Ships with real kids pools (not wading pools)

Volunton

I've contacted a number of cruise lines to find out if individual ships have KIDS pools, not wading or splash pools. If anyone has been on the Allure of the Seas you'll know I mean a pool the kids can swim in as opposed to the wading pool infants and toddlers walk in.

I'm mainly interested in ship names from the bigger companies ie. RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity and MSC. Disney is WAY too expensive for my tastes and everything I've heard suggests HAL is not 'kid-friendly' nor has kids pools.

I stand to be corrected - which is why I've posted on my friendly CC site. :D

We're looking at Caribbean in November/December 2012 if that helps.

My kids will both be 4.5 y.o. at that point.

Thanks to all who reply!

I recommend taking a look at Disney. They do indeed have kids pools, specifically two of them: one for wading/light swimming (Mickey's Pool) and the other an actual pool that is open to kids and families (Goofy's Pool). Given that your kids are (presumably) not in school yet, you would have the flexibility to travel during times when schools are in session, and thus prices are much more reasonable.

November and December are good months for finding (relatively) low rates -- EXCEPT for the week that includes Thanksgiving (this year, Nov. 22) and the week between Christmas and New Year's.

If your 4.5 year old is out of diapers, then they can use the main pool...they don't HAVE to stick to the kid's pool! The only pool they won't be able to access would be if the ship has an "adult only" area!

RCL Freedom of the Seas has a pool that's in the kid area. I think that's the same class of ship as the Allure, so probably a similar pool. This picture shows about half of the pool - it's round. My kids thought it was like being in a fish bowl, because the glass sides.

Also there is a bigger pool that you can sort of see on the other side of the Splash Zone in that picture. Much deeper. My daughter, who was 6 at the time, didn't go in it because it was over her head. My son (turned 9 on that cruise) spent a lot of time in it.

Edited to add - just checked, and Allure is Oasis class, so not the same class as the Freedom. Sorry!

8424_179526728008_3085935_n.jpg.8c7cfe4747147a2c69a1befbf6e7a412.jpg

My twins were #4 and #5, so I'm a pretty seasoned parent. 9 months is kind of a tough age - they're mobile, crawling and pulling up, but not walking. Some babies love the stroller, some do not. So, either they're in the stroller, or crawling around. Cabins are small, especially with 2 pack-n-plays. On sea days, they'd be stuck in the stroller, or I guess you could take them to a closed lounge to crawl around.

One piece of baby equipment I couldn't have done without at that age was my exersaucer - kept them entertained, and contained! I'd try to find a line that had some kind of nursery - I don't think many offer this. If you aren't breastfeeding, most babies that age drink 4 bottles a day. They're also on solid food, including some finger food.

Be prepared to pack a lot - food, diapers, carseats, formula, bibs, spoons, wipes, medicine, blankets, toys, extra clothes, stroller, tub, bottles... Personally, I waited until my twins were 18 months before we vacationed with them. Still exhausting, but as least they were walking and eating table food/milk.

Oops - this was supposed to be under the baby twins thread!

Well I went on the Summit (Celebrity) last summer to Bermuda. Celebrity definitely has "family" pools. They are not splash or toddler wading pools but regular pools that anyone can use. I assume by 4.5 that diapers aren't an issue - but that is the only restriction for the main pools (they do have an adult only pool but that is indoors). Some of the ships also have a fountain area to walk around in next to the main pool so you get the best of both. By the way my 4 year old loved the cruise as did her then 2 year old sister. We are going again this summer and they will be 3 and 5- they both are excited to swim and go to the fun factory!

Thank you very much for the 4-1-1. :)

I've considered the celebrity but wondered if it would be too 'premium' class for a family. Actually there will be 5 kids (between 4.5- 7 y.o.) and 4 adults.

But it sounds like it might be a nice change from NCL and RCCL if the pool area is kid friendly.

Was the child activity program on the ship good?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the 4-1-1. :)

I've considered the celebrity but wondered if it would be too 'premium' class for a family. Actually there will be 5 kids (between 4.5- 7 y.o.) and 4 adults.

But it sounds like it might be a nice change from NCL and RCCL if the pool area is kid friendly.

Was the child activity program on the ship good?

Thanks!

Well we had to drag our 4 year old out of the program every time she went. I think with any program going when there are plenty of kids on board is key. She is excited about going back this summer.

Here are some of our favorites - RCI Freedom and Oasis class for the H2o Zone.

This picture was taken on Independence (Freedom and liberty looked exactly the same. Oasis and Allure are bigger)

050.jpg

The Norwegian and Disney pools are nice because the kids can swim, splash AND slide!

This is Norwegian...(this is from Jewel, Gem looked exactly the same)

079.jpg

And this is from Disney Wonder - Magic looked exactly the same

178.jpg

The Carnival ships had some children's pool on all of the ships we were on. But we haven't been on them since the "Evolutions of Fun" upgrade - so I don't want to show you a pool that may have been replaced by a water works area. ;)

For reference, Cruisinmama's first picture is the reverse angle of the shot I posted. The pool in the foreground of her picture is the deeper pool I was referring to behind the Splash Zone in my post.

For reference, Cruisinmama's first picture is the reverse angle of the shot I posted. The pool in the foreground of her picture is the deeper pool I was referring to behind the Splash Zone in my post.

123.jpg

127.jpg

043.jpg

Yes the pool you posted we lovingly refer to as the "Lazy Donut" pool. It acts like a Lazy River in that it has a moving current - but since it goes around in a circle - those of us around here (and on the RCI board) have nicknamed that pool the lazy donut. My kids LOVE that pool! :) and actually I think it's lots of fun too!

Are you talking about a pool for beginning swimmers? Or can your kids swim in a regular pool?

Haven't been on a Carnival cruise in about 10 years, but I would think they would have a pool that your kids can enjoy. Princess has pools, too (fresh water, as opposed to salt water). My daughter was 5, 7, 8 and 13 on the Princess cruises we've been on, and was able to enjoy the pools each time.

Well, we booked FOTS on RCCL December 9, 2012.

Very much looking forward to it. We did the Allure last November 2011 so we pretty much know what to expect. :)

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my query. :D

Maybe we'll see some of you at the M&M on the ship!

Archived