Permission to travel or treat letter for 24 yr. old?

sherin65

Our daughter's boyfriend is going on a cruise with us in Dec. He will be 24 and the booking agent at Carnival said we should get a letter from his parents saying that he can travel with us and we have the right to approve medical treatment if necessary. He's an adult but she said the age for Carnival is 25 to cruise alone.

Any suggestions on where to get a form or is a notarized letter good enough?

Sher

This doesn't sound right to me at all.

My understanding is that you can be in your own cabin at 21. If someone in a cabin is under 21, then someone 25+ has to be in the cabin with them.

I think you're getting wrong info.

Our daughter's boyfriend is going on a cruise with us in Dec. He will be 24 and the booking agent at Carnival said we should get a letter from his parents saying that he can travel with us and we have the right to approve medical treatment if necessary. He's an adult but she said the age for Carnival is 25 to cruise alone.

Sher

my bf and i have been on 1 cruise..monday will be our second.. im 29 and he is 22 and he was 21 on our 1st cruise.. he took his birth certificate and they were no questions asked at all..

Sher

Geez, and we thought some TA's are out to lunch.

Too bad you probably didn't get his name.

Of course he doesn't need a letter. Good grief.

The age to travel is 21. Anyone under 21 would need an adult at least 25 in the cabin

The only thing that i can think of that you might need is permission to make medical decisions in case he should become incapacitated. You might check with the cruise line directly. You might also check with your family practioner to see if there is a form to fill out and take with you. I never considered this before. Please post what you find out.

Sher

Don't waste your time. The booking agent is clueless. The age to travel alone is 21, not 25 (there are rules that is someone under 21 is in a cabin that there has to be someone over 25 there too but that doesn't apply).

No one can give consent for treatment for a 24 year old unless they are unconscious and absolutely no one can give or deny them permission to travel.

You should report the agent to CCL and find a new one for yourself.

The only thing that i can think of that you might need is permission to make medical decisions in case he should become incapacitated. You might check with the cruise line directly. You might also check with your family practioner to see if there is a form to fill out and take with you. I never considered this before. Please post what you find out.

If that is the case the letter comes from him, not his parents.

Geez, and we thought some TA's are out to lunch.

Too bad you probably didn't get his name.

Of course he doesn't need a letter. Good grief.

The age to travel is 21. Anyone under 21 would need an adult at least 25 in the cabin

This is correct. My first cruise my boyfriend and I were 19 and each of us 'had' to be in a room with someone 25 or older so we booked that way but switched room keys. The second cruise we were both 21 and were allowed to have our own room.

I'm wondering: how old is your daughter and are they sharing a cabin? If your daughter is under 21, wouldn't that make a difference?

And the medical thing seems just standard. It's not a matter of guardianship of a minor, just the "emergency contact". It's easier for that person to be a fellow traveler, than a family member hundreds of miles away.

(and this is all just my opinion ;))

So maybe it makes a difference because my daughter's boyfriend (24) will actually be sharing a cabin with my son (20). They are in the cabin next to us but maybe she suggested it since no one in the cabin is at least 25.? I don't know.....maybe I will call back and see if we should just switch some names so that someone in each cabin is at least 25. My daughter is sharing the cabin on the other side of me with my sister who is much older than 25 ;)

So maybe it makes a difference because my daughter's boyfriend (24) will actually be sharing a cabin with my son (20). They are in the cabin next to us but maybe she suggested it since no one in the cabin is at least 25.? I don't know.....maybe I will call back and see if we should just switch some names so that someone in each cabin is at least 25. My daughter is sharing the cabin on the other side of me with my sister who is much older than 25 ;)

Yup - sounds like that's the issue. so maybe the agent did know what s/he was talking about after all ;)

Does anyone know what the rules are for a sister and brother between the ages of 21 and 24 cruising together? I know it would be okay if they were those ages and married (or in a civil union.) So is it okay if they're related by other means? I can't seem to find this scenario anywhere on the Carnival website. One PVP said they can't, but another said, "Yes, of course they can."

Does anyone know what the rules are for a sister and brother between the ages of 21 and 24 cruising together? I know it would be okay if they were those ages and married (or in a civil union.) So is it okay if they're related by other means? I can't seem to find this scenario anywhere on the Carnival website. One PVP said they can't, but another said, "Yes, of course they can."

of course they can. Only an issue if one is under 21. You'd think a Carnival PVP would know the policy which has been in effect for years

If you are cruising then the rules are different. There is no need for someone over 25 in the cabin in that case.

of course they can. Only an issue if one is under 21. You'd think a Carnival PVP would know the policy which has been in effect for years

Got it. I knew there was some restriction about needing to be 25 to travel, but when I read the website again, I see that's only if you're with someone under 21. So the exception for married couples/civil unions is for when one or both people are under 21. Both over 21 is okay for anyone. (I see that they also have an exception for members of the military under 21.) That misinformation from the one PVP (not our regular PVP, who was out that day) had me worried. I wanted to make sure there aren't any problems when they arrive at the port.

I don't think so.

Absolutely hilarious that a 24 yr old would need a note from mommy to cruise

This has nothing to do with my post. And besides, the OP said the rep said she "should" have a note (or something) for medical care. Ordinarily the next of kin gets to make the decisions, not the GF's parents.

If you are cruising then the rules are different. There is no need for someone over 25 in the cabin in that case.

That makes more sense (even if they're not related? just a question, not a disagreement)

This has nothing to do with my post. And besides, the OP said the rep said she "should" have a note (or something) for medical care. Ordinarily the next of kin gets to make the decisions, not the GF's parents.

that's like if you were sailing with a friend in your cabin. Do you think you would get a permission for emergency medical for your friend?

For a cruise I wouldn't think it would be necessary but my office just did a Limited Health Care Power of Attorney for two friends that are traveling for a few months through Europe. They are both older so they've given each other permission to make medical decisions while they travel, as soon as they get back to the US their normal provisions will kick back in. This was just a precaution because one of them has some health problems. Not that this is always necessary but not a bad idea for older people who are traveling with friends and not a spouse, child, or another person who normally has HCPOA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I called Carnival customer service and the rep I talked to said that my daughter's boyfriend does not need any kind of letter or permission because he is an adult.

My son (20) is okay to room with him because we are also going to be on the cruise.

The rep apologized for the error of the booking agent and told us we were fine with our cabin arrangement and booking.

I'm glad it is resolved. I thought the whole thing was very strange but the kids had never gone with us when we went on a Carnival cruise so I wanted to make sure we followed the rules.

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions!

Sher

This doesn't sound right to me at all.

My understanding is that you can be in your own cabin at 21. If someone in a cabin is under 21, then someone 25+ has to be in the cabin with them.

I think you're getting wrong info.

This is correct. A cruiser is considered an adult at 21. I call it the age of consumption.;):p:D

Archived