

As for the wine, I would just get a case of wine, then replenish in port, which would obviate the need to stock up...

Once I call Princess, I will let y'all know!

It's actually very simple. You need to request prior approval from the Princess Marine Department, the ship needs to be at least 12 miles from shore, and the remains need to be in either a biodegradable container or distributed directly (which is what we did.) I contacted the Purser's Desk after boarding, they consulted with the Navigator and then gave me some day/time options. A little bit of effort and not complicated at all.

Wouldn't you want to weight the body down so that it does not end up floating back up and maybe in to shore?

I was thinking of booking one year at a time, if we ever get so lucky to be able to do so! One year on the Sapphire, a month on land, another year on the Emerald, etc. If I book this as one cruise, then I would get next to nada, but possibly Princess may adjust accordingly...

I think I just may call Princess and ask... Of course, we are definitely not at that point yet, but one can always dream!

As for the wine, I would just get a case of wine, then replenish in port, which would obviate the need to stock up...

Once I call Princess, I will let y'all know!

You would not be booking a cruise for the year. It sounds like you would be booking 6 one month cruises and 6 one month land tours. So right there you would have 6 FCCs, six Military (possibly two each for 12), six shareholder, six loyalty and six travel agent.

Of course, everything is negotiable, so you might want to discuss with a manager or higher at Princess before booking.

Yes, it is nice to dream

We got a terrific offer for a World Cruise on ocean princess and that has been on my 'Bucket List' for a long time. We are seriously thinking that this may be the time to book it. I know we will never want to live year round on a ship, so this would be the longest cruise we would do.

~Doris~>Who is addicted to cruising.

Edited by dorisis
spelling

We got a terrific offer for a World Cruise on ocean princess and that has been on my 'Bucket List' for a long time. we are seriously thinking that this may be the time to book it. I know we will never want to live year round on a ship, so this would be the longest cruise we would do.

!Doris~>Who is addicted to cruising.

Go for it.

Not very funny and quite inappropriate.

I would agree. That is why I am sure the information can't be correct. I've never heard of a formal burial at sea where they just directly put the body into the water.

Burial at sea is rather uncommon, but when it does happen the body is normal inside some kind of bag. I am guessing this is what he meant when he said “bio-degradable container.” And there is also some method of adding weight to it so that the remains remain at the bottom.

Edited by 77Network

Paul.

Why don't you and jeannie join us. Just think of the luggage tags we could win.

~Doris~

Haven't talked Jeannie into a WC yet. Got her up to 49 days next winter. Hoing for 64 days in fall 2013. We will see.

Wouldn't you want to weight the body down so that it does not end up floating back up and maybe in to shore?

I would agree. That is why I am sure the information can't be correct. I've never heard of a formal burial at sea where they just directly put the body into the water.

Burial at sea is rather uncommon, but when it does happen the body is normal inside some kind of bag. I am guessing this is what he meant when he said “bio-degradable container.” And there is also some method of adding weight to it so that the remains remain at the bottom.

Please, If you are going to quote someone and then post a reply, PLEASE read ALL the posts in the thread first. Pam's information that you quoted was in regards to the "Burial-at-Sea of Cremated Ashes".

Also, the last most of us knew, Pam is a she, not a he.